Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 engine sizes are in

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:29 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

For me, the lack of manual transmission choices is stealing my enthusiasm. I may wear a tinfoil hat, but I blame the Eco regs for that too, as well as nutty crash test requirements. The lower take rate on MT cars makes the testing requirements economically unfeasable. I like safe cars, but smashing up 15 manual transmission cars after already smashing up 15 substantially identical automatics doesn't help anybody.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:00 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Good call! I'd order a GTS tomorrow if I didn't have a 991S already.
Do it anyway... I really think naturally aspirated sports cars are going to hold their value.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:03 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
For me, the lack of manual transmission choices is stealing my enthusiasm. I may wear a tinfoil hat, but I blame the Eco regs for that too, as well as nutty crash test requirements. The lower take rate on MT cars makes the testing requirements economically unfeasable. I like safe cars, but smashing up 15 manual transmission cars after already smashing up 15 substantially identical automatics doesn't help anybody.
It's not the regs. Even up to 2009-2010, the majority of sports car buyers were still buying manuals, but that percentage has dropped like a rock every year the PDK has been out.

Keep in mind that in the US, less than 5% of drivers are even capable of operating a manual...
Old 02-16-2015, 02:10 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
In the US, less than 5% of drivers are even capable of operating a manual.
Source? You can't just throw out stats like that without backing them up. Did you pick 5% out of the air? What's your source of that number? Link to it.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
Source? You can't just throw out stats like that without backing them up. Did you pick 5% out of the air? What's your source of that number? Link to it.
Good point but reliable info is hard to come by. There's an oft cited EPA report (circa 2010) that puts the overall percentage of manuals at 6.7 percent. Other sources (e.g. Jalopnik, Edmunds, etc.), probably less credible, put the numbers anywhere from about three percent to eight percent depending upon the year. The data are out there, there's just no one parsing through it. (I haven't seen the EPA report but I suspect it is more about mpg ratings and not transmission types.). In the end, regardless of the credibility of the sources, the fact that they all seem to put the number of U.S. cars with manual transmissions between five and ten percent gives this guesstimate some credence.

Insofar as the number of cars with PDK versus manual transmission, these data are probably publicly available directly from PAG in annual sales reports as PDK is a Porsche product. The thing is, the steep rise in the number of PDK transmissions sold (and that sales people are pushing the technology) makes sense as CO2 CAFE rules and mpg requirements must be met and this may be easier to do with a fleet of "automatic" transmission cars which can be programmed to meet such standards more effectively than a manual.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:17 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc

I read an article yesterday that 10% of all cars made in the U.S. are manuals. Obviously the amount of people that are "capable" of driving a manual is much higher. I'd guess 50% or more.

This article says 6.5% of ALL cars SOLD in the US are manual.

http://m.nydailynews.com/autos/drivi....1247896#bmb=1
Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

I've just ordered a GTS and it's PDK -- first non-manual I've ever had, first time I've even considered it (and I'm talking sportscars and Wranglers, not family cars, etc.) I'll be interested to see if I continue to love it as much as I have for the 3 hours worth of testing I've done so far, or if I get to missing the manual and have to trade it after a short while. No way to know but to live with it for awhile. At least I still have a manual Wrangler to scratch the clutch-pedal-itch.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:18 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I've just ordered a GTS and it's PDK -- first non-manual I've ever had, first time I've even considered it (and I'm talking sportscars and Wranglers, not family cars, etc.) I'll be interested to see if I continue to love it as much as I have for the 3 hours worth of testing I've done so far, or if I get to missing the manual and have to trade it after a short while. No way to know but to live with it for awhile. At least I still have a manual Wrangler to scratch the clutch-pedal-itch.

My recently delivered 991 GTS is PDK also. I have been driving 911's off and on since the mid 1980's, and this is my first one without a manual. My feelings were about the same as yours, but I can say after owning the car for a month, I have NO regrets on the PDK. Hopefully I will feel the same in a year. I think I will.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
TJ wrangler? I have a manual one of those too I just got from my dad who incidentally lives in North Georgia
Old 02-17-2015, 01:04 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dude174
TJ wrangler? I have a manual one of those too I just got from my dad who incidentally lives in North Georgia
Nope, currently in a '14 JK ****** Edition. But love the TJs also.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
My recently delivered 991 GTS is PDK also. I have been driving 911's off and on since the mid 1980's, and this is my first one without a manual. My feelings were about the same as yours, but I can say after owning the car for a month, I have NO regrets on the PDK. Hopefully I will feel the same in a year. I think I will.
Great to hear, GSIRM3. Sounds like we think alike, so I'm glad you're still loving the gearbox. Nice to have choices. The Golden Age, my friends, the Golden Age. Won't last forever, but right now (and for the past 15+ years) it has been an amazing run.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:30 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

"Damn Germans - I'll never for give them for Pearl Harbour". Now they're messing with my engine and the metric system
Oh I've been confused all these years.. I never realized Hitler was in the pacific.. he must have overshot moscow...
Old 02-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by scatkins
Oh I've been confused all these years.. I never realized Hitler was in the pacific.. he must have overshot moscow...
I was channeling the Animal House quote by Bluto - "was it over when the Gemans bombed Pearl Harbor ?"

Agree with the previous poster regarding the C2 benefiting from the extra Tq. However, the exhaust sound might be a slightly different issue.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:11 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
It's not the regs. Even up to 2009-2010, the majority of sports car buyers were still buying manuals, but that percentage has dropped like a rock every year the PDK has been out.

Keep in mind that in the US, less than 5% of drivers are even capable of operating a manual...
The regs are a big part of it.

BMW has stripped manual transmissions from most of their US line up. Ditto the 5-series wagon. They've spent the money to design and build the product, so why not offer it here?

"It costs too much." Guess what costs so much... Meeting the regulations. No stick shift for you. Kiss freedom goodbye.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to argue because I think regulations play a huge role, but manual transmissions - from what I understand - have too low of a take rate to make it worthwhile for the manufacturers. As in most of the world doesn't equate manual - sporty car (see countless pdk vs 7mt threads) so it's not worth the $$ for a dwindling take rate elsewhere around the world. Probably if we are honest, lower take rate here too.

Quick Reply: 991.2 engine sizes are in