Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro delivery - April 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:29 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the box for an April Euro Delivery in Zuffenhausen. Excited to pick up my 2015 C2S for a three week trip with the wifey. Already received some suggestions from JimSands but wanted to open it up to the forum for suggested routes/itinerary for that time of year.

Last edited by kaution321; 03-28-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I'm doing ED (again) in May, we are going through Switzerland, then over to Provence, Burgundy & Champagne regions and back to Stuttgart, hopefully with
a quick stopover at the Nurburgring on the way back...

stay south, avoid Switzerland/Austria high passes...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 01-01-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Collect your car in Leipzig, go straight on the track, get your critical first hundred miles of break-in done right and become familiar with your new car in the safest, best possible way. Tour the factory when you drop the car off at Zuffenhausen at the end of your trip.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Collect your car in Leipzig, go straight on the track, get your critical first hundred miles of break-in done right and become familiar with your new car in the safest, best possible way. Tour the factory when you drop the car off at Zuffenhausen at the end of your trip.
I'm not a 100% certain that Leipzig allow you to take "your" car on track, I *thought* (but I am not certain) that they took you out for a small number of laps in a similar car...

+1 on the factory tour, you need to schedule this in advance (for the english-speaking version mailto:factorytours@porsche.de ), I also highly recommend saving a couple of hours for the museum and lunch or dinner at the
Christophorus restaurant as well ... make a day of it!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 01-01-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:11 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Not allow? That's funny! Makes me wish I'd bookmarked the thread where the guy not only went straight on the track with his car, but with a Porsche instructor driving it flat-out so freakin' fast the guy could hardly believe it. But I did bookmark the thread with the best post of the year, balaclava's ED experience, "I did ask about break-in, and got the following answers: “for American customers, we must recommend you to keep it below 4200rpm, for everyone else we suggest use it as you normally would: careful while cold, then flat out.” This just confirmed my earlier decision that I am not going to baby it too much, especially not while doing my trip in the Alps. Hit the rev limiter a few times every day for proper exercise." https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8250...ery-diary.html Thread has some great travel tips too.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Not allow? That's funny! Makes me wish I'd bookmarked the thread where the guy not only went straight on the track with his car, but with a Porsche instructor driving it flat-out so freakin' fast the guy could hardly believe it. But I did bookmark the thread with the best post of the year, balaclava's ED experience, "I did ask about break-in, and got the following answers: “for American customers, we must recommend you to keep it below 4200rpm, for everyone else we suggest use it as you normally would: careful while cold, then flat out.” This just confirmed my earlier decision that I am not going to baby it too much, especially not while doing my trip in the Alps. Hit the rev limiter a few times every day for proper exercise." https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8250...ery-diary.html Thread has some great travel tips too.

I stand corrected! and since it was not my intent to amuse anyone, I will channel Joe Pesci who states it best:

Old 01-02-2015, 01:21 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If there is any way you can push it back even a few weeks, you may find that a few more of the great mountain passes will be open and are well worth traversing. We really enjoyed our ED last May. Here is the RL thread on our trip: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...us-photos.html If you must go in April, definitely stay south.
You will love your trip!!! Enjoy!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the way to go may be to collect in Leipzig and drop off in Zuffenhausen if possible (and if you want to track it)
Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Kaution,

I did ED in May 2013. I kept the car in Europe for 45 days and drove through Germany, Switzerland, Austria, northern Italy and the south of France. You are going to have a great time!

I wrote a how-to manual for ED when I returned home, which you can find here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7668...c4s-recap.html

During the trip I logged pictures, videos and trip notes here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7567...-tomorrow.html

I also put more information on my blog here: alanjcook.wordpress.com

I am very excited for you! I hope you have as much fun on your trip as I did on mine!

Congrats,
Alan
Old 01-03-2015, 12:17 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
If there is any way you can push it back even a few weeks, you may find that a few more of the great mountain passes will be open and are well worth traversing. We really enjoyed our ED last May. Here is the RL thread on our trip: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...us-photos.html If you must go in April, definitely stay south.
You will love your trip!!! Enjoy!
Agree with Daniel completely on this - we did our ED pickup 2.5 weeks earlier than theirs, May 9/14 at Leipzig - were in Germany/Holland/France first, arriving at Interlaken on May 18; at that time many choice passes were still closed, however we did manage the Oberalppass (May 20; lots of snow on the side of the road, fresh snow as recently as 2 days before we drove through), and the Julierpass and Pass dal Fuorn (May 21, completely clear and dry).

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Sounds like the way to go may be to collect in Leipzig and drop off in Zuffenhausen if possible (and if you want to track it)
Yes, Larry, best of both worlds - pick up in Leipzig, drive the track and/or the off-road course then tour the Cayenne/Panamera/Macan factory; drop off at Zuffenhausen, see the museum and tour the 911/Boxster factory.

