Sponsored by:

GTS Club Sport Model

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:16 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Regarding the question on the pricing. The $137K does not include the listed "options". When you add the PDK, seats, comfort package, Bose, etc., the price will be around $148K. Frankly, in my opinion, these are the minimal options to get for this car. To buy it as it comes at $137K would not make sense to me.
That's the math I did (despite my handle, I can manage to use a calculator) and am figuring that list will be $150k once it's optioned with my "essentials."

The more I think about it, the more I want it. I am locked in a bit of a head and heart battle about it though.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I happy for those who choose to buy it. I'm not eligible to buy or win one, so the 1:43 scale model will have to do for now. Hopefully they'll have some delivered in time for Rennsport Reunion this year. Would be great to give the Club Coupes (both the 50th and 60th) front row parking.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I won a spot and accepted. I will have to sell the 993 to purchase the Club Coupe. Might just sell my allocation. Not sure what to do yet.

$150 is a lot for a NON GT car. My hope was to get a GT3/4 instead. But this car is very attractive, and I don't see it going down in value like other 991's.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:51 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
I happy for those who choose to buy it. I'm not eligible to buy or win one, so the 1:43 scale model will have to do for now. Hopefully they'll have some delivered in time for Rennsport Reunion this year. Would be great to give the Club Coupes (both the 50th and 60th) front row parking.
You should be proud that it exists!

Hopefully ill have mine by then and be parked in the front row and see you at Rennsport.

By the way, your parting letter in Pano was, in my opinion, quite good. Bravo.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Sell your allocation? I don't think so....

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I won a spot and accepted... Might just sell my allocation. Not sure what to do yet.
I don't think you'll be able to sell your allocation. Perhaps Manny (past President of the PCA) can clarify that point once & for all!

There was another 'wise guy' that tried to sell his 'right to purchase' via eBay for $25K. That didn't go far. And it wouldn't surprised me if this fellow is asked to leave the club! Frankly he will feel more at home in the 'Kia Club of America', where he continue his 'private collector' activities unchallenged!

Originally Posted by Z356
If your name was picked in the drawing (mine was not), you can not assign it...or pass on to a friend or stranger your 'right' of purchase!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8545...-model-11.html

Someone already tried to sell his 'right to purchase' for $25K on eBay...
and the auction was shut down shortly after it was started!

"This auction is for the right to purchase a 2015 Porsche Club Coupe GTS.
1 of only 59 produced for the 60th Club Anniversary. I was lucky enough
to win and accept one of the cars. I am a private collector, NOT a dealer.
MSRP for this car is approximately $138,000 depending on options
for the lucky 59. This car is not available for sale. The only way you
can own one of these cars is to be 1 of the 59 winners or buy from
a winner. For a markup I am willing to part with / pre sell my slot that
I have accepted and secured with Porsche. The new buyer can go with
me to spec out the car to their wishes. I am pre selling my car. Delivery
date is anticipated for June, but not guaranteed. A rare and low
production car. Lots of custom limited options exclusive to this factory
build. I am seeking a $25,000 markup from whatever the final price
is paid for the car. This auction reflects the price I am charging for
my car that is secured. A small price to pay for such a rare car. One
of the lowest production runs! Be the first owner. "Enhanced Carrera
S Motor" $12,500 due to end the auction and secure the car. The
remaining balance of $12,500 due upon car delivery. By completing
this auction, you are committing to pay the MSRP price which is
negotiable with the dealer including any fees. The $25,000 is to
me, and the buyer will be responsible for the rest with Porsche.
You will end up paying a total of approximately $163,000 for the
car. #1/59 VIN Decided due to winning - VIN#GTS2015ClubCoupe1
== Pictures are stock from when Porsche showed the first car.
Yours will be very similar as they are limited editions, but can
vary some depending on how the new buyer custom orders the
options. I welcome entering into a contract or agreement to
secure the safety of both parties and so the car can be purchased
by the new owner with my help. I have documentation from
Porsche validating my commitment and showing I have secured
of 1 of the 59 cars. Very Rare and Very Cool!

Thanks I am open for offers, but due to the rarity and interest
I have already had, the price is fairly firm.

After speaking with Porsche today, you can spec the following
when ordering the car from Porsche: 7 Speed Automatic or
7 Speed Manual. Sunroof or no sunroof, and a few interior
options as most of the car is limited. Per Porsche:

The Vehicle: Vehicle available for purchase features the following:
- Basis: 911 Carrera GTS Coupe (991 MY G)
- Color to sample: Club Blau
- Sport Design Package including fixed rear wing
- GTS Communication Package
- GTS Alcantara® Package with Carmine Red accents
- GTS Club Coupe Package including:
- model designation "Club Coupe" on doors in black (semi gloss)
- 20 inch Sport Classic Wheels
- Personalized door sill guards, dashboard trim, and center
compartment lid
- Steering Wheel with 2-tone stitching in Carmine Red and Blue
with 12 o'clock marker in Red
- Gear leaver hood leather / PDK lever leather."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...745&rmvSB=true

