Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 engine sizes are in

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude, I'd agree it's a combination... but feel regs are a real component.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I have decided the 'smaller displacement/turbocharge thing' is kind of ridiculous and somewhat of a marketing tool as well. I have a 2015 M4. BMW of course replaced the high revving normally aspirated V8 with a tt 6. I can tell you, especially after the break in, it is really fast. Despite the glowing reviews of these new turbos there is always a turbo lag, and the mileage especially when you are on the turbo still sucks, so what have you really gained?
Jim
Coming from an E92M3, the last NA M3, that was traded and will take a delivery of a new C2S. I like FI engine but there is something special about NA engine. That is why I didn't even think about getting the new M4. I am sure it will be faster than the current 991 but ....
Old 03-24-2015, 03:37 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoyV
Coming from an E92M3, the last NA M3, that was traded and will take a delivery of a new C2S. I like FI engine but there is something special about NA engine. That is why I didn't even think about getting the new M4. I am sure it will be faster than the current 991 but ....
I have both a 14 991 C2S and 15 F80 M3. (Also owned a E93 in the past). The new M3 is an awesome car and is far superior to E92. In fact, in many areas I find the M3 superior to my 991. I look forward to 991.2 and hope Porsche makes similar gains BMW made by going turbo. The dilemma Im having is whether or not to wait for 991.2 or pull the trigger on a 991 TT now.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 PM
CommonProject
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggreg911
I have both a 14 991 C2S and 15 F80 M3. (Also owned a E93 in the past). The new M3 is an awesome car and is far superior to E92. In fact, in many areas I find the M3 superior to my 991. I look forward to 991.2 and hope Porsche makes similar gains BMW made by going turbo. The dilemma Im having is whether or not to wait for 991.2 or pull the trigger on a 991 TT now.
Can you elaborate on which areas you think the F80 is better than the 991? I'm kind of debating between the two as well. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Originally Posted by CommonProject
Can you elaborate on which areas you think the F80 is better than the 991? I'm kind of debating between the two as well. Thanks.
F80 is my daily driver and I believe it is a much better overall value. I paid 67k for the F80 and 120k for the 991.

F80 is better in the following area: interior (991 feels dated), GPS (991 PCM is pretty bad-no real time traffic wo sirius) better seats, real leather wo paying huge premium, deviated stitching included, interior lighting! (No light in rear seats of 991 wo paying for option).

Acceleration is almost identical. I have a MT in the 991 and DCT in the F80. Torque is stronger off the line in F80.

991 wins in handling as it should since the BMW is a sedan. Would i get rid of the 991? No way but bang for buck BMW all day.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 PM
ChoyV
Racer

F80 is my daily driver and I believe it is a much better overall value. I paid 67k for the F80 and 120k for the 991.

F80 is better in the following area: interior (991 feels dated), GPS (991 PCM is pretty bad-no real time traffic wo sirius) better seats, real leather wo paying huge premium, deviated stitching included, interior lighting! (No light in rear seats of 991 wo paying for option).

Acceleration is almost identical. I have a MT in the 991 and DCT in the F80. Torque is stronger off the line in F80.

991 wins in handling as it should since the BMW is a sedan. Would i get rid of the 991? No way but bang for buck BMW all day.
Value for money it will be BMW for sure but if you compare both with same options, then Porsche will have the advantage. DCT is not even comparable with PDK. FM Traffic in BMW is free but not as good as XM Traffic (but with a premium).
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Value for money it will be BMW for sure but if you compare both with same options, then Porsche will have the advantage. DCT is not even comparable with PDK. FM Traffic in BMW is free but not as good as XM Traffic (but with a premium).
Unless you own both cars and drive them daily you are just reciting reviews. The F80 Dct is comparable pdk. May not be as good but close enough that most would never know the difference. This is really an unbiased opinion as own and love both cars, but for the price of a 991S you can get an M3/M4 and a 528. (Allegedly the new traffic system in bmw is only true real time system and is same as they use in rolls royce)
Old 03-26-2015, 12:04 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Everytime I get the itch for a new car I take time to re-evaluate any new options and choices out there and BMW is has always on the list. I have taken many drives in each mentioned below before making decisions.

Cayman S, E46 M3: Very close here, almost did a M3 ZCP, love the look and "tidiness" of the design.