Cheers,
Martin
If you haven't seen it already, check my ED thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8133...xperience.html

P.S. They will keep your car waiting for you if you are able to change your Delivery date - our sat for 4-5 weeks after build date to accommodate our delivery date (one would assume you won't alter your build slot at this point...).
Unfortunately Leipzig delivery has become extremely popular making it much more difficult to arrange delivery there.
Jamie Dillon <Jamie.Dillon@porsche.us> was extremely helpful to us in sorting out some of these details.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VIC_50th
Agree with Daniel completely on this - we did our ED pickup 2.5 weeks earlier than theirs, May 9/14 at Leipzig - were in Germany/Holland/France first, arriving at Interlaken on May 18; at that time many choice passes were still closed, however we did manage the Oberalppass (May 20; lots of snow on the side of the road, fresh snow as recently as 2 days before we drove through), and the Julierpass and Pass dal Fuorn (May 21, completely clear and dry).

Yes, Larry, best of both worlds - pick up in Leipzig, drive the track and/or the off-road course then tour the Cayenne/Panamera/Macan factory; drop off at Zuffenhausen, see the museum and tour the 911/Boxster factory.

Cheers,
Martin
If you haven't seen it already, check my ED thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8133...xperience.html

P.S. They will keep your car waiting for you if you are able to change your Delivery date - our sat for 4-5 weeks after build date to accommodate our delivery date (one would assume you won't alter your build slot at this point...).
Unfortunately Leipzig delivery has become extremely popular making it much more difficult to arrange delivery there.
Jamie Dillon <Jamie.Dillon@porsche.us> was extremely helpful to us in sorting out some of these details.
+1 my car builds in April but we will not collect until May...
Old 01-04-2015, 03:16 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents,

Thank you all for the helpful information and valuable threads. I greatly enjoyed reading everyone's threads from their past ED experiences and looking forward to my own experience. I plan to do about 2k miles of driving in 16 days. How many miles did you guys drive and how long was your ED trip?

Below are some updates:

- ED location: I want to pick up and drop off in stuttgart mainly because the 911 is built there and the whole history of the brand ect.

- Timing: build date is March and I don't want to postpone the build/delivery to the U.S. So unfortunately the trip will have to be in April. I will try to push out a bit but don't want it too late in April since will take another 4-6 weeks shipment going stateside which means dealer delivery will now be well into summer.

- Routes: I will use some of the recommendations here and stay along the coast and spend my last week of the trip in Germany to do castle tours, autobahn and Nurburgring.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:20 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kaution321
How many miles did you guys drive and how long was your ED trip?
4500 km over 2 weeks (but first week was spent with family so not much driving until the 2nd week). Doable, but not ideal, since a fair bit of highway driving to get to the next region. Stay on the smaller roads as much as possible for the best driving experience. Highways are efficient but somewhat boring. And leave time to enjoy each place to stop at. Enjoy!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:07 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did 4k miles in 45 days. I hit the ring on last two days before I returned my car back to factory. I rented another car and hired an instructor for a few laps before taking my car out there. At very least I suggest introducing yourself to people in the parking lot and riding shotgun for a lap or two to get a sense of what you are in for... Then Forget laps times.... And bring your car home in one piece. Also, consider staying in Stuttgart overnight the day you get the car... I did a long drive shortly after leaving the factory... After the adrenaline subsided I was zonked... And Now I understand why repeat ED folks stay in town the first night and hit the road the following morning :-)
Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alanjcook
I did 4k miles in 45 days. I hit the ring on last two days before I returned my car back to factory. I rented another car and hired an instructor for a few laps before taking my car out there. At very least I suggest introducing yourself to people in the parking lot and riding shotgun for a lap or two to get a sense of what you are in for... Then Forget laps times.... And bring your car home in one piece. Also, consider staying in Stuttgart overnight the day you get the car... I did a long drive shortly after leaving the factory... After the adrenaline subsided I was zonked... And Now I understand why repeat ED folks stay in town the first night and hit the road the following morning :-)
Totally agree, you *MUST* get instruction before attempting the ring at anything other than "road speeds".

Both RSRNurburg and RentRaceCar and other local companies can provide instruction.

You can also find a very friendly bunch of other drivers happy to let you ride along.

I'd also recommend, if you can coordinate it, attending one of the many driving courses there, PSDS, Scuderia Hanseat, S7, BMW M Fahrer training etc.

You should also do some homework prior and at least attempt to learn the corners and lines... using youtube full lap videos really help visualize the track... and give you something to do on the 11 hour flight to FRA from SFO

Last edited by Larry Cable; 01-05-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Euro delivery - April 2015