Sponsored by:

Cup holder problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Cup holder problem

Just got my car two weeks ago and used the cup holder for the first time today. Now, neither extended cup arm or the center covering section will go back into place. Basically, nothing engages to reset it. I'm wondering if something is misaligned, but then I cant understand why it remained closed to begin with. Any help please?
Old 12-19-2014, 08:50 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,378 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Its not the best design....

My guess is you are not pushing them in far enough, there is a detent in there that has to be engaged. Make sure the 'circle' part that grasps the cup/bottle is fully collapsed, then push the arm back until you feel it engage. Then the center will close.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

My guess is you are not pushing them in far enough, there is a detent in there that has to be engaged. Make sure the 'circle' part that grasps the cup/bottle is fully collapsed, then push the arm back until you feel it engage. Then the center will close.
Love your signature. My first was in 79. My obsession has outlasted 2 wives and numerous GF's.!!

Sorry, didn't meant to hijack your thread.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:36 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Drcollie,
Thank you and your advice was correct. Problem solved.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:20 PM
gusp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the same thing. Poorly designed or just an after thought. But we are wrong.... the Germans are much more clever than I thought.

The cup holder was deliberately put there so that your cup is positioned directly in front of the vent. The idea is that when it's cold out, you're drinking a hot beverage and you have the heat on in your car. Turn on the front facing vent and your hot beverage will stay hot. Vice versa in warm weather.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:29 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,378 Likes on 1,537 Posts

No..no..you have it wrong there, gusp. The Germans HATE cupholders. HATE THEM. They believe all driving must be focused, but stupid, fat, lazy Americans want their drinks in the car with them so they put the cupholders in that location so that when you hit a bump, whatever is in your drink spills on the console and soaks into your switchgear right underneath it. The Heater and A/C controls. That ruins those switches and you must replace them. And they chuckle over in Stuttgart about that with every replacement part sold. Think of that cupholder location as a penalty for those of us who insist on having cupholders in our Porsches - they'll make ya pay for new switches down the road...lol
Old 12-22-2014, 06:37 PM
gusp
Instructor

Haha yes! Actually I think you got it right!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Kinda cool design until you realize that the drivers side holder is directly over everything electronic you can think of, and any American sized drink way overpowers it.

Almost wish they would kill the design and do something with the little cubby or smokers area in the center column,....how hard would it be to put something more secure in that area? Only needs to be a single and
could have a nice flip door to it like the smokers kit does,....but it's not that deep.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:23 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

jon, your car looks gorgeous.

with respect to fat lazy americans, as a canadian i can personally attest to driving around with a warm cup of maple syrup at all times. just wrap everything in saran and you're good to go!
Old 12-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
jon, your car looks gorgeous.

with respect to fat lazy americans, as a canadian i can personally attest to driving around with a warm cup of maple syrup at all times. just wrap everything in saran and you're good to go!
LOL!
Old 12-23-2014, 11:51 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

First of all, those are not cup holders. www.ultimatecupholders.com add the no drip s/s cup. Product is low, out of the way and will not spill all over your electronics. T
Attached Images      
Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

No..no..you have it wrong there, gusp. The Germans HATE cupholders. HATE THEM. They believe all driving must be focused, but stupid, fat, lazy Americans want their drinks in the car with them so they put the cupholders in that location so that when you hit a bump, whatever is in your drink spills on the console and soaks into your switchgear right underneath it. The Heater and A/C controls. That ruins those switches and you must replace them. And they chuckle over in Stuttgart about that with every replacement part sold. Think of that cupholder location as a penalty for those of us who insist on having cupholders in our Porsches - they'll make ya pay for new switches down the road...lol

The Germans were fat wayyyyy before Americans. Land of sausage and beer. They have never been thought of as a svelte people.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:07 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I seriously believe this. I have no idea how I caught my large coffee one time in sport plus. Didn't spill a drop, but it was luck and reflexes and the nefariousness of that design was apparent.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:21 AM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
The Germans were fat wayyyyy before Americans. Land of sausage and beer. They have never been thought of as a svelte people.
Exactly and it makes you wonder what idiot over there made the correlation between having a drink in your car and being fat?? It's not a cheeseburger you morons its a drink...most likely water, what does drinking water or anything of the sort have to do with being fat?? I have never ever understood that stupid analogy or excuse for putting in such a crappy cup holder.

Quick Reply: Cup holder problem