Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does the 991 GTS get extra power from?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:57 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

quite correct. the sho has twin turbos. me bad.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
The GTS I had last week had over 4500 miles on the clock... It was well "run in".. and oh how different it was from when I had the same car with 750 miles on it..

The engine is amazing.. It pulls and pulls... It just keeps going.
The exhaust sound is so much better than 991s. No drone at lower rev at all and then a bark and a roar and you are off...

It may only be 24hp extra but woah I miss it now I have my 991s back.

PTS GTS on order.
Good to know. I have a good suspicion that Porsche is sandbagging the engine with some kind of computer program to limit it's output in the first few thousand miles. I've read somewhere that the full break-in for the motor is 6200 miles. I have never heard of any engine needing that much of a break-in process. Sounded quite awkward to me. I believe it was in the x51 conversion literature.
I only have about 160 miles on the motor so far. North east whether is preventing me from driving unfortunately.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Good to know. I have a good suspicion that Porsche is sandbagging the engine with some kind of computer program to limit it's output in the first few thousand miles. I've read somewhere that the full break-in for the motor is 6200 miles. I have never heard of any engine needing that much of a break-in process. Sounded quite awkward to me. I believe it was in the x51 conversion literature.
I only have about 160 miles on the motor so far. North east whether is preventing me from driving unfortunately.
The GTS is a fantastic car but there is no proof anywhere that there is any kind of software limitation on engine performance up to 6200 miles. Not saying, that there is no truth to an engine 'breaking in', but have a really hard time thinking there are Porsche made software limitations on performance.

The 50th which has the same X51 package, has been out for a considerable amount of time and from the get go to now, I haven't seen any data that would suggest it is a significant increase over a 1) Carrera S and 2) itself when new.

I've seen greater variations in 991S tests from different magazines/journalists than I have from the best 991 50th or GTS data as compared to 991S data.

I think the x51 is certainly more powerful but not to the level some people perceive it to be.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:36 AM
BruceSA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GTS I drove had 309 miles on and the sales guy said sports plus and floor it! Definitely no limiter on that car and no concern for running in. The only thing he asked me not to do was brake too hard!

My build date is 9 March....i should not have driven the GTS as it has made me very impatient!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:02 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptikal12
The GTS is a fantastic car but there is no proof anywhere that there is any kind of software limitation on engine performance up to 6200 miles. Not saying, that there is no truth to an engine 'breaking in', but have a really hard time thinking there are Porsche made software limitations on performance.

The 50th which has the same X51 package, has been out for a considerable amount of time and from the get go to now, I haven't seen any data that would suggest it is a significant increase over a 1) Carrera S and 2) itself when new.

I've seen greater variations in 991S tests from different magazines/journalists than I have from the best 991 50th or GTS data as compared to 991S data.

I think the x51 is certainly more powerful but not to the level some people perceive it to be.
You obviously missed the post by fellow member OMG Noooooo. He stated that the car felt very different from his first experience at 750 miles to his second experience at 4500 miles.
To be honest I have even seen a road test on the 50 anniversary. Where it is much slower 0 to 60 and the quarter than most 991s times. My point is not to inflate the cars performance by any means. I just believe that Porsche has done something different with this engine. Break-in may take longer or maybe it's computer limited for a period of time. Who knows.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
WTF ... how did they manage to rack up 4.5k on a GTS, press car - oh wait this was a Silverstone car right? - that explains it!

I wonder if the difference in exhaust note is due to PSE redesign for GTS, or simply a side-effect of the X51 intake system changes passed thru to the
exhaust system?

PTS huh ... didn't know that was available now, what colour did you choose and when is your production?

enjoy!
The car is not a Silverstone track car... It is a demonstrator from the dealership. The same Carmine red GTS I first posted pics of when it was 1st released.

PTS will be available from June on the GTS. So its available for the last run of cars, they will stop production of the GTS around September, that's what I have been told. Remember this info comes from the dealership that can not tighten wheel nuts..

The colour is not chosen.. I like all the blues, Mexico, Riviera etc... But there are some lovely grey tones available too.. not sure.. I have plenty of time to get flustered yet.. Hoping for September production, my 2015 C2s will be a year old in October.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

You obviously missed the post by fellow member OMG Noooooo. He stated that the car felt very different from his first experience at 750 miles to his second experience at 4500 miles.
To be honest I have even seen a road test on the 50 anniversary. Where it is much slower 0 to 60 and the quarter than most 991s times. My point is not to inflate the cars performance by any means. I just believe that Porsche has done something different with this engine. Break-in may take longer or maybe it's computer limited for a period of time. Who knows.
The car may have felt different but that could be from any number of variables, including what the OP had for breakfast and how strong his coffee was. What really matters is the data in controlled tests.

The 50th and GTS is not slower than any 991S but I don't think its massively faster either. MotorTrend did a comparison between the 50th and Jaguar F-Type where they posted some stats for their routine tests for the 911 - 1/4, 0-60, braking and figure 8. Conditions were not identical to their other 991 tests as they didn't test them all on the same day, however the results were about the same. Until there is a better, more consistent test with controlled variables across the model range and across time, I don't think its fair to go off by 'feel' alone or to say that suddenly at 6200 miles (or whatever) the extra performance is unleashed.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:07 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

The car may have felt different but that could be from any number of variables, including what the OP had for breakfast and how strong his coffee was. What really matters is the data in controlled tests.