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS Reference the eBay seller's remark that 'I am a private collector, NOT a dealer',
it reminds me of this old joke:

“They are telling this of Lord Beaverbrook and a visiting Yankee actress.
In a game of hypothetical questions, Beaverbrook asked the lady: ‘Would
you live with a stranger if he paid you one million pounds?’ She said she
would. ‘And if be paid you five pounds?’ The irate lady fumed: ‘Five pounds.
What do you think I am?’ Beaverbrook replied: ‘We’ve already established that.
Now we are trying to determine the degree.”
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...lub-coupe.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-25-2015, 04:19 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty sure the agreement I was sent forbids transferring this allocation to anyone else.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:30 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Pretty sure the agreement I was sent forbids transferring this allocation to anyone else.
That's how I read it. And if that's not the letter of the agreement, it is certainly the spirit of the agreement.

I'm all for the free market, but I don't believe free market rules apply here. The idea of the PCA and esprit-de-corps of the club should rule. The member who posted the eBay ad, I believe, had an obligation to pass and allow PCA National to find a different member who wants the car.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,245 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
That's how I read it. And if that's not the letter of the agreement, it is certainly the spirit of the agreement.

I'm all for the free market, but I don't believe free market rules apply here. The idea of the PCA and esprit-de-corps of the club should rule. The member who posted the eBay ad, I believe, had an obligation to pass and allow PCA National to find a different member who wants the car.
+1 ... maybe thats why the auction ended so quickly?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Fair enough. But let me float another interpretation (just because it's fun to debate -- I got no skin in the game):

Mr. Mercenary wins a slot but doesn't care about the club, the car, etc. He just wants to make a profit. So he does a deal with Mr. Clubman -- could be over eBay, could be amongst friends of his, the local club, whatever. The deal is for the guy to pay him X dollars for the car above purchase price. But of course, Mr. Mercenary has to buy it, per the rules.

They come to an agreement. MM buys the car, flips it as soon as the title comes in to Mr. Clubman. Mr. Clubman is, by definition, passionate about the Club Sport model. So passionate that he's willing to pay a premium for the thing. A premium beyond the already high premium being charged by PCA or PCNA or whoever set the pricing.

Seems like by this measure, the most passionate fans would be able to demonstrate their passion by paying more for the thing, no? I mean, it's not like we're talking about some rich bully stealing food from a poor kid's mouth -- presumably every person who would genuinely like to buy a $150,000 Porsche wouldn't be frozen out of buying the same car for $175k. So the free market "auction" system allows the most passionate PCA'ers who didn't win a slot to compete for the coveted Club Blau GTS.

If I was on the edge of my seat, money in hand, wanting one of these, and I didn't win a slot, I'd want to at least have the option to buy one from somebody who did win, rather than continue to leave it to chance.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Fair enough. But let me float another interpretation (just because it's fun to debate -- I got no skin in the game):

Mr. Mercenary wins a slot but doesn't care about the club, the car, etc. He just wants to make a profit. So he does a deal with Mr. Clubman -- could be over eBay, could be amongst friends of his, the local club, whatever. The deal is for the guy to pay him X dollars for the car above purchase price. But of course, Mr. Mercenary has to buy it, per the rules.

They come to an agreement. MM buys the car, flips it as soon as the title comes in to Mr. Clubman. Mr. Clubman is, by definition, passionate about the Club Sport model. So passionate that he's willing to pay a premium for the thing. A premium beyond the already high premium being charged by PCA or PCNA or whoever set the pricing.

Seems like by this measure, the most passionate fans would be able to demonstrate their passion by paying more for the thing, no? I mean, it's not like we're talking about some rich bully stealing food from a poor kid's mouth -- presumably every person who would genuinely like to buy a $150,000 Porsche wouldn't be frozen out of buying the same car for $175k. So the free market "auction" system allows the most passionate PCA'ers who didn't win a slot to compete for the coveted Club Blau GTS.

If I was on the edge of my seat, money in hand, wanting one of these, and I didn't win a slot, I'd want to at least have the option to buy one from somebody who did win, rather than continue to leave it to chance.
To my knowledge, there's nothing stopping this exact scenario from happening. MM buys car specified for MC - or just buys car with whatever specification he sees fit and immediately puts it up for sale. Since there's nothing preventing this from happening, I'm guessing it'll happen. Seems as though it did with the 50th anniversary Club Coupe.

It either does or doesn't go to a club member, but it does go to someone who is, for whatever motivation, willing to pay the specified price for the car. It's personal property and it's not like a special edition Ferrari or GM electric car (what were those things called?) in which the car is leased and must go back from the lessee to the manufacturer. So far so good.

Here's where I get kicked off the debate team - my sense of boy scout instincts and fair play say that the right to purchase was intended to go to a club member, by lottery rather than auction. Since it's still a right to purchase, and the member given the right didn't want to exercise it, the right should revert back to the club to figure out someone who does.

