GTS test drive (Silverstone) today

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:17 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS test drive (Silverstone) today

Hi Guys,

Just got back from Silverstone where I drove the 2GTS with and without PDCC and Ceramic brakes and it is fantastic either way, however, there are differences...

Ceramic brakes (in my opinion) most definitely stop more quickly and more dynamically and the cars overall performance seemed better! (i am not an expert though just a reg joe)

PDCC is an option I like very much and had it on my last car and ordered again and I enjoy less roll etc... The good thing is it can be turned off if needed or wanted so for me its a win win! *Recently informed that this option can not be turned off regardless of ON/OFF button....! TBC. *

Both PDK (as ordered) which I love and prefer to manual. None had glass sunroof which I would of liked and also specced..

I drove Carmine red (gorgeous) but they had GTsilver (my colour) Black (very cool, very mean looking) and I think a saffire blue one which look superb!

The interiors were GTS package and looked brilliant being sporty and very classy at the same time. I would describe as' luxury sport'

The fact is though that the car drives and sings beautifully and for me it simply sensational! The sound of the engine was incredible without the sports exhaust and didn't need it for me.

It is the perfect 911 for me - few steps up from C2s and not extreme as GT3.

what a car! can't wait till Monday when mine is delivered!!!!

Well thats my 2 pence guys...

ps... I did launch control for first time and was amazing and scarily fast!

Last edited by pap2828; 02-25-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by pap2828
PDCC is an option I like very much and had it on my last car and ordered again and I enjoy less roll etc... The good thing is it can be turned off if needed or wanted so for me its a win win!

The sound of the engine was incredible without the sports exhaust and didn't need it for me.
The comment on PDCC is not correct actually, it is always on and not possible to defeat. The button marked PDCC is to engage the sport suspension mode but it does not turn PDCC off, this was discussed extensively here a couple weeks/months ago.

Also re: engine note, do you mean with the sport exhaust turned off? With my car it is relatively quiet with exhaust mode = off but amazing with it on. To each their own of course.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:06 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by Vise
The comment on PDCC is not correct actually, it is always on and not possible to defeat. The button marked PDCC is to engage the sport suspension mode but it does not turn PDCC off, this was discussed extensively here a couple weeks/months ago.

Also re: engine note, do you mean with the sport exhaust turned off? With my car it is relatively quiet with exhaust mode = off but amazing with it on. To each their own of course.
Yeah I think I do remember a discussion regards PDCC on/off and can't recall how it was resolved?

However, I had a Porsche official instructor in the car with me and he confirmed on several occasions that PDCC CAN be turned on and off at will with the button provided...!!??!!

He was very clear in saying what a difference it makes and had been working for Porsche for 10 years...Therefore, I don't know what to say? The car also felt very different while cornering both on and off so who knows ?

Regards the amazing engine sound I was a loved it singing with the sports exhaust turned OFF. Obviously more throaty when on and also good but not as necessary as with my previous model..

Old 02-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

However, I had a Porsche official instructor in the car with me and he confirmed on several occasions that PDCC CAN be turned on and off at will with the button provided...!!??!!

He was very clear in saying what a difference it makes and had been working for Porsche for 10 years...Therefore, I don't know what to say? The car also felt very different while cornering both on and off so who knows ?
I'd trust a PAG engineer ahead of an instructor or anyone at a dealership. Net is your instructor doesn't know what he is talking about.

For reference, PASM and PDCC are always on... pressing the button just changes the PASM settings from normal to sport.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
I'd trust a PAG engineer ahead of an instructor or anyone at a dealership. Net is your instructor doesn't know what he is talking about.

For reference, PASM and PDCC are always on... pressing the button just changes the PASM settings from normal to sport.
That's my understanding also... I think the only time either are "off" is if a fault occurs and they go into "limp mode" ...
Old 02-25-2015, 03:15 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
That's my understanding also... I think the only time either are "off" is if a fault occurs and they go into "limp mode" ...
Hey guys Im sure you know what your talking about and I have' very little ' knowledge of these things so Im not going to argue with you.

I only took this guy on face value and seemed to know his stuff but maybe he was wrong....!?

Regardless the GTS is a stunning motor!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

we could of course be talking out of our collective ***** ...
Old 02-25-2015, 03:23 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
we could of course be talking out of our collective ***** ...
I doubt it Larry you seem to know your 911 business....
Old 02-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Porsche's own description of PDCC is pretty clear - it's always on.

I think that the confusion started a couple of years ago when Porsche added "PDCC" to the shock absorber icon on the sport suspension button for PDCC-equipped cars. I assume that they did that only to indicate that the car had the PDCC option, but I think they inadvertently added confusion about the function. It's a pretty easy leap to assume that you're turning PDCC on and off by pressing a button marked "PDCC".

Old 02-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley

I think that the confusion started a couple of years ago when Porsche added "PDCC" to the shock absorber icon on the sport suspension button for PDCC-equipped cars. I assume that they did that only to indicate that the car had the PDCC option, but I think they inadvertently added confusion about the function. It's a pretty easy leap to assume that you're turning PDCC on and off by pressing a button marked "PDCC".

agreed... its the sport mode for PDCC/PASM equipped cars...
Old 02-25-2015, 03:43 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by hinckley

Thanks for your clarification.

Do you think they have this information explaining this on their website or handbook??

Would be good to see it from the 'horses mouth' sotaspeak!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:49 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Porsche has a fair amount on its site. Also, google it. Good vids. Also read the posts here. Good info, abundant opinions.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys, Just got back from Silverstone where I drove the 2GTS with and without PDCC and Ceramic brakes and it is fantastic either way, however, there are differences... Ceramic brakes (in my opinion) most definitely stop more quickly and more dynamically and the cars overall performance seemed better! (i am not an expert though just a reg joe) PDCC is an option I like very much and had it on my last car and ordered again and I enjoy less roll etc... The good thing is it can be turned off if needed or wanted so for me its a win win! Both PDK (as ordered) which I love and prefer to manual. None had glass sunroof which I would of liked and also specced.. I drove Carmine red (gorgeous) but they had GTsilver (my colour) Black (very cool, very mean looking) and I think a saffire blue one which look superb! The interiors were GTS package and looked brilliant being sporty and very classy at the same time. I would describe as' luxury sport' The fact is though that the car drives and sings beautifully and for me it simply sensational! The sound of the engine was incredible without the sports exhaust and didn't need it for me. It is the perfect 911 for me - few steps up from C2s and not extreme as GT3. what a car! can't wait till Monday when mine is delivered!!!! Well thats my 2 pence guys... ps... I did launch control for first time and was amazing and scarily fast!
Back to script ( )
Great write-up... Glad you liked the cars at Silverstone - great experience... I have not had a chance to see your car but it's most likely in the lock-up at the moment. Enjoy!
Old 02-25-2015, 04:12 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Back to script ( )
Great write-up... Glad you liked the cars at Silverstone - great experience... I have not had a chance to see your car but it's most likely in the lock-up at the moment. Enjoy!
Thank you, Sir! Really can't wait now after today..

It such a great experience that Porsche put on there....

Quick Reply: GTS test drive (Silverstone) today