Sponsored by:

Faster than the speed of light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:21 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
*****... I've got to go through adolescence again!... On the bright side I'll get some hair back and lose a few pounds lol
Unfortunately, while everyone around you may get older or younger, depending on which way you're going, you yourself will continue to age normally. This is the inertial frame of reference aspect of relativity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia...e_of_reference

This inertial frame of reference, everything moving along the same relative to everything else, is what normal people call just plain normal reality. It was only when we started looking at really small stuff (atoms and subatomic particles) and really big faraway stuff (galaxies and quasars) that we started noticing good ol' Newtonian physics wasn't working so well any more.

So trust me when I say, no matter how fast you go, you'll just keep getting older. Unless along your travels you somehow contract Benjamin Button's disease. But that one comes with its own set of problems.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok... So I was smiling ... But now I'm just depressed.... Guess I'll just go and work on the G.U.T to while away the years...
Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Relax. You don't want to be pushing c* anyway. Actual driving beats "lay in a course for that autocross Mr Sulu" any day.

*c, celeritus, the speed of light. As in Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Relax. You don't want to be pushing c* anyway. Actual driving beats "lay in a course for that autocross Mr Sulu" any day.

*c, celeritus, the speed of light. As in Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared.
What sort of mpg will we see at relativistic speeds anyway?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to chime in but I would be concerned about the warranty expiring before I could use the car.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:58 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your time zone settings, it might be setup for different zone
Old 12-19-2014, 01:08 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
What sort of mpg will we see at relativistic speeds anyway?
Oh, believe me, you do not even want to go there!

Here's why (no link- I tried googling, all I got was stuff so dense it made my eyes glaze over- and I already understand this stuff!):

The faster you go the greater your mass. The way it works nothing much happens even at speeds much greater than our fastest spacecraft have ever attained. At the speed of the Voyager spacecraft (38,610 mph) its mass is increased by about the equivalent of an atom of oxygen. Or nitrogen, if you're into the whole tire inflation thing. But somewhere around 0.1c (10% of the speed of light) it starts to become significant, and from there rises increasingly fast, becoming infinite at the speed of light.

So, even if by some divine act the EPA were abolished tomorrow leaving Porsche and everyone else free to pursue infinitely high power at infinitely low mpg, they still won't be able to find enough gas in the whole freaking cosmos to reach light speed.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Oh, believe me, you do not even want to go there!

Here's why (no link- I tried googling, all I got was stuff so dense it made my eyes glaze over- and I already understand this stuff!):

The faster you go the greater your mass. The way it works nothing much happens even at speeds much greater than our fastest spacecraft have ever attained. At the speed of the Voyager spacecraft (38,610 mph) its mass is increased by about the equivalent of an atom of oxygen. Or nitrogen, if you're into the whole tire inflation thing. But somewhere around 0.1c (10% of the speed of light) it starts to become significant, and from there rises increasingly fast, becoming infinite at the speed of light.

So, even if by some divine act the EPA were abolished tomorrow leaving Porsche and everyone else free to pursue infinitely high power at infinitely low mpg, they still won't be able to find enough gas in the whole freaking cosmos to reach light speed.
so you are saying that a lightspeed capable 911 will have to discard the iconic N.A flat 6 in favor of a two nacelle warp drive with dilithium crystal equiped warp core?

Will it have a manual or a PDK?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way... I'm in
Old 12-19-2014, 11:13 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
so you are saying that a lightspeed capable 911 will have to discard the iconic N.A flat 6 in favor of a two nacelle warp drive with dilithium crystal equiped warp core?

Will it have a manual or a PDK?
Neither. But they do make one with a soft top.

Quick Reply: Faster than the speed of light?