Sponsored by:

New GTS Owner first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:05 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian M
I have a 991 GTS pdk and have found that the car will rev match when sifting down in standard mode or even when braking very hard into a bend. I believe its more to do with engine speed when the down shift occurs rather than the mode you are in. For example if you are revving high in third and brake and sift down to second, the engine will blip to take account for the now even higher rpm.

I think its just more noticeable in sports+ mode because the car is kept at much high revs and thus the 'blip' happens more often.
I believe they are talking about 7MT not PDK
Old 01-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
I believe they are talking about 7MT not PDK
+1 PDK will always rev match
Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ian M
I have a 991 GTS pdk and have found that the car will rev match when sifting down in standard mode or even when braking very hard into a bend. I believe its more to do with engine speed when the down shift occurs rather than the mode you are in. For example if you are revving high in third and brake and sift down to second, the engine will blip to take account for the now even higher rpm.

I think its just more noticeable in sports+ mode because the car is kept at much high revs and thus the 'blip' happens more often.
Ian that is the whole purpose of 'blipping'; to match the engine rpm with the 'new' gear, it avoids clutch wear and does not compromise the stability of the car by effectively 'engine braking' the wheels (and thus causing a weight transfer)

PDK cars can/should do this all the time, on manual cars with Sport Chrono, Porsche chose to offer the feature of an automatic blip in sport+ mode, since
this would typically be associated with spirited driving where downshifts most often require rev matching to ensure smoothness.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:49 AM
0explorer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the 7 speed manual --

(disclaimer) It's my first 7 speed manual and my 1st 991; so, not sure if this is common knowledge.

In any event, I was quite surprised when I noticed that I can only access 7th gear after being 6th. i.e., I can't go from 5th to 7th (not that I ever would). It's mechanically locked out. I'm not complaining...just kinda interesting; thought, I'd share.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 0explorer
I was quite surprised when I noticed that I can only access 7th gear after being 6th. i.e., I can't go from 5th to 7th (not that I ever would). It's mechanically locked out. I'm not complaining...just kinda interesting; thought, I'd share.
And if I remember correctly, you can downshift from 7th to 6th or 5th only. Again, the other gears are locked out.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:03 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Also noticed that the sport exhaust requires a blip on the gas pedal to engage.
I'm not sure what you mean on this one ... once you put the car in sport mode the rpm's kick up a drop and the car sounds louder ... I never noticed having to touch the gas pedal to engage to sport exhaust ...

Can you explain it a little better ...
Old 01-24-2015, 01:13 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

- This is my first car having a manual transmission and electric parking brake. It simply feels odd pushing the electric brake button after parking (I’m sure I’ll get used to it).

- Hill assist is super strange. I get why it’s helpful especially considering not having a manual parking brake, but nonetheless it’s weird. It caused me to stall the first time it kicked in (I wasn’t expecting it).

First I have to tell you your new car is absolutely beautiful ... I love the color, the black wheels and the interior !! Best of luck with it.

The electric parking brake is something you get used too to the point when I drive one of my other cars I sometimes reach my left head down to where the parking brake is located on the Porsche only to find it isn't there and I have to use the old fashioned hand brake.

In regards to the hill assist I did the same thing as you the first few times it locked in ... I find it rarely does kick in but it is not as awkward now that you are aware of it ... still it could release a little faster IMO but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by C4S/GT3
About time you weeded the driveway!
LOL this comment had me laughing ... I don't think I've seen a driveway like this one before ... how the heck does the landscaper cut it ... I guess they use a weedwacker because I don't think their mowers can trim that low ...
Old 01-24-2015, 04:32 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AF330i
I'm not sure what you mean on this one ... once you put the car in sport mode the rpm's kick up a drop and the car sounds louder ... I never noticed having to touch the gas pedal to engage to sport exhaust ...

Can you explain it a little better ...
Sure. When engaging Sport exhaust from a cold start the exhaust valve doesn't open until you blip or rev the engine. When the engine is warm it functions normally without the blip. When I experienced this. I thought there was a problem. I referenced the manual and it states such. I believe it's on Page 197.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:37 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by hinckley
And if I remember correctly, you can downshift from 7th to 6th or 5th only. Again, the other gears are locked out.
Hi Hinckley, I have tried that and to my knowledge I believe it can take any gear on a downshift.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:38 PM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: 7th gear upshifts on the 7MT: the solenoid that blocks the gate is deactivated when you are in 5th or 6th gear. Therefore you can shift into 7th from 5th or 6th.

You can downshift into any gear from 7th.

At least these things are true in my 991 C4S..

W
Old 01-24-2015, 04:48 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

On the 7 speed manual --

(disclaimer) It's my first 7 speed manual and my 1st 991; so, not sure if this is common knowledge.

In any event, I was quite surprised when I noticed that I can only access 7th gear after being 6th. i.e., I can't go from 5th to 7th (not that I ever would). It's mechanically locked out. I'm not complaining...just kinda interesting; thought, I'd share.
You may very well be correct but if I recall. I believe it will go into 7th from 5th or 6th gear but not from any other. You got me thinking. Not entirely sure now. To bad it just snowed 8" here. That would have bin a perfect excuse to take a ride and find out.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by wwspeeds
Re: 7th gear upshifts on the 7MT: the solenoid that blocks the gate is deactivated when you are in 5th or 6th gear. Therefore you can shift into 7th from 5th or 6th.

You can downshift into any gear from 7th.

At least these things are true in my 991 C4S..

W
Beat me to it. At least half of it.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 01-24-2015, 05:08 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by AF330i
LOL this comment had me laughing ... I don't think I've seen a driveway like this one before ... how the heck does the landscaper cut it ... I guess they use a weedwacker because I don't think their mowers can trim that low ...
I kind of admire that driveway. Never seen anything like that up here in the north east though. We're use to spraying roundup to rid our pavers of weeds and such. In climates that don't necessarily have much greenery I can see the benefits.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:09 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm...I don't recall this to be true...I believe I've downshifted before from 7th to 3rd...but not 100%s...I got to try it again...now I'm really curious..

Quick Reply: New GTS Owner first impressions