The 50th and GTS is not slower than any 991S but I don't think its massively faster either. MotorTrend did a comparison between the 50th and Jaguar F-Type where they posted some stats for their routine tests for the 911 - 1/4, 0-60, braking and figure 8. Conditions were not identical to their other 991 tests as they didn't test them all on the same day, however the results were about the same. Until there is a better, more consistent test with controlled variables across the model range and across time, I don't think its fair to go off by 'feel' alone or to say that suddenly at 6200 miles (or whatever) the extra performance is unleashed.
I've actually seen that video on You Tube. EDIT:
Here is the MT article in question. Unrelated with the video. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on_first_test/
The 50th was actually slower than a comparable 991s that was tested at a pryer date. They even commented that the 991s was faster by two tenths. They thought something may have bin wrong with the vehicle.

Last edited by jimbo1111; 03-03-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceSA
The GTS I drove had 309 miles on and the sales guy said sports plus and floor it! Definitely no limiter on that car and no concern for running in.
I'm hazarding a guess here that the salesman was not planning on buying that particular car himself.

But somebody will buy it. Somebody who will no doubt be told by this same salesman the car was babied during the Porsche-recommended break-in period and only driven to church on Sundays by a lady in a hat with flowers on it.

I just can't bring myself to abuse a sub-500-mile car that I know will wind up in somebody's hands. :shrug:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
The car is not a Silverstone track car... It is a demonstrator from the dealership. The same Carmine red GTS I first posted pics of when it was 1st released.

PTS will be available from June on the GTS. So its available for the last run of cars, they will stop production of the GTS around September, that's what I have been told. Remember this info comes from the dealership that can not tighten wheel nuts..

The colour is not chosen.. I like all the blues, Mexico, Riviera etc... But there are some lovely grey tones available too.. not sure.. I have plenty of time to get flustered yet.. Hoping for September production, my 2015 C2s will be a year old in October.
Wow they have really demonstrated that car then! Go Mexico Blue ... or checkout Voodoo as well or Maritime ...

Since its clearly not rev limiting the engine during break-in pretty much the only other variables at play that the ECU could possibly play with are fuel/air mix and rate of change ... I doubt they do this, but clearly the ECU has the
information on hours/distance driven in order to apply a set of break-in
constraints initiallt

I've actually seen that video on You Tube. EDIT:
Here is the MT article in question. Unrelated with the video. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on_first_test/
The 50th was actually slower than a comparable 991s that was tested at a pryer date. They even commented that the 991s was faster by two tenths. They thought something may have bin wrong with the vehicle.
I think its more likely to be machanical break in issues with the various engine components that result in a performance improvement after breakin
Old 03-03-2015, 06:33 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

I truly believe that somehow the cars run better after some unknown ??? miles on them. My 13 991 S seemed to come alive after about 6500 miles. Will literally and repeatedly break the rear tires loose when upshifting at redline in second gear and the rear end will noticeably slip sideways slightly. When it first happened it surprised me. I thought something was wrong until I realized what was going on and repeated it. Mind you I have tracked and autoxed the car since 1800 miles so I know that something is going on.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:52 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Wow they have really demonstrated that car then! Go Mexico Blue ... or checkout Voodoo as well or Maritime ...

Since its clearly not rev limiting the engine during break-in pretty much the only other variables at play that the ECU could possibly play with are fuel/air mix and rate of change ... I doubt they do this, but clearly the ECU has the
constraints initiallt

I think its more likely to be machanical break in issues with the various engine components that result in a performance improvement after breakin
I hear you but it still doesn't make sense because a 991s would also suffer the same initial break in. Rendering the difference moot.
As far as the ECU is concerned. I would think it quite easy to retard the timing out a bit. Not saying this is what Porsche is doing. Just pointing out that it can be done.
I guess we'll have to wait till summer time to get some more feedback. With more units released to the public.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

I hear you but it still doesn't make sense because a 991s would also suffer the same initial break in. Rendering the difference moot.
As far as the ECU is concerned. I would think it quite easy to retard the timing out a bit. Not saying this is what Porsche is doing. Just pointing out that it can be done.
I guess we'll have to wait till summer time to get some more feedback. With more units released to the public.
yup.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

constraints initiallt
It's certainly within the means of ECU technology for Porsche to do this but see very little financial gain in doing so. Customer test drives are usually on lower mileage cars where first impressions matter and journalists get cars with little to no miles on them and post their reviews/tests based on these drives.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Originally Posted by KBS911
I truly believe that somehow the cars run better after some unknown ??? miles on them. My 13 991 S seemed to come alive after about 6500 miles. Will literally and repeatedly break the rear tires loose when upshifting at redline in second gear and the rear end will noticeably slip sideways slightly. When it first happened it surprised me. I thought something was wrong until I realized what was going on and repeated it. Mind you I have tracked and autoxed the car since 1800 miles so I know that something is going on.
It very well could be that the engine is performing better with some miles on due to "breaking in". However, it can also be that the tires are now more worn and are easier to break loose. I just think its tough to say as the variables are almost endless.

Quick Reply: Where does the 991 GTS get extra power from?