However odious I find the eBay posting to be, it's not surprising. At some level, I'd sympathize with your hypothetical MC. In fact, assuming I'm able to strike a decent deal with my dealer (God knows what happens if that's not the case), I hope there are a boatload of MC's who really want the car and keep the values up. And (sorry to be a bad debate partner) you're right, selling immediately after delivery isn't much (any?) different than selling the right to buy the car.

It just rubs me the wrong way.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I think there may be sales tax issues as well, at least in many states. Let's say you exercise your lottery win by actually ordering and taking delivery of your Club Coupe, having at some point made an agreement with another person to sell him/her the car shortly after it is delivered to you. Even though you never register the car with the state Motor Vehicle authority you are likely to owe the state's sales tax on the purchase price (not the licensing fee or excise tax). The person who buys the car from you, for whatever price, will owe the sales tax on that price paid as well. So, in theory at least, it's a big win for the state where the chosen dealer is situated. Of course, you could (as the original lottery winner) elect to negotiate the purchase price with a dealer situated in a state with no sales tax. In that case, it would seem that at least the selling Porsche dealer would have no obligation to collect any sales tax from you (the PCA lottery winner/original purchaser). The final buyer, who we'll assume plans to register and drive the new Club Coupe, will do whatever his/her state requires. I'd be willing to bet that the sales contract (not the one actually agreed to between the parties) presented to the MV authority to register the car would state a heavily depreciated (as opposed to discounted) $ price in order to significantly reduce the actual sales tax collected by the registering state. Fraud? Yes. Total abrogation of the spirit in which the PCA has made this special car available to 60 members? Yes again. Many people would say "it's just business, nothing personal." After all, even if somebody wants the car he's won the right to buy, if six months later some guy in Moscow offers him double what he paid for it originally, would he refuse the offer because the car would no longer be within the PCA family? On second thought, the guy in Moscow could join PCA, couldn't he? Never mind, I've confused myself enough.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow - 40% left over!

"We have 23 Club Coupes that are unclaimed for purchase. We'll be contacting the next round of winners on Monday morning."
Old 03-27-2015, 12:37 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Wow - 40% left over!

"We have 23 Club Coupes that are unclaimed for purchase. We'll be contacting the next round of winners on Monday morning."
As a disclaimer, I am a fan of the Club Coupe "in principle". However, the math says that it is going to be a tough sell. Note:

1) Less than 2% of possible entrants actually signed up for the chance to be drawn.
2) 39% of the elite group who actually signed up and were selected rejected the offer outright
3) Of the 23 new people selected, out of the same pool who already rejected the offer 39% of the time, it should be expected that the same percentage (39%) of them will also reject.
4) Finally, of the 61% of the people who notified them they it was their "intention" to purchase, it should be no surprise that some percentage of them will not make a deal with the dealer.

Given the above, it might take some time to move the 59 units, at least by the method Porsche club is using. Again, I am not negative on the car and was actually considering to buy it if selected. However, it would have been a negotiation for sure.

Why the difficulty in selling the cars? My humble opinion is that there are 3 issues:

- lack of REAL exclusivity, other than color and badging.
- A polarizing color...you love it or hate it. Not much in between.
- Finally, and maybe the most important, is price. It is a $115K car, marked up to around $150K. The $137K advertised price is not realistic without adding real world basic options.

If you are in the market already for a GTS, it is a no brainer. Otherwise, it is a difficult decision, as noted by the figures above. It is not an investment....you need to want it and drive it. Just my humble, neutral opinion.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:05 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikemdd
As a disclaimer, I am a fan of the Club Coupe "in principle". However, the math says that it is going to be a tough sell. Note:

1) Less than 2% of possible entrants actually signed up for the chance to be drawn.
2) 39% of the elite group who actually signed up and were selected rejected the offer outright
3) Of the 23 new people selected, out of the same pool who already rejected the offer 39% of the time, it should be expected that the same percentage (39%) of them will also reject.
4) Finally, of the 61% of the people who notified them they it was their "intention" to purchase, it should be no surprise that some percentage of them will not make a deal with the dealer.

Given the above, it might take some time to move the 59 units, at least by the method Porsche club is using. Again, I am not negative on the car and was actually considering to buy it if selected. However, it would have been a negotiation for sure.

Why the difficulty in selling the cars? My humble opinion is that there are 3 issues:

- lack of REAL exclusivity, other than color and badging.
- A polarizing color...you love it or hate it. Not much in between.
- Finally, and maybe the most important, is price. It is a $115K car, marked up to around $150K. The $137K advertised price is not realistic without adding real world basic options.

If you are in the market already for a GTS, it is a no brainer. Otherwise, it is a difficult decision, as noted by the figures above. It is not an investment....you need to want it and drive it. Just my humble, neutral opinion.
Ooof. This seemed a less complicated decision for me yesterday (before knowing that - to me - a surprising number are left to be claimed).

Still, to me its a very desirable car and a very desirable color.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Wow - 40% left over!

Yeah, wow, that's shockingly high.

Ooof. This seemed a less complicated decision for me yesterday (before knowing that - to me - a surprising number are left to be claimed).

Still, to me its a very desirable car and a very desirable color.
Indeed. I love the color.

Quick Reply: GTS Club Sport Model