Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991S Intermediate Service $1,100?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Electrico
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991S Intermediate Service $1,100?

So, my 2012 991S is due for Intermediate Service (20,000 miles).

I call my local dealer and the following transpires:

"Hi, my 2012 991S is showing a message that the 20-thousand-mile Intermediate Service is due. Do you guys have an opening in the next couple days, and what is the cost of this service?"

"The Intermediate Service on a 991S is $825."

"$825? I thought it was just an oil change and a change of brake fluid."

"Well, that quote does not include the brake fluid part. That's another $250 or so."

"Hey, thanks a lot. I appreciate your time."

OK, guys, from the outset, I do share the opinion that if you're driving a $100K car, you shouldn't bitch too much about maintenance. It's the cost of doing business. I get it. And so if the above quote is par for the course, then I will take it in, as I do want a dealer service record on file.

BUT, from all I have read, $1,100 sounds a bit steep for an Intermediate Service, no? Thing is, this is by FAR my closest and most convenient dealer.

If these guys are way off base, as I suspect they are, then does anybody know of a good independent in the Pasadena, CA area, or heck, a DIY for the brake fluid flush?

And if my understanding about this service is off, then please let me know too. Just doesn't seem to square with my research.

Thanks all.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:13 PM
dkim12
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Uh, mine is coming up on 20k and I'm defintely not paying $1100 for intermediate service.

I'm not cheap, but I refuse to get taken to the cleaners. Maybe to some members, $1100 is not a lot of coin, but I can think of plenty of other things I want to spend $1100 and get some value for my money.

Cheap as I am, I did last year's oil change at home on my own on a Sunday, and it was worth the time and effort. There was a recall for the gas cap, so the dealer cleared the service message while taking care of the recall so money saved.

If I can't find an Indy to do the brake flush, then I will just have the dealer do it after i do the oil change myself. Oil change is almost idiot proof, but I've never done a brake flush. Speaking for myself, probably not a good idea to start looking for a DIY on a Porsche for brakes.

Good luck in your search, and thanks for the head's up. Gotta start looking for a shop or get a quote from the 3 dealers around me regarding price.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Unfortunately, that sounds about right. I got 10K service - which included oil change, brake flush, wiper blade change, air filter change, and visual inspection for $1200.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I your area, there are a bunch of dealers, call around and find the best price. Then call who is the closest and ask why theirs is so much more and what you are getting for the extra money. They may drop their price some.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:36 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

The only reason I need a dealer is to buy the dang thing. Everything else I do myself, unless it is warranty work. Oil changes are about $80 and an hour or two of time. Brake fluid changes about $40 and couple of hours. I know this is not for everyone, but it is pretty simple to do all things considered.

If not any type of do-it-yourself person,....as others have suggested find a good independent shop,....many of them actually do a better job compared to some dealers.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Here's a good list to keep in mind when scheduling service.

Should be pretty much an oil change and a brake flush if the car has been inservice for 2 years.

http://www.leithporsche.com/cdn.dlro...-checklist.pdf
Old 02-10-2015, 07:49 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Electrico
OK, guys, from the outset, I do share the opinion that if you're driving a $100K car, you shouldn't bitch too much about maintenance. It's the cost of doing business. I get it. And so if the above quote is par for the course, then I will take it in, as I do want a dealer service record on file.
I don't understand the logic of "I paid X for a car, so now I like bending over and taking up the a$$". A 'dealer' service record has no value. If you can't DIY, take it to an independent shop, where the service should cost $150 AND you'll still have a record, it's called the receipt.

FWIW the 'parts' for the brake fluid flush cost $10.

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
The only reason I need a dealer is to buy the dang thing. Everything else I do myself, unless it is warranty work. Oil changes are about $80 and an hour or two of time. Brake fluid changes about $40 and couple of hours. I know this is not for everyone, but it is pretty simple to do all things considered.

If not any type of do-it-yourself person,....as others have suggested find a good independent shop,....many of them actually do a better job compared to some dealers.
This. Oil changes and brake fluid flushes are SO easy. Takes an hour to do both, less time than it takes to drive back and forth to the dealer.

