Sponsored by:

dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Selfishly, my time is valuable. Professionally, my time is limited. I appreciate every one of my clients, but not when they drop in un-announced. I'm not prepared to see them and I may not even be able to see them. So I can hardly imagine how this serves them well. If I'm available I love to see them... but after 21 years at the same company, I'm usually busy. So I figure the Porsche sales person should be treated the same way. The advice above about relationship building is spot on. I make a point to say some "Hellos" when ever I'm in their building but I don't expect them to be at my beck and call unless I've scheduled an appointment. I think the buyer demographic is very different... and thus the sales approach is very different too. Once you're aware of the difference I think you'll quite like it!
+1. Ray, I just had the fortune of purchasing my first porsche (targa 4s in avatar) recently and I can say their approach is certainly different, but it is unique as well in every dealership I visited (and I visited 4 because I had 5 in my area). They may come across "snobby" at first but if they sense you're serious and not just a tire-kicker, generally I found them all to be congenial people. I agree with the above, get to know one of the SAs well and they will take their time with you to build an order to your specifications (or go out on a test drive with a car on the lot).
Old 02-27-2015, 09:39 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Selfishly, my time is valuable. Professionally, my time is limited. I appreciate every one of my clients, but not when they drop in un-announced.

I'm not prepared to see them and I may not even be able to see them. So I can hardly imagine how this serves them well. If I'm available I love to see them... but after 21 years at the same company, I'm usually busy.

So I figure the Porsche sales person should be treated the same way. The advice above about relationship building is spot on. I make a point to say some "Hellos" when ever I'm in their building but I don't expect them to be at my beck and call unless I've scheduled an appointment.

I think the buyer demographic is very different... and thus the sales approach is very different too. Once you're aware of the difference I think you'll quite like it!
Interesting perspective....so, I guess a car dealership would not be considered a retail establishment in your minds eye then?

For me, it's a retail store with retail hours and retail salespeople. Yes, they may be busy and you may have to wait to see someone in particular...but I have found that 9 out of 10 of them are just blabbering idiot retail sales people...it's very rare to actually find that 10th person...

The 10th, I'd wait for...
Old 02-28-2015, 07:47 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sharm, I share your good fortune... Our Targa 4S is on order!

SoCal, I find if I treat a dealership like Walmart, that's about what I get in return. And it drives me out of my skull to tolerate that stereo-typical sales rep that knows nothing about the product.

Good reps are usually busy. Bad reps are usually available. I don't want a bad rep, so I make sure the good reps are busy with me!

Quick Reply: dealerships