Sponsored by:

Vise's Sapphire Blue 991 GTS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:48 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I've driven the V8 and V8S both in coupe and cab versions. The last time was a 2014 model last spring. The cars, especially the coupe, are drop-dead beautiful and like Masers, sound incredible. But it ends there. The driving dynamics/crispness of handling do not come close to a 911. Driving them back-to-back, it's night and day. The AM's engine is fine, the steering and suspension - not so much. Also, AM tech is 10-15 years old (its integrated nav is essentially a hand-held Garmin unit - incredible). Additionally, when you research the AM boards, you find that they haven't reached the level of reliability to allow them to be DDs. Still a lot of old-English-car electrical and mechanical nonsense. And finally, the coupe has a blind spot that to me, is downright dangerous. Trying to merge into traffic looking over your right shoulder is a crap shoot. You simply hope that there's no traffic there. It happened to me twice on two different test drives. Terrifying.

With that said, I believe there's a whole new generation due in the next year or so. I'm really hoping AM graduates into a real Porsche-class competitor. Even if it's not as totally competent as the 911, it'd be great to have real British competition.
I have driven V8/S coupes and convertibles, and the V12S Coupe. I found them beautifully balanced (especially the V8s, which have near perfect 50:50 weight distribution, with the V8 mounted behind the front axle and with a rear transaxle gearbox), with wonderful noise and decent handling.

As you rightly say, not a patch on a 911. But I don't think of them as comparable cars, even if they are comparable on price. One is a front mid engined V8 GT, the other is a flat 6 rear engined icon.

In the UK, they depreciate with fearsome intensity in the first 3 years, and there are lots of discussions of use of cheap components (such as accelerator (gas) pedals, and seat heater control units).

Still, I love them. In the end though, I only want a Vantage in addition to my 7.2 GT3, not in replacement of.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Believe the next gen should have engines sourced from/in partnership with AMG too... at minimum you know they will make gobs of power and sound great.

That said AM's to me are nice cruisers/GT cars but really not something I'd directly compare to a 911... maybe down the road when I retire and get boring or something.
Don't think you have to get something boring when you retire. I retired three years ago and just traded my 997 GTS in on a 991 GTS. I don't have time to get bored!!

Enjoy your new GTS.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Yep all good, just a poor quality joke on my part. I am far, far away from retirement so not top of mind for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:59 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
But I don't think of them as comparable cars, even if they are comparable on price. One is a front mid engined V8 GT, the other is a flat 6 rear engined icon.
Vice, I hope you don't mind these side-bar conversations in your thread, but this GT point is exactly what I think makes the 911 such an incredible and unique car. The Masers, Mercs, AMs and even BMWs (M6) are really GTs. It's amazing to me that there are NO other cars out there that combine a true sports car with the luxury, daily drivability and dependability of the Porsche. They've nailed it and no one else gets it or for some reason, can't match it. I'm not complaining, but I'm actually a bit disappointed. It would be nice to have an actual choice in the marketplace (although as I've said, MAYBE the R8 comes close for some).
Old 02-26-2015, 12:54 PM
Vise
Drifting

Vice, I hope you don't mind these side-bar conversations in your thread, but this GT point is exactly what I think makes the 911 such an incredible and unique car.
Not at all... keep the dialogue going as it is totally relevant.

although as I've said, MAYBE the R8 comes close for some.
Not for me, no back seat is a no go.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:31 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Don't need a backseat, but the R8 has always looked ungainly to me. And that big weird contrasting metal stripe amidships is the worst.

Compare to:

or even:

Old 02-26-2015, 02:24 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Don't need a backseat, but the R8 has always looked ungainly to me.
Agreed.

But take a look at the gen 2 model that was introduced this morning. Looks much better and the specs look awful good - 500+ horses, 3200 pounds. Impressive. But still no back seat.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/26/2...neva-official/
Old 02-26-2015, 02:47 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Agreed.

But take a look at the gen 2 model that was introduced this morning. Looks much better and the specs look awful good - 500+ horses, 3200 pounds. Impressive. But still no back seat.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/26/2...neva-official/
Ewwwww!!! They are further accentuating the misshapen ungainliness from Gen 1. Cab-forward on steroids.

There's a bunch of Audi history to this, of course, but does anyone still even know what the rear-engined Auto Unions were?

Old 02-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Hugh Jardon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The back seat was one of the major factors in my purchase...that and the legendary icon status, and overall practicality. Seems kind of silly to purchase a sports car because of a back seat, but as you all have pointed out the other options are really GT's. Maybe a Nissan GT-R could be considered due to having a rear seat, but I would consider that more of a super car along the lines of a 911 turbo S.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
Maybe a Nissan GT-R could be considered due to having a rear seat, but I would consider that more of a super car along the lines of a 911 turbo S.
Yeah aside from the fact that it is butt ugly inside and out.

No doubts performance wise few cars can touch the GTR but it isn't for me...
Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Samp4
Racer

Getting back a little closer to the subject. I love the car and how it looks. It is a winner. I am also glad you are willing to drive it as you please. I have c4S Cab and it is my only car. My wife's is a PTT so we have no choice but drive our cars and would have it no other way.

I don't put cars in the garage and look at them I drive them.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Yeah aside from the fact that it is butt ugly inside and out.

No doubts performance wise few cars can touch the GTR but it isn't for me...
+1
Old 02-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Vise
Drifting

Ran a bunch of errands today and had a blast driving around town as expected. The frunk had no problems handling my dry cleaning and a couple shopping bags. Got a few thumbs up and comments out there as well.

Wife snapped a quick pic after parking (yes, on the street)... the terrible phone picture masks how dirty the car is. And yes that is me looking like I'm about to steal it.

Couldn't resist grabbing some reading material while I was out too, wonder why...

Old 02-28-2015, 11:03 PM
pap2828
Racer

Wow. The colour is superb! Nice hat!

24 hours before I collect mine!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:32 AM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by pap2828
Nice hat!
Hahaha... thanks man. Function over form, especially when it is -15 celsius.

And congrats as well, looking forward to pictures of your car!

Quick Reply: Vise's Sapphire Blue 991 GTS thread