Sponsored by:

Sport PASM Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:41 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sport PASM Ride Height

With Sport PASM, the car is lowered 20mm. Is this drop fixed or dynamic. That is, is the ride height at the standard/non-PASM height and when you toggle Sport PASM on the console, the ride height drops? Or is the ride hide fixed, and when you toggle Sport PASM, only the dampers and anti-roll bars dynamically stiffen up?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It stays only one height...fixed.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Here's a GTS with PASM Sport (I checked the sticker.) Gives you an idea of the ride height of the shorter, stiffer springs. The car next to it is a base Carrera, but I don't know if it has PASM; not even sure if PASM is optional on 3.4s?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

This isn't an air suspension that lowers and raises the car. Valving on the shocks are electronically controlled for shorter travel over bumps in pasm mode. Springs are 20 mm lower than a stock 911 spring and 10 mm further lower than a pasm optioned car. Electronically controlled roll bars are part of a different option. Called pdcc.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:27 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
This isn't an air suspension that lowers and raises the car. Valving on the shocks are electronically controlled for shorter travel over bumps in pasm mode. Springs are 20 mm lower than a stock 911 spring and 10 mm further lower than a pasm optioned car. Electronically controlled roll bars are part of a different option. Called pdcc.
As I understand it, PASM valving changes the rebound rate, not the rebound distance.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:17 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
As I understand it, PASM valving changes the rebound rate, not the rebound distance.
Compression and rebound are both affected. Distance is the byproduct of tighter valving. A shock travels less when the orifice in the shock becomes smaller. It takes more time for the gas or oil to travel to the opposite side of the valve. I should have make it more clear. Sorry
Old 03-04-2015, 03:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Compression and rebound are both affected. Distance is the byproduct of tighter valving. A shock travels less when the orifice in the shock becomes smaller. It takes more time for the gas or oil to travel to the opposite side of the valve. I should have make it more clear. Sorry
We are likely agreeing. The key point is that the hydraulic processes inside of the shock do not affect the ride hight of the car.

The speed of the action of rebounding against the spring deflection is varied by PASM. When it is more instantaneous due to a shorter path for fluid to move, it is more responsive and feels stiffer; when its slower due to a shorter path for fluid to move, it is less responsive and feels softer.

The big question is how Porsche missed minting a new P acronym for its air suspension technology!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckbdc

We are likely agreeing. the key point is that the hydraulic processes inside of the shock do not affect the ride hight of the car.

The speed of the action of rebounding against the spring deflection is varied by PASM. When it is more instantaneous due to a shorter path for fluid to move, it is more responsive and feels stiffer; when its slower due to a shorter path for fluid to move, it is less responsive and feels softer.
I believe we are on the same path except for terminology. The way I have understood it is that compression occurs when the shock is traveling towards the spring and rebound away.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:59 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GMG springs would be a good option vs the sport pasm. I would want the car to sit tad lower than sport pasm.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

How much lower are those springs vs. SPASM?
Old 03-10-2015, 08:08 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
not even sure if PASM is optional on 3.4s?
Yes it is. And so is Sports PASM, because I have it (and PTV) on my 3.4.....
Old 03-10-2015, 08:21 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Excellent! Good to see they're not leaving off the desireable options to try and force everyone into S's.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 AM
rflanaga
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Chin Spoiler W and W/O Sport Suspension

Hopefully someone can assist before I make a mistake I'll regret. I have a 2013 Carrera 911S with standard dual mode PASM, no Sport Suspension. However, I want the extended front spoiler that comes with the sport suspension, the tongue looking front spoiler. I have done exhaustive physical measuring and reading but still not 100% sure on this one. Can someone please offer a factual suggestion on whether this is a Total Clearance Mistake? Std PASM on/off vs Sport Suspension PASM on/off clearance details. Actually, just a simple it's OK or don't mess with your car would be fine but I do love the technical details. Thank you all very much for any help.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:06 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by rflanaga
Hopefully someone can assist before I make a mistake I'll regret. I have a 2013 Carrera 911S with standard dual mode PASM, no Sport Suspension. However, I want the extended front spoiler that comes with the sport suspension, the tongue looking front spoiler. I have done exhaustive physical measuring and reading but still not 100% sure on this one. Can someone please offer a factual suggestion on whether this is a Total Clearance Mistake? Std PASM on/off vs Sport Suspension PASM on/off clearance details. Actually, just a simple it's OK or don't mess with your car would be fine but I do love the technical details. Thank you all very much for any help.
Nothing you do with the PASM setting has anything to do with ride hight. Add the spoiler, enjoy it. Just be aware its there, that it sticks out and down slightly more than the stock spoiler and avoid curbs and steep driveways.

Mine is now 4 years old, has some scrapes on the bottom where they are unobtrusive. I managed to pop it off once when I first got the car.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 02-13-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:15 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Rflanaga, welcome to RL.

A common misconception about PASM and PASM Sport (SPASM unofficially) is that it adjust ride height in some way. As chuck above says, it does not do that.

In a nutshell, PASM and SPASM are the same things EXCEPT for one difference: SPASM has shorter springs and thus the ride height is (permanently) 10mm lower than PASM.

No PASM: Sea Level
PASM: Sea Level minus 10mm
SPASM: Sea Level minus 20mm

Quick Reply: Sport PASM Ride Height