Sponsored by:

Jack Point stands

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 01:56 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jack Point stands

Do any members us the jack point stands? The stands appear to raise the car up fairly high, do you try to raise the car up on one side only and then do the other side? The reason i ask is because it does appear the car would have a lot of twist imparted to the chassis in this position. I thought about the running the side not being lifted up on a 2x12 to equalize the height difference a bit .
Old 12-25-2014, 02:29 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Have 'em, love 'em. They work and work well..

Old 12-25-2014, 02:35 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I use them... There is a lot of twist like you mentioned.. So much that it will lift the other wheel on the same side off the ground until I jack the other side up...

I just sort of go slow and careful and have developed a technique I'm comfortable with...

The good thing is they are rock solid once you get it sitting on a pair..
Old 12-25-2014, 02:37 PM
drcollie
Race Car

The only thing I'm careful not to do when one side is jacked up from a single point, on any car and with any kind of lift - is to not open the door on the side that is up in the air. I have no proof of it, but I think that if the door is opened while the car is in a stress twist position, it allows for more flex.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Maybe get a pair of ramps for whatever end of the car you're wanting to jack? As long as they're not as tall as the jack stands. That way, the other side would already be pretty close to the jack stand height to even it out? Make sense?

I agree, I don't like the idea of having only one corner of the car jacked up so high putting stress on it.

http://www.raceramps.com/vehicle-lift-ramps.aspx
Old 12-25-2014, 06:29 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really a fan of ramps generally..

I think I may get a second floor jack and bring each side up roughly at the same time (going back and forth)..

I'm mainly concerned when I put both from and back pairs on.. (4jacks) It is after I have the front up (or back) and then start on the third jack point.. I get a bit nervous about how things move around on the first two jackpoints .. Two floor jacks might be a bit smoother..
Old 12-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

↑ just purchased a second floor jack (from Costco $99) to do what you are doing.

Haven't tried the concept yet, but the next event is my 1st DIY oil change.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:09 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two jacks seem to be the answer. When looking at DRCollie's pics you can see how high the car is. Really can't imagine just one wheel that high. The front of the rubber pad contact point must really be flatting out at that angle, all of the weight is being supported at the front of pad and contact patch underneath the car.

It is also interesting to see just how much droop there is in the rear suspension a lot more than I would have guessed.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 12-26-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:52 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm assuming you mean using 2 jacks to lift the car to install jack stands. I won't push our jack stands here, but please use a pair of jack stands of some type. Using 2 jacks to lift the car is fine, but don't go under a car that is supported by floor jacks alone. Even a properly operating jack is not designed to support weight for an extended time. While MANY people do this without a problem, a failed oil seal will cause the jack to drop quite suddenly. You're not guaranteed a warning before that happens. If one of the two jacks failed, you could have the car slip off the other jack and damage the car even if you're not under it.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:57 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
I'm assuming you mean using 2 jacks to lift the car to install jack stands. I won't push our jack stands here, but please use a pair of jack stands of some type. Using 2 jacks to lift the car is fine, but don't go under a car that is supported by floor jacks alone. Even a properly operating jack is not designed to support weight for an extended time. While MANY people do this without a problem, a failed oil seal will cause the jack to drop quite suddenly. You're not guaranteed a warning before that happens. If one of the two jacks failed, you could have the car slip off the other jack and damage the car even if you're not under it.
Back to the OP's question, what do you suggest for lifting the car evenly to use your stands?

Like he mentioned, jacking up one corner so high is a bit concerning. The two jacks was referencing lifting the car evenly to put stands underneath.

I sure hope nobody would work under their car using no stands and only floor jacks! Dangerous!!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:54 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Its pretty easy. Two floor jacks and two jackstands is what you do. Go over and pump one a few times, then go pump the other if you have concerns about one side going up to high while the other is low. Walk around back and forth a few times and you're all set. The Jackpoint Jackstand is a slick bit of kit. I recommend them - and I'm pretty particular. They won't replace a nice hydraulic lift, but they're the next best thing if you're working off the floor.

Ramps to me are unsafe, I stopped using them 30 years ago (not looking to start a thread on that, just making a statement based on many years experience).
Old 12-26-2014, 09:22 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Drive on 4-post lift (delivered $ 2200). Last's a lifetime. T
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2014, 09:25 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Drive on 4-post lift (delivered $ 2200). Last's a lifetime. T
The four post lift is good for oil changes and other things under the car (that's how I use mine), but it's no help with changing wheels.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:36 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Accessorize. Mobile engine & trans oil station $ 75.00, Drip trays for storing car below $ 75.00. Aluminum 1.5 ton jack to lift a corner up for wheel change, etc: $ 29.00. Sliding lift to lift two front or 2 two rear wheels, $ 300. Installed a big mirror in front of lift so no need to leave car to safely drive on. Wonderful to work on cars/truck at comfortable level. All of this for only $ 2679 or $ 431 less than the LED headlights I don't really need. No more crawling around on a cold, damp cement floor. Should have done this 30 years ago. T
Attached Images      

Last edited by 77tony; 12-26-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:42 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I'm getting another set of these: http://liftbars.com

Quick Reply: Jack Point stands