Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Option

Old 02-25-2015, 01:05 AM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spare Tire Option

Forgive me if this question has been answered before, but I have searched and could not find a definitive answer to this.

The space saver spare tire that Suncoast Porsche offers, is sold as being placed in the back seat. Does this mean it will NOT fit in the trunk at all? There are no options for a trunk stored spare at all?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991SPARE.html

Does anyone know the part# for a 991 compatible jack with proper locating pins to match the jack points?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:09 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Deflated the spare fits in the frunk. Don't buy the whole package at suncoast, it will cost you an extra 500$. Buy the wheel from your dealer. Get an electric air pump, small floor jack,etc from any auto store. Inflate the tire to 40-45 psi (20-25 min) and let it set for a week to get proper shape, then deflate it for use in frunk. BTW the wheel lock is in your tool kit.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 AM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trysixty
Deflated the spare fits in the frunk. Don't buy the whole package at suncoast, it will cost you an extra 500$. Buy the wheel from your dealer. Get an electric air pump, small floor jack,etc from any auto store. Inflate the tire to 40-45 psi (20-25 min) and let it set for a week to get proper shape, then deflate it for use in frunk. BTW the wheel lock is in your tool kit.
Thank you. Not sure if I am going this route yet, but for trips it may be a nice option.

Last edited by RFMASSA; 02-25-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

I'd worry about the spare in the frunk bouncing around perhaps creating a gnid (reverse ding) in the lightweight hood if you go this route. You most certainly would have to find a way to secure the spare so that it does not move at all.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I'd worry about the spare in the frunk bouncing around perhaps creating a gnid (reverse ding) in the lightweight hood if you go this route. You most certainly would have to find a way to secure the spare so that it does not move at all.
A Das Schild frunk liner is the answer for that potential issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 AM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RFMASSA
Thank you. Not sure if I am going this route yet, but for trips it may be a nice option.
The 991 already has an electric air pump in the car, unless you are saying that it is not sufficient for this use.

And I assume that although the rear tire is large, it would fit in either the front or rear seat?

Maybe I am being overly worried about getting a flat. I have never used the patch liquid that comes in the bottle to temporarily fix a flat. But it won't work for severe flats and that is what concerns me I guess. I can live with buying a new tire pressure monitor, tire, and cleaning the wheel rim and the extra cost associated with that. I just don't want to be stranded waiting a couple hours for a tow truck.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM
LexVan
Banned

Also, at the very least, put a quality vulcanized tire plug kit in your frunk. Include needle nose pliers (to pull the obstruction out) and a razor blade (to trim the plug).
Old 02-25-2015, 12:19 PM
trysixty
Racer

The 991 already has an electric air pump in the car, unless you are saying that it is not sufficient for this use.

And I assume that although the rear tire is large, it would fit in either the front or rear seat?

Maybe I am being overly worried about getting a flat. I have never used the patch liquid that comes in the bottle to temporarily fix a flat. But it won't work for severe flats and that is what concerns me I guess. I can live with buying a new tire pressure monitor, tire, and cleaning the wheel rim and the extra cost associated with that. I just don't want to be stranded waiting a couple hours for a tow truck.
having lived in michigan i understand your concern about flats with the roads there being next to a bombed out Baghdad road.........however i wouldn't put a front tire or rear or both in the back seats. i think you will be stranded a couple hours if you use porsche roadside assistance, so best to slap on spare, drive 45mph to civilization and have access your options (plug,patch,new tire,etc)
Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

having lived in michigan i understand your concern about flats with the roads there being next to a bombed out Baghdad road.........however i wouldn't put a front tire or rear or both in the back seats. i think you will be stranded a couple hours if you use porsche roadside assistance, so best to slap on spare, drive 45mph to civilization and have access your options (plug,patch,new tire,etc)
If you wouldn't put any tire in the back seat, what would you do with the flat tire after you put on the spare tire as you suggest?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:24 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Also, at the very least, put a quality vulcanized tire plug kit in your frunk. Include needle nose pliers (to pull the obstruction out) and a razor blade (to trim the plug).
Yes, that was in my plan no matter what. I might not have thought about the razor blade though! Thanks.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:26 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Any nice kits out there to consider?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Any nice kits out there to consider?
Just about any auto parts store. The file/rasp is one of the key components. Make sure it looks sturdy and has a T cross-section for the hand gripping.

Surprisingly putting a tire plug patch into a high-performance low profile tire is not an easy chore. It takes a lot of strength. And I have huge arms. LOL!!

Old 02-25-2015, 02:19 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

If electing to DIY on the side of the road, get yourself a few wheel stud pilots, vulcanizing tire repair kit as LexVan advises (both available on Amazon for approx $ 20-30 each)a blanket to lay on ground then wrap the flat tire. Also a flare or reflective kit. If it's the rear tire that went down, you will 1st need to remove the front tire and replace with spare, then use the front tire on the rear. I would call Porsche or AAA and use above as a last resort.02 T
Attached Images     
Old 02-25-2015, 04:36 PM
trysixty
Racer

If you wouldn't put any tire in the back seat, what would you do with the flat tire after you put on the spare tire as you suggest?
You stash the flatted front or rear in the bushes and come back another day

Seriously, your going to take a trip on i75, i90, i96 driving at least 10 over the posted (80-85) as everyone else does with a full rear and/or full front in the back seat for 500-1000 miles. This versus a spare in the frunk and if a flat occurs drive at 45 mph to the nearest service station with the flatted tire in the rear seat......and this is all to save time?

You could put a Porsche bike or ski rack on your car and carry both a full front and rear on the trip?? Might hurt gas mileage and increase carbon emissions

Last edited by trysixty; 02-25-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

You stash the flatted front or rear in the bushes and come back another day (
Bicycle chain to a stationary item.

Like and old 996. I kid, I kid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spare Tire Option