Sponsored by:

Porsche at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche at Daytona

I had not been following Porsche's results in endurance racing . I purchased my first Porsche about a year ago and decided to follow Le Mans . I became interested in the 918 prototype class. Le Man was always of special interest to me. Really enjoyed the running drivers at the start years ago.

Has Porsche been struggling at races like Daytona(GT class) for a period of time?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Last year the factory 991 actually won GTLM at both Daytona and Sebring. After that they made them put restrictors on the intakes and were no longer as dominant.
I'm not sure what happened last weekend though. The race coverage was not giving much info on the Porsche NA factory cars. The 912 car had alternator trouble early on, lost 7 laps and actually came back to within a lap before falling behind again. The 911 car was in second close behind the corvette for a good period. During the night something must have happened to both cars as in the AM they were both back several laps. The Falken car was in second for a while too. At the end the only 911 on the podium was the weathertec GTD car in second.

The corvettes are tough to beat again.

Looking forward to Sebring.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:15 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
I had not been following Porsche's results in endurance racing . I purchased my first Porsche about a year ago and decided to follow Le Mans . I became interested in the 918 prototype class. Le Man was always of special interest to me. Really enjoyed the running drivers at the start years ago.

Has Porsche been struggling at races like Daytona(GT class) for a period of time?
In racing its always a struggle. The thing about Porsche, from 68 to 91 they won 18 of 23 races at Daytona. At LeMans, Audi has won 10 of the last 14, including the last 5 in a row. But Porsche did not even compete in any of those save last year, and leads with 16 LeMans wins to Audi's 13. Now Porsche is back after a long absence and sure enough, looking at recent history its been a struggle. But as best I can recall, it was 'back in the day' too. I don't see Porsche letting those all-time endurance win records go without a fight. Here's to the struggle!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:22 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I was saddened to see the LMP1 cars get bounced from the ALMS now TUDOR here in the states. I was a big fan of Audi going to 12 hours of Sebring and Petite Le Mans multiple times and was happy to see Porsche get back into the series.

Now they only race those type of cars in Europe TV coverage of FIA WEC series here in the states is sketchy at best.

In the current TUDOR series I like pulling for the Weathertech and the Falcon Teams. I just wish Falcon would make some tires to fit our cars. No 305's that I can find.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
In racing its always a struggle. The thing about Porsche, from 68 to 91 they won 18 of 23 races at Daytona. At LeMans, Audi has won 10 of the last 14, including the last 5 in a row. But Porsche did not even compete in any of those save last year, and leads with 16 LeMans wins to Audi's 13. Now Porsche is back after a long absence and sure enough, looking at recent history its been a struggle. But as best I can recall, it was 'back in the day' too. I don't see Porsche letting those all-time endurance win records go without a fight. Here's to the struggle!
Chuck, I dunno' I can't say that we are always on the same page but I look forward to you being the straw that stirs the drink! That said, care to comment on how the politics of these races and not the engineering of the cars often (but not always) determine the winners. I don't follow sports car racing closely enough to pretend I know the details but it seems like there are always "technical" restrictions that put one team at a disadvantage and favor another team.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Why did porsche jump back in the fray at Le Mans at this moment in time? Audi was racking up wins and closing in on Porsche's all time record. Porsche certainly did not want to build turbo charged diesel race cars to compete directly with Audi. However with numerous rule changes Porsche thought that small displacement turbo motors aided by hybrid electric motors are a technology they could embrace with the added benefit of the tech. filtering down into production cars in the future. That is my guess.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 01-27-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Originally Posted by Car25
Last year the factory 991 actually won GTLM at both Daytona and Sebring. After that they made them put restrictors on the intakes and were no longer as dominant.
The corvettes have such large motors why would the Porsche's have restrictors.
That does not seem to be a level playing field.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:32 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

This particular race involved a fratricidal crash between the two factory 911's. Prior to that time, both GTLM cars were running strong and challenging for the lead. You may already know that and maybe your question was broader.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I find this interesting.

Both the 911 RSR's running in the GTLM class and the 911 GT America cars running in the GTD class have engines putting out 470 HP.

Quick Reply: Porsche at Daytona