Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I get to owning a porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:42 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Here's a hint: if you admire Porsches, don't strive to buy a Porsche. Strive to be Porsche.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:18 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

It's possible to get one young, it all depends on how discipline you are.

I'll share my own story. I'm currently 29, and on my 2nd Porsche (997.2 base). My first was a 06 Cayman S I bought when I was 25/26. As long as you have the funds to back it up, then I say go for it.

But pay attention when I say "have the funds". If you're from a very wealthy family with "generous" parents, then obviously ignore my post. Have the funds does not mean living paycheck to paycheck, rent an apartment with no covered parking and 50-60% of your flexible spending every month goes to the car. If that's the case even if you bought the car you will end up selling it within 6 months.

Aside from the basic go to a decent college and get a nice job, work hard, blah, blah, blah, the most important thing is to SAVE. And if your dream car is the 911, aim for this car only, and not have a bunch of stepping stone cars. The biggest mistake I've made myself is trying to jump into the nicest car I could afford at the moment, and then later realizing it's not what I want and then as a result thousands of dollars lost per car. Please don't make the same mistake. Be smarter than me.

The biggest challenge will be owning your own place (20% down). This must come first before your nice car. And you would want to purchase a nice place, in a nice area, since you'll be driving and parking a 911.

Very doable but as with any long term goal, you need to be determined.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:28 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Here's a hint: if you admire Porsches, don't strive to buy a Porsche. Strive to be Porsche.
I like that.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Be the ball, Billy.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:39 PM
hkjock
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my first Porsche at 22, a 944. I moved home to live with mom and dad to do so. It was worth it . At 24 I got my first 911 while still living with them
Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hkjock
I got my first Porsche at 22, a 944. I moved home to live with mom and dad to do so. It was worth it . At 24 I got my first 911 while still living with them
Well, I guess there's always that option. Good job! Not only saves the cost of rent, but Mom can cook for you, buy groceries, and clean your undies to save laundry costs!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:11 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Originally Posted by Grunty
Be the ball, Billy.
That's what I was thinking, Ty
Old 02-27-2015, 11:12 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Didn't buy my first until I could write a check for it
Old 02-28-2015, 03:23 AM
Teaj
AutoX

Hi guys. Thanks a lot for the responses!
I guess that most of you are right when you say that I shouldn't let a car determine what I want to become when I grow up.
Thanks for reminding me of that
Old 02-28-2015, 03:25 AM
Teaj
AutoX

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Go to school for something you love not because it could possibly afford you a 911.

I didn't buy my first 911 until I was in my 30's so hate to say it kid you could be in for a long wait. Its not a bad thing as I worked my way up from my mom's 1985 Honda Civic semi-automatic transmission, choke pulling, reliable super car that it was! From there on I owned Honda CRX's, Acura Integra's, the odd truck, etc. until I was able to complete University. I worked two jobs while in University then ended up marrying young at 24, married for 5 years, moved to Dubai then abruptly became divorced. Landed an incredible job out of my sheer determination to cold call Dubai project management firms then began to play with exotics like the NSX (owned 3), a few 911's all while dating and ended up with my current wife and now kids. I spent a total of 9 years in Dubai when the original plan was 1 or 2 years max.

My point is that your life is only at the 15-year old point and you certainly have loads of experiences and life ahead. I've always been a car nut and always will (that never leaves us) but don't be in a rush and don't prevent yourself from experiencing the world or other things just to afford a car payment on a 911.

Now I'm 38 and finishing my MBA (thesis due in 2 months) and you never know what occurs once you obtain a great education and market yourself properly.

Good luck with school and remember to study what you love.
Yea, I guess you're completely right. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:37 AM
Teaj
AutoX

Originally Posted by hfm
Don't ask us, ask yourself what you want to do. Don't pick a career that will just lead you to money in order to buy a car, that will just disappoint you. What good is it to have a car and hate your job and life?

Pick a career you love. You'll work hard to be the best you can be for that career, you'll love your life and, the car will follow as a by-product.

Yea that's true I suppose. Sorry for asking such a silly question
Old 02-28-2015, 03:40 AM
Teaj
AutoX

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
If the OP is indeed still around, I can relate somewhat.

I'm 19 and a mech eng. student in my third year, hoping to trade up from my Focus ST into a 911 at some point in the next few years(hopefully). I'm personally turned off somewhat by the 991.2s but am waiting to see what they look and sound like once they're out; not that I'll be able to afford them as crazily priced as they are nowadays even in the lowest base trim IMO. My dad's '74 911 is what got me into cars and Porsche.

This past summer, I finally bit the Porsche bullet, worked my butt off all summer and purchased an '84 944 which I love dearly.

Since I'm an old man in a young kid's body when it comes to cars, I'm hoping to get into a 997.2 as my first 911, perfectly content with even a base C2 if it means anything. Heck, I'll even take a Cayman as it appears to be the closest thing to driving a classic 911 nowadays. I'm the weird kid that tries to avoid all the high tech gimmicks in modern cars as much as possible(touch screens and such that I don't need and are things that will just break and be costly later on) which is a losing battle nowadays but I digress. The one thing I love about the 997 compared to the 991 is the fact that there's an actual handbrake, I'm that weird.

Unfortunately, everything takes a LOT of time, so I'd recommend to not pick a job or career solely to get the car you want most, but the one you'll love and be happy. Get the education, internships, what have you, and you'll be on your way.

The only thing I fear stopping us, is the BS with emissions and whatnot in the future that I'm most certainly not looking forwards too as time goes on, killing the spirit and soul of the cars that I love dearly, which only makes me want these cars faster no matter how unrealistic that can be. But do have your top priorities set right, you only have one life and in some cases, one chance to do what you want, unless you're rich...

Best of luck
Wow congrats on the 944! I'm kind of on the same boat as you, just a few years behind. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-28-2015, 04:02 AM
Spyder34
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Some very wise old people posting here. Who really knew what they wanted to do when they were 20 years old? Damn, I didn't know until I was 30. Too many young people pick careers 'cause they think they want to be an anthropologist or psychologist and then realize there's no jobs or $ in it and wind up waiting tables or working in a fast food restaurant. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not what they "loved" and it certainly ain't going to buy you a 911.

I had big dreams when I was 15 and carrying a golf bag for some muckety muck. And I picked a career in finance 'cause I wanted to achieve those dreams. And I could have changed careers if I wanted with that background. Fortunately it all worked out. Made a few sacrifices (relos) along the way and I couldn't have written a better script.

So let me be the odd man out and say-- do dream big and do pick a career that will allow you to achieve your dreams. You may not know at 15 or even 20 what you want to do-- so given all the choices, pick one that allows you to get that 911. And then work your friggen ash off at it.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:23 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yes also.... Life will most likely not take you down the path you expected. Be flexible, adapt, and make the most of any opportunity you get. No one owes you nothing so run with it, as fast as you can.

As they say, drive it like you stole it.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:45 AM
Teaj
AutoX

Originally Posted by Spyder34
Wow! Some very wise old people posting here. Who really knew what they wanted to do when they were 20 years old? Damn, I didn't know until I was 30. Too many young people pick careers 'cause they think they want to be an anthropologist or psychologist and then realize there's no jobs or $ in it and wind up waiting tables or working in a fast food restaurant. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not what they "loved" and it certainly ain't going to buy you a 911.

I had big dreams when I was 15 and carrying a golf bag for some muckety muck. And I picked a career in finance 'cause I wanted to achieve those dreams. And I could have changed careers if I wanted with that background. Fortunately it all worked out. Made a few sacrifices (relos) along the way and I couldn't have written a better script.

So let me be the odd man out and say-- do dream big and do pick a career that will allow you to achieve your dreams. You may not know at 15 or even 20 what you want to do-- so given all the choices, pick one that allows you to get that 911. And then work your friggen ash off at it.
Haha you've got a point there too

Quick Reply: How I get to owning a porsche 911