Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

///M3 to 991 GTS (Well, I kept the ///M3)

Old 01-26-2015, 12:01 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

early 30's, mid 30's ....same thing as far as am concerned...
Old 01-26-2015, 12:34 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramphaus
2008 - The V8 E92 ///M3 was just debuting. WOW! The sound! The Practicality! Car seats! GOLF CLUBS!!!! Later I came to find that with the seats down and tarp on the cloth, you could fit your track wheels, brake accoutrements, and tools for any track day. Best all-rounder ever.
Very well said. Glad you kept your E92, the last real M3. And your GTS "vert" looks fantastic. ;-)
Old 01-26-2015, 12:49 AM
Ramphaus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold1898
If you are 16 in the "late 80's" how can you be "early 30's" in 2005? wish I could do that! Welcome anyway.
Harold, why are you doing so much math this late at night? J/k

Born 1975, but in an effort to focus on the E30 body style M3, and not confuse you P-car guys, I fudged the years a bit. Because if I say "late 80s M3," then even non-BMW car enthusiasts know the E30. If I say early 90s M3, then people might start having to google it.

But I love the attention to detail!!!

Last edited by Ramphaus; 01-26-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:01 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story, great car. Congratulations!
Old 01-26-2015, 04:43 AM
Harold1898
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair call re the dates. It is a wet and cold day here in Sydney so I guess I was in detail mood. You have done very well to have such a nice car so early in your life. Congratulations.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:48 AM
Ramphaus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harold1898
Fair call re the dates. It is a wet and cold day here in Sydney so I guess I was in detail mood. You have done very well to have such a nice car so early in your life. Congratulations.
Harold, thank you.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:52 AM
Ramphaus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Very well said. Glad you kept your E92, the last real M3. And your GTS "vert" looks fantastic. ;-)
Ha! Thanks
Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Gorgeous car and great story, a very enjoyable read.

Congrats!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Can you post a picture of your lift and give details? Where you got it, price, installation details, space/clearance needed? I only have as two car garage but it is very tall. I always thought I'd have to park a third car outside, but your post got me thinking...
Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Ramphaus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
Can you post a picture of your lift and give details? Where you got it, price, installation details, space/clearance needed? I only have as two car garage but it is very tall. I always thought I'd have to park a third car outside, but your post got me thinking...
Thanks!
Hi. So I bought a Direct Lift 8 Standard. Most important thing is clearance right? So here's a cool calculator that they have on their website:
http://www.directlift.com/ceilingCalc.aspx

When it came to deciding 2 vs 4 post, the fact of the matter is that a 4 post lift allows you to pull your DD into the bottom spot, parking on left-ish side of it, and open your door without obstruction.

I also found this video helpful:
My garage is a little wider than his, so my wife's car isn't as close to my cars as it is in this video.

Cost: not gnarly as much as I thought it would be. The 4 post lifts cost between 2k-4k. You could get them shipped to your house and then put them together yourself, or get a company to do it. Don't do that. Find a company near you that Sells, distributes, and assembles them - all you do is pay for it. For Directlift, their distributor map is here: http://www.directlift.com/DistributorMap.aspx. There doesn't seem like there's one near you in Maryland, so you might want to check the BendPak website.

Whatever you do, buy American...you can't afford to go cheap on something that could kill you or crush your baby. They all have multiple locks on the gearing mechanism. That isn't the part you worry about. You worry about a weak post. There are number of videos, of questionable merit, that show lifts made in China buckling...whatever. I bought American to feel better all-the-way-around.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:58 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Welcome!

And congrats on your purchase. Lol, you used the word gnarly. We are about the same age.

I drove for BMW as a factory driver in the mid 90's. The E36 M3 was the car I work on development of. I miss my E30 M3 every time I see one on the street. That isn't so often these days.

Good wife. Offering you the entire garage exclusively for your toys. Mine wants nothing with the garage. I tell her there are large spiders in there. Not like one of my neighbors though that has a big Italian spider in his.

Drive it in good health!
Old 01-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the post and video - now under serious consideration. You must have a pretty well put together "classic" - I'd be worried about the "drippage" from mine
Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Ramphaus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dalema
Thanks for the post and video - now under serious consideration. You must have a pretty well put together "classic" - I'd be worried about the "drippage" from mine
Ha. I consider the V8 ///M3 an INSTANT CLASSIC!!!
Regarding drippage, the lifts generally come with drip pans that are situated between the ramps. That essentially "seals" the top from the bottom.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Great info...thanks so much! Now to convince the wife!

Enjoy your car(s) in good health

Originally Posted by Ramphaus
Hi. So I bought a Direct Lift 8 Standard. Most important thing is clearance right? So here's a cool calculator that they have on their website:
http://www.directlift.com/ceilingCalc.aspx

When it came to deciding 2 vs 4 post, the fact of the matter is that a 4 post lift allows you to pull your DD into the bottom spot, parking on left-ish side of it, and open your door without obstruction.

I also found this video helpful: Residential car lift. Will it fit ? - YouTube
My garage is a little wider than his, so my wife's car isn't as close to my cars as it is in this video.

Cost: not gnarly as much as I thought it would be. The 4 post lifts cost between 2k-4k. You could get them shipped to your house and then put them together yourself, or get a company to do it. Don't do that. Find a company near you that Sells, distributes, and assembles them - all you do is pay for it. For Directlift, their distributor map is here: http://www.directlift.com/DistributorMap.aspx. There doesn't seem like there's one near you in Maryland, so you might want to check the BendPak website.

Whatever you do, buy American...you can't afford to go cheap on something that could kill you or crush your baby. They all have multiple locks on the gearing mechanism. That isn't the part you worry about. You worry about a weak post. There are number of videos, of questionable merit, that show lifts made in China buckling...whatever. I bought American to feel better all-the-way-around.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 AM
pap2828
Racer

Great story, great wife, great car..Boom!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ///M3 to 991 GTS (Well, I kept the ///M3)