Spare Tire Option

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty

You stash the flatted front or rear in the bushes and come back another day

Seriously, your going to take a trip on i75, i90, i96 driving at least 10 over the posted (80-85) as everyone else does with a full rear and/or full front in the back seat for 500-1000 miles. This versus a spare in the frunk and if a flat occurs drive at 45 mph to the nearest service station with the flatted tire in the rear seat......and this is all to save time?

You could put a Porsche bike or ski rack on your car and carry both a full front and rear on the trip?? Might hurt gas mileage and increase carbon emissions

Sorry, I am not following you exactly. I am not trying to save any time at all - the least of my concerns. Just trying to avoid being stranded somewhere (near a shady town, etc.) where a tow truck might take a couple hours to get to me.

I would change the tire, put the flat in the back seat or front seat - whatever works best, and drive to the nearest town to get to a gas station to have the tire plugged or patch temporarily until I get home and then replace the tire.

I think I am on the same page as you if I am reading your message properly.

Last edited by RFMASSA; 02-25-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-25-2015, 05:09 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a couple of thoughts from experience. The tires removed from your car if you have a flat will only fit in the front seat and will take up all of the available space. I know because I had to take the two new ones (and these were OEM 19"s) one at a time to my neighborhood tire shop after TireRack delivered them to my house. Keep in mind these were brand new, clean tires, not attached to a wheel with road mung on them.
So IF you had a flat and decided to use your temporary spare, you would have to either put the one you took off in your car (which would not work if you have a passenger), OR figure out something else to do with it as in the stash it in the bushes/chain to a stationary object.

I have owned 10 cars now without spares dating back to 2003. Only one time did I have a catastrophic blow out that required calling roadside assistance (2006 Cayman). Luckily I was within a couple of miles from home and insisted that they tow me there rather than to the dealer after hours. I got a tire from TireRack and took the wheel and new tire to the tire shop in another vehicle.
In addition to the Porsche OEM airpump/goop, I carry a small kit made by Slime that includes a better pump, their less toxic goop, but most importantly a plug kit as Lexvan suggests.

Anything is possible but modern tires are "generally" more durable and less prone to catastrophic failures. Most tire problems I've had are slow leaks from nails, etc and have always been able to make it safely to a tire facility. It would suck to be stranded for hours somewhere waiting for help, but the odds are with us for that not to happen. YMMV
Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Just a couple of thoughts from experience. The tires removed from your car if you have a flat will only fit in the front seat and will take up all of the available space. I know because I had to take the two new ones (and these were OEM 19"s) one at a time to my neighborhood tire shop after TireRack delivered them to my house. Keep in mind these were brand new, clean tires, not attached to a wheel with road mung on them.
So IF you had a flat and decided to use your temporary spare, you would have to either put the one you took off in your car (which would not work if you have a passenger), OR figure out something else to do with it as in the stash it in the bushes/chain to a stationary object.

I have owned 10 cars now without spares dating back to 2003. Only one time did I have a catastrophic blow out that required calling roadside assistance (2006 Cayman). Luckily I was within a couple of miles from home and insisted that they tow me there rather than to the dealer after hours. I got a tire from TireRack and took the wheel and new tire to the tire shop in another vehicle.
In addition to the Porsche OEM airpump/goop, I carry a small kit made by Slime that includes a better pump, their less toxic goop, but most importantly a plug kit as Lexvan suggests.

Anything is possible but modern tires are "generally" more durable and less prone to catastrophic failures. Most tire problems I've had are slow leaks from nails, etc and have always been able to make it safely to a tire facility. It would suck to be stranded for hours somewhere waiting for help, but the odds are with us for that not to happen. YMMV
Thanks for the feedback. In 46 years of driving, I have never had a flat on the side of the road. Always just a slow leak I noticed in the garage. But just my luck, the first car I own without a spare could be the exception to the rule. I think I worry too much sometimes, but I do like to be prepared and plan ahead.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Option