Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing, detailing, dealing with dust...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:02 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Washing, detailing, dealing with dust...

Hi guys. My car is not a DD. After a full bucket wash it will sit for days in an underground garage. I usually drive it on the weekends.

My doubt is that the car after a few days, will aquire a layer of fine dust everywhere on the exterior. This dust will not fly off when driven. I have read that it is not good to wash our cars with water frequently (for me would be weekly). I would like your solution to this issue and your experience.

Do you water wash or dry wash? How frequently? What products can be used without water? Will I scratch the paint finish?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:32 AM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure where the idea came from that washing with water was bad or scratches...

I'll start by suggesting that if you have a garage queen and dust is a problem, then you'd save yourself a lot of effort with a good car cover.

But what is important is how you wash and dry the car and if done properly doesn't contribute to deteriorating the finish.

You are going to get a thousand opinions about the "right way" to wash your car. But the bottom line is if you wash (using a two bucket technique and microfiber or lambs wool mit) and dry properly you shouldn't have any problem.

I use a DI setup for rinsing so that I don't have to worry about spotting. Then I dry using a Air Max blow dryer. This way I minimize any potential swirling from drying towels (yes even microfiber ones).

I've got a quick wash down now so I can complete in about 45 minutes. I do this about once a week on a Black 991S and it still looks pristine after about a year and a half now.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro963
it will sit for days in an underground garage.
This is the root cause. Just too much access and air movement.

As for a car cover, never cover a dirty car. And a covered car in a public parking space just seems to be asking for unwanted attention. "Hey, what's under here?....lets go look!"

Lots of people swear by a California Duster, but I'm NOT one of them.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:42 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

off topic , but in the future get a red, white or yellow non metallic color .....they never show light dust and you can try to induce swirl marks wiping it when clean and damp with a non 100 % cotton towel and it wont show any , unless you are leaning on it with all your weight ...you can use a Car Duster unless caked with bugs or mud ...basically treat it like a Toyota Corolla commuter vs " swirl marks if you breathe on it " med to dark colors whether metallic or not ....after 30 years of owning various Porsche colors , ask me how I know !

Just this past weekend, took a very spirited drive with friends using my Guards red Porsche and returned with the non vinyl covered front bumper and mirrors covered solid with kicked up asphalt and rubber particles .

In my garage, I soaked the areas with blue gel tar / bug remover applied via wet terry cloth and wiped it all off with another soaked terry cloth , then dried it with clean dry terry cloth . Under the glare of the 8 fluorescent tube overhead lights, you cannot see a single swirl ...looks flawless. If I did this with my black Porsche ...it would need a respray , LOL!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Griot's Garage and Meguiar both sell a low friction quick detailing spray that you can spray on and then wipe the dust off with a clean microfiber cloth. It is good for dust and small blemishes due to bugs etc. It doesn't replace washing but it can extend that spotless period just after a wash. I don't believe a clean California duster can induce swirl marks.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:32 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RADManZulu
Griot's Garage and Meguiar both sell a low friction quick detailing spray that you can spray on and then wipe the dust off with a clean microfiber cloth. It is good for dust and small blemishes due to bugs etc. It doesn't replace washing but it can extend that spotless period just after a wash. I don't believe a clean California duster can induce swirl marks.
yes there are many quick detailing sprays that are now on the market specifically for your kind of cleaning needs...all major brands like meguiars, mothers, turtle wax etc etc has them...of course you can also pay double for the same thing at griot's lol... won't make the car any cleaner but you might feel better as the owner...

imho experience the cali duster just doesn't get the car dust free except for maybe the first time you use it out of the package...i never like the idea of pushing dust around the car paint...
Old 02-24-2015, 04:57 PM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is your answer. Meguiars Ultimate Anywhere Spray. Use a fresh microfiber, and 10 minutes or less you are good to go. I've used other detailing spays and this is simply the best.

Amazon Amazon

In fact, I have not wet washed my 991 since I began using this.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:50 PM
RichardC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to just take your car through a touchless wash?

Richard
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is the root cause. Just too much access and air movement.

As for a car cover, never cover a dirty car. And a covered car in a public parking space just seems to be asking for unwanted attention. "Hey, what's under here?....lets go look!"

I have an indoor and outdoor Porsche oem car cover for sale in the Rennlist classifieds. Comes w a Porsche bag. But only use on a clean car as said above.

I am a fan of the California car duster, but only for really light dust, and replace it every year, use the old one on the wife's mobile!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:58 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51

I am a fan of the California car duster, but only for really light dust, and replace it every year, use the old one on the wife's mobile!
old ones are good for keeping around to dust off lower body panel areas between and behind wheel openings and the lower rear fascia
Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
I have an indoor and outdoor Porsche oem car cover for sale in the Rennlist classifieds. Comes w a Porsche bag. But only use on a clean car as said above.

California Dusters work if used properly - very lightly over the car with the "bristles" just touching the care. They are supposed to actually work better as they get dirty.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:22 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardC

Richard
Very harsh chemicals and very high pressure. Really shortens the life of any wax or coating. I'm with others - what's with the no wet wash thing? Once a week or more, two buckets (three if you count wheels). Takes longer to set up than to wash (have to get misusing going, grab a beer, get all the buckets set up, etc). Still takes under an hour and I'm fussy.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:27 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardC

Richard
Harsh chemicals and high pressure - kiss wax or coatings goodbye quickly. Two bucket plus third for wheels - I'm fussy, need music and beer, still less than an hour. Don't know where the "don't wet wash" thing came from - never heard such a thing before. I wash the car at least weekly here in Seattle except when there are protracted winter wet spells.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:05 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Although it seems to be generally accepted by almost everyone, I don't see the need for multiple buckets. After I wash my car with a micro-fiber mitt, I simply use the hose to carefully remove any debris from the mitt. I think this is more effective than dipping the mitt into a bucket, especially after multiple submersions when the bucket's water is no longer clean.

Also, from decades of detailing my cars, I have found that any time that you rub any cloth against the paint, small abrasions will occur even when 100% cotton cloths and micro- fiber cloths and mitts are used. Appropriate washing and cleaning cloths greatly diminish, but do not eliminate these abrasions. Of course they will be superficial, and will not even be visible with most car colors, but they are still there and can be seen when a swirl finder light is used, especially in a dark area. These superficial imperfections can easily be removed with an orbital polisher, but that's more work for the perfectionist.

In my case I have learned to live with a car that has a layer of dust on it. BTW dust will accumulate in about 15 - 20 minutes after detailing as most anyone with a black car knows. So I've learned to live with a dusty car, and wash it no more than twice a month. The infrequent washings are better for the car's finish, and a hell of a lot easier for me since detailing is not a labor of love in my case. Of course my car is not a DD, and I understand that weekly washes are required for those who actually drive their cars.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:17 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I won't swear by it, but I've used one to get pollen and such light "dusting" off without issues.

Originally Posted by scatkins
Not sure where the idea came from that washing with water was bad or scratches...

I'll start by suggesting that if you have a garage queen and dust is a problem, then you'd save yourself a lot of effort with a good car cover.
I've found that a cover doesn't really help with dust. Fine dust still works its way in there. But I agree with scatkins that washing with water shouldn't be an issue. What causes scratches is rubbing something against the paint, like a towel or brush. Most scratching comes from the drying process, not the washing (unless you are brutal and/or use a sponge).

Originally Posted by fast1
Although it seems to be generally accepted by almost everyone, I don't see the need for multiple buckets. . .
Also, from decades of detailing my cars, I have found that any time that you rub any cloth against the paint, small abrasions will occur even when 100% cotton cloths and micro- fiber cloths and mitts are used.
+1

How about this: instead of washing the car after you go for a drive, wash it before? Then it will be nice and clean for you to enjoy.

Quick Reply: Washing, detailing, dealing with dust...