Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Assuming you still want one, Costco has them on sale until the end of the year:
http://www.costco.com/.product.10004...l%7CPurchaseCP
Old 12-19-2014, 09:48 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

This may be a better link for the Costco product...

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?...rd=cr+spotless

I bought this one and found it much better than the one showed in the OP's video. To Judge whether a de-ionizer will help with spots left by hard water, get one of these....

HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range, 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 3% Readout Accuracy - Moisture Meters - Amazon.com HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range, 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 3% Readout Accuracy - Moisture Meters - Amazon.com

In fact, if you buy the CR Spotless unit, get the water tester as well b/c in my experience, the fist thing to go on the de-ionizer is the hardness meter, and you need that to tell when it's time to replace the resin.

Spyder
Old 12-22-2014, 01:17 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scatkins
You can reduce the resin cost by going with one of the other suppliers (cuts the cost of resin by about 50% from what CR charges you).
Can you give us a linkie? I've found some that are cheaper, but not 50% !!

Originally Posted by chuck911
All you can do is figure out first, if you even have a water problem, then determine exactly what it is, then learn about filtration and treatment options, and then and only then will you be able to determine what if anything you should do about it.
+1

Originally Posted by scatkins
Note typically most experienced users try to minimize the water usage as you burn out your resin very quickly if you aren't careful (generally the canisters are rated for 100 to 200 gals of usage). So often you only do your final rinse with the DI water and some use low settings on a pressure washer to minimize.
I found that after 15 quick rinses, my resin is about half gone, but it's losing effectiveness. I suspect that I need to dial-back the volume of water to let the DI do its thing.

Because see, if there's no water, there's no need for deionizers, blowers, or towels. More saved time and effort and money and wear.
True that.

Sadly there are NO videos ANYWHERE demonstrating correct sheet rinse technique
We should find someone to teach Chuck how to operate a camera, so that he can create a video for us...

There are lots of videos out there. Surely someone, once, got it right?

(No, I'm not going to go look for it either )

Gosh, what was the OP's OQ? oh, yeah...

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Has anyone tried a de-ionizing filter
Yes.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
We should find someone to teach Chuck how to operate a camera, so that he can create a video for us...

There are lots of videos out there. Surely someone, once, got it right?

(No, I'm not going to go look for it either )
Yes there are lots of videos. Well, several any way. I was kind of surprised that none of them were any good. Every single one there was splashing all over the place leaving tons of water on the car. Knowing what it should look like I kept looking.... looking.... but unless someone's uploaded in the last few months there's nothing.

The problem with this falls into the same category as other stuff I've mentioned, the emphasis on equipment and steps vs skills. Like this water thing. Yes for certain spotting is real, can even be nightmarishly real, and can be eliminated with filtration. Like I discovered in California. But soon as I realized this, simple change in technique, no more spotting. Even with truly awful water I was able to eliminate any more spotting simply by paying attention and modifying my technique.

Thinking of getting the new GoPro4 so maybe will be able to show you what I mean. Until then: directions are clearly posted!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

I agree with chuck911 that technique is key. However, water quality is important and becomes a hindrance when TDS (total dissolved solids) creeps up in the high 200s PPM.

Water softeners are not the solution, IMHO, as they do NOT reduce water TDS at all. They perform an ionic exchange where the emerging dissolved solids have a different chemical makeup with sodium (Na) in the mix, which is slicker, i.e., sticks less to smooth surfaces, thus with good technique they help, but those solids are still there and still create spots, although less of them. Note also that when using Na-softened water one is actually washing a car with metal-corroding salty water; small amounts but salt is there.

However, for really high TDS water a good deionizer is a big plus. As chuck911 said there are many ways to use them, I use mine feeding a standard low-pressure 1500PSI electric pressure washer. And I use de-ionized water throughout - initial rinse and final rinse - and use very little water (a fraction of the water used by an open hose). I check the output of my deionizer periodically, and its TDS output is 0 (or very low) after dozens of washes using this approach.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes there are lots of videos. Well, several any way. I was kind of surprised that none of them were any good. Every single one there was splashing all over the place leaving tons of water on the car. Knowing what it should look like I kept looking.... looking.... but unless someone's uploaded in the last few months there's nothing.

The problem with this falls into the same category as other stuff I've mentioned, the emphasis on equipment and steps vs skills. Like this water thing. Yes for certain spotting is real, can even be nightmarishly real, and can be eliminated with filtration. Like I discovered in California. But soon as I realized this, simple change in technique, no more spotting. Even with truly awful water I was able to eliminate any more spotting simply by paying attention and modifying my technique.

Thinking of getting the new GoPro4 so maybe will be able to show you what I mean. Until then: directions are clearly posted!
If/when you make a video please be sure to send me a link. I agree with you 100% that the tenancy now is replace basic skills with a gadget for everything. I recognize this problem, but as you said there isn't much information for someone like me that's trying to learn. I was hoping that the video I posted would give me some good tips, but from the comments it looks like he made a lot of mistakes.

Quick Reply: De-ionizing filter