Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 engine sizes are in

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:55 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just who is Porsche marketing targeting with these twin turbo vacuum cleaners?

Silents....too old to have that much fun with a Porsche

Baby Boomers......still hooked on pot, Harley's and Detroit muscle

Gen X ......maybe, they've fallen for every political and environmental pie in the sky promise so far

Gen Y/Millenniums......maybe in the future when they raise the minimum wage at McDonald's and Burger King so that they can afford a Porsche
Old 02-14-2015, 07:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
Gen Y/Millenniums......maybe in the future when they raise the minimum wage at McDonald's and Burger King so that they can afford a Porsche
Y/Millennials

You mean when they actually "want" to work?

Actually want to move out of the parents basement?

Actually can take a dose of reality without feeling like they're being "yelled at"?

Actually can deal with failure and be able to go at it again?

Getting a start anywhere, especially a restaurant is good. That's where I got my start (not McD)!

You can move up anywhere if you have brains.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:58 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't believe this is Porsche's initiative. I believe it is there response to legislation around this nutty globe.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911sccab
I don't believe this is Porsche's initiative. I believe it is there response to legislation around this nutty globe.
True of course. It's all government mandated.

The previous few posts were just jokes.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

Agree about the "rigged" fuel economy. Replaced my Panamera GTS with the new S with the V6 turbo (lease up). MPG is the same! No change what so ever between the 2, at least after 8k miles. Carbon emissions blah blah blah. This is the biggest load of crap. The real reason is that places like China are taxing the crap out of any engine over 3.0L, so trying to stay under that.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STG991 funny post! I have a Millennial in my house. She unfortunately is the poster child for your description!
Old 02-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

All hail the last of the true flat six!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:42 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Just who is Porsche marketing targeting with these twin turbo vacuum cleaners?

Silents....too old to have that much fun with a Porsche

Baby Boomers......still hooked on pot, Harley's and Detroit muscle

Gen X ......maybe, they've fallen for every political and environmental pie in the sky promise so far

Think globally. And by that I mean China. One plus billion people in with a communist government and a more and more capitalistic economy (go figure?). There is a lot of wealth to be had and with that the Porsche status symbol (not to mention sucking up the limited amount of petroleum to be had). I don't know how much this affects carbon emissions but it does to some extent. Hence, what it in the pipeline for the future - sigh!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:32 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by doc76
You make a valid point from an engineering standpoint. However the marketing department will insist on showing a HP increase from one gen to the next. I'm guessing 370 for base and 420 for S.
PAG marketing are inveterate tweakers of published HP numbers. They will certainly list smallish increases over the replaced models. 370-420 seems about right. Unconceivable to me they would use a lower number for even the lower Carrera.

These .2 cars will definitely get the BMW effect, so to speak. There will be a little lag but they will feel incredibly powerful off the line due to the fat torque band turbos yield. That is what happened when BMW introduced their turbo six. For regular 991 users this will be a boon... the car will feel so much more like a muscle car... low end grunt is completely intoxicating on the road.

We will need to see how PAG manages the turbo torque and how linear the engines feel for spirited road and track driving, high in the rev range. It is hard to do that well. Witness new BMW M4. You can try to use e-motors to do torque fill a la F488 and McLaren P1 but then there is weight of motors/batteries. In a mega buck car you can neutralize those weight gains by expensive body and chassis materials. Not for a $70-100k Porsche.

So we will see.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:08 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
For regular 991 users this will be a boon... the car will feel so much more like a muscle car... low end grunt is completely intoxicating on the road. We will need to see how PAG manages the turbo torque and how linear the engines feel for spirited road and track driving, high in the rev range. It is hard to do that well.
Unfortunately, what appeals to the masses is the low end green light takeoff torque.

High revs and the NA soundtrack are low on the list for the cross shoppers looking purely at numbers.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:41 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Agree about the "rigged" fuel economy. Replaced my Panamera GTS with the new S with the V6 turbo (lease up). MPG is the same! No change what so ever between the 2, at least after 8k miles. Carbon emissions blah blah blah. This is the biggest load of crap. The real reason is that places like China are taxing the crap out of any engine over 3.0L, so trying to stay under that.
rigged to pass the throttle /rpm programs as prescribed by govt testing drive cycle protocols...real world emissions and gas mileage are not usually better, but manufacturers have to play or go home...same with the turbos now on the Ferrari V8 models
Old 02-15-2015, 07:30 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Unfortunately, what appeals to the masses is the low end green light takeoff torque.

High revs and the NA soundtrack are low on the list for the cross shoppers looking purely at numbers.
I thought only Lambo and Ferrari owners described Turbo S owners as "the masses"!
Old 02-15-2015, 10:23 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Think globally. And by that I mean China. One plus billion people in with a communist government and a more and more capitalistic economy (go figure?). There is a lot of wealth to be had and with that the Porsche status symbol (not to mention sucking up the limited amount of petroleum to be had). I don't know how much this affects carbon emissions but it does to some extent. Hence, what it in the pipeline for the future - sigh!
I'm too old to think globally..... buying a Porsche which is designed for the Chinese market or Chinese environmental regulations is a non starter for me. Let VW rebadge their Beatle with a Porsche hood emblem and ship millions to China. They can call it 911 Carrera GC (Green China).

And as for carbon emissions joke, how is it that China is buying millions of tons of Wyoming coal every month for their power plants......oh yea I forget the carbon dioxide emissions just blow back to the west coast USA/Canada , so maybe they just ignore those carbon emissions.😄
Old 02-15-2015, 10:28 PM
STG
Race Director

I'm too old to think globally..... buying a Porsche which is designed for the Chinese market or Chinese environmental regulations is a non starter for me. Let VW rebadge their Beatle with a Porsche hood emblem and ship millions to China. They can call it 911 Carrera GC (Green China). And as for carbon emissions joke, how is it that China is buying millions of tons of Wyoming coal every month for their power plants......oh yea I forget the carbon dioxide emissions just blow back to the west coast USA/Canada , so maybe they just ignore those carbon emissions.dde04
China has nothing to do with this.

It's the "wiser" countries like the USA and the EU that are imposing these standards.

The Chinese could give a rats ***. They're laughing all the way to the bank and will own all of us soon. Actually, they pretty much do..
Old 02-16-2015, 12:00 AM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

The end of the world will soon be upon us. Turbos in all Porsches AND Ferraris. I will give up this car hobby and stick to my personal jet planes.

Quick Reply: 991.2 engine sizes are in