Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So is GTS looking to be possibly the last purist 911?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Your response reminds me: I believe Chris Harris, in his 991 GT3 review, said that for every purist who refused to buy a 991 GT3 because it lacked manual, there would be five new buyers because of what the GT3 has become (or something to this effect). PDK-S is very good and a bit friendlier for folks who want a GT3 as a daily driver, so I'm sure this move on Porsche's part made many potential buyers happy.
Great point and reference.

You can tell reading posts from new GT3 owners that it seems like a broader range of buyer.

The appeal is definitely reaching a wider audience and reflecting sales. This will also translate into a decent second hand market as well I believe. There seems to be quite a few guys that get board with cars every 6 months or so.

A lot of guys coming over from other brands too that tend to go back and forth as well.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:59 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuck911
There's a few guys showing they have a decent perspective on things, but a lot more would do well to comb through some old back issues of R&T, etc. Do that and I guarantee you'll be shocked to see almost the exact same things being said about the 911 twenty, thirty years ago. Seriously. The sport/GT question is as old as the car itself! As for the 'purist' question, whatever that means. There's definitely those who've made a fetish, or religion if you prefer, of the clutch pedal. For them I guess as long as there's a clutch they will cling to the 'purist' pose. For everyone else its been a long, slow slog. If 'purist' means driver only no corrective systems, well Porsche introduced ABS (and power steering) on the 964 so the last purist 911 was the Carrera. But hey, what about fuel injection? Surely 'purist' means carburetors? Or does someone want to defend DFI as being more 'purist' than Weber? I don't think so. So then the last 'purist' 911 was whatever year they made the last 911T. Which somebody can look up but off hand I'd say takes us back to the 60's. Last I looked, we're just shy of 2015. Awful late to be talking about the last 'purist' 911. But there you go….
Well said Chuckster!! The "purist" label keeps changing depending on age or how long ones point of reference is...

The horse and carriage driver might see himself as the last purist too before these gas powered machines took over..
Old 12-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,237 Posts

There is a strong probability that it could be the last NA & MT 911 though ... if that matters