Last edited by todd92; 02-10-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get the 20k service "kits" from suncoast (no affiliation). They have the porsche brake fluid on there as well, although there are probably a million other recommendations on this board....

http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...ENGINMain.html
Old 02-10-2015, 08:54 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
A 'dealer' service record has no value.
Unfortunately, no, that's not true. When it comes time to sell the car, a little research by the buyer may show that there is no record of a service, and they may ding you on the price to recover the cost of deferred maintenance. BTDT, as I DIY everything that I can.

Originally Posted by dkim12
Oil change is almost idiot proof, but I've never done a brake flush. Speaking for myself, probably not a good idea to start looking for a DIY on a Porsche for brakes.
Brakes are pretty simple and a fluid flush is no big deal. There's nothing wrong with paying someone to do something that you're not comfortable with - I get that. But don't let it intimidate you if it's something that you want to try.

I did the plugs (15K service) on my 993 because I figured, hey, how hard could it be? Well, it was hard. But I did it, and if I had another 993, I'd give serious thought to paying someone to do it next time. But now I can make an informed decision.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Tell the dealership all you want is an oil change, brake fluid flush and reset the computer. Should be far less than the $1,100 quote. Less than $600. Do the 2 cabin filters yourself.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Brake flush is nothing more than bleeding off fluid at each caliper until fresh fluid appears. If you have a friend to push on the pedal then it costs no more than the fluid. If not then you buy a simple fluid pump that attaches to the reservoir. If you want to be really thorough and completely replace all the fluid that's easy too. Suck out what you can with a turkey baster, pour in new fluid (preferably of a different color) and bleed through till it comes out each caliper. Just be careful to avoid letting the reservoir run down to where air gets in the line, because even a small air bubble will affect braking. If this happens you simply fill and bleed each corner until the fluid runs clear. Could hardly be easier.

By the way, do not replace fluid when the level drops due to pad wear. Fluid level is an indication of pad wear. If you add fluid, then when pads are replaced you have to suck it out or it will overflow.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Electrico
So, my 2012 991S is due for Intermediate Service (20,000 miles).

I call my local dealer and the following transpires:

"Hi, my 2012 991S is showing a message that the 20-thousand-mile Intermediate Service is due. Do you guys have an opening in the next couple days, and what is the cost of this service?"

"The Intermediate Service on a 991S is $825."

"$825? I thought it was just an oil change and a change of brake fluid."

"Well, that quote does not include the brake fluid part. That's another $250 or so."

"Hey, thanks a lot. I appreciate your time."

BUT, from all I have read, $1,100 sounds a bit steep for an Intermediate Service, no? Thing is, this is by FAR my closest and most convenient dealer.

If these guys are way off base, as I suspect they are, then does anybody know of a good independent in the Pasadena, CA area, or heck, a DIY for the brake fluid flush?

And if my understanding about this service is off, then please let me know too. Just doesn't seem to square with my research.

Thanks all.
That is exactly what I paid for mine. I priced it at two local dealers - pretty much the same price...
Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Tell the dealership all you want is an oil change, brake fluid flush and reset the computer. Should be far less than the $1,100 quote. Less than $600. Do the 2 cabin filters yourself.
Exactly what i did since my car has two years and 9K miles on it. Cost was less than $450 with my PCA discount.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Intermediate Service Cost

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Unfortunately, that sounds about right. I got 10K service - which included oil change, brake flush, wiper blade change, air filter change, and visual inspection for $1200.
Whoa, on Monday, February 2, 2015, an Intermediate Service was performed on our 2012 Porsche 997.2 by our Porsche dealer. Performed were oil and filter service (which included 5W40 synthetic oil, filter, o-ring, and aluminium seal ring); 28 point visual inspection; brake fluid flush and replacement (which included the brake fluid); and replacement of the cabin filter (filter cost included). The wiper blades were not replaced. Total Cost with tax, $344.81, on the Gulf Coast of Florida.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:01 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Here's a good list to keep in mind when scheduling service.

Should be pretty much an oil change and a brake flush if the car has been inservice for 2 years.

http://www.leithporsche.com/cdn.dlro...-checklist.pdf
This checklist may say Porsche at the top but it isn't correct. The recommended service interval in the manual is every 20,000 miles or two years. There is no 10,000 mile, 1 year recommended service.

Quick Reply: 991S Intermediate Service $1,100?