997.2 C4s, E90 M3: Close, but no cigar. Liked the looks but the C4s won out pretty big.

991 C2s, TBD M3/M4: Waited a bit, then started to see what it was going to look like and with turbo motor

991 GTS, F80 M4: Turbo six is decent but still shows lag. To me there is no cohesiveness in the design, some aspects are pretty nice, some are just horrible. (Goofy front end, back end, mirrors, way overly complicated DCT, etc.) Drives nicely but doesn't pull it altogether nearly as well as a 991. Does not feel nearly the package the E46 & E90s were,.....faster, yes, as much fun to drive?.....not so much. Price has always been a good aspect and why I'm always swayed back to look at one.

Yeah Porsche options are expensive for sure, but the straight forward clean-lined interior is one of my favorite aspects of the 991,....some may call it dated as it doesn't contain 300 different shapes, materials, colors, textures, dials and pop up screens as most of the more "modern" BMWs do, but to each his own. There is just no way I can sit in an F80 more than a few minutes before I'm inclined to jump out. I can understand why some people may like it, just not me.

Exterior?....love the classic lines and uncluttered looks of the 991 especially in GTS form. I truly wish BMW could reach back before the Chris Bangle years and pull out of the styling funk they are in. All the multiple angles, scoops, cutouts, fake vents and such just don't do the heritage of the previous M3s justice. Maybe that's what does "it" for people today though.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:47 AM
CommonProject
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow it's surprising to hear that you think F80 has better interior. One of the bigger aspects that I don't like about the the interior is that it looks almost exactly the same as a 3 series, and everything looks so plain and outdated (the vents, sound control buttons and *****, etc). Porsche's interior other the other hand, while not totally luxurious, still feel a step above to me.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:58 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Unless you own both cars and drive them daily you are just reciting reviews. The F80 Dct is comparable pdk. May not be as good but close enough that most would never know the difference. This is really an unbiased opinion as own and love both cars, but for the price of a 991S you can get an M3/M4 and a 528. (Allegedly the new traffic system in bmw is only true real time system and is same as they use in rolls royce)
Yes I did. DCT is good but still not comparable to PDK. Tell me how that clunking sound of that DCT when you are slowing down. The think I like with DCT is the manner in which it works. It is just like a manual. It will not move until you press on the gas pedal. There is no question that Bimmer is a good buy in its class but emotions are priceless. Bimmer RTS for me is better because you don't need XM. I didn't order my M with XM. My P has XM with free 3 years traffic.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Yes I did. DCT is good but still not comparable to PDK. Tell me how that clunking sound of that DCT when you are slowing down. The think I like with DCT is the manner in which it works. It is just like a manual. It will not move until you press on the gas pedal. There is no question that Bimmer is a good buy in its class but emotions are priceless. Bimmer RTS for me is better because you don't need XM. I didn't order my M with XM. My P has XM with free 3 years traffic.
You own an F80? If you are comparing E92 I agree... F80 is way better than what was in E92 ( i owned a E93 w DCT and it was terrible-had car for 10 months before i traded it)
Old 03-26-2015, 01:57 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Originally Posted by CommonProject
Wow it's surprising to hear that you think F80 has better interior. One of the bigger aspects that I don't like about the the interior is that it looks almost exactly the same as a 3 series, and everything looks so plain and outdated (the vents, sound control buttons and *****, etc). Porsche's interior other the other hand, while not totally luxurious, still feel a step above to me.
Not really ...others who own both cars have also shared same sentiment on here.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:03 PM
ChoyV
Racer

You own an F80? If you are comparing E92 I agree... F80 is way better than what was in E92 ( i owned a E93 w DCT and it was terrible-had car for 10 months before i traded it)
Yes. Used to have both since I wanted the last production run of the NA E92M3. But decided on trading the E92 to get the last NA 911 instead. Besides, you don't need to own one to compare DCT against PDK or any options between cars that you are thinking to buy. You just need a good relationship with your dealers who will bend backwards to satisfy their customers. Don't get me wrong, I love the M's and their electronics are better than P cars. A free Real Time Traffic via FM and HUD to name a few.

That is the good thing with my preferred auto dealers. They don't sugar coat and they acknowledge which systems are better from other manufacturers.

Quick Reply: 991.2 engine sizes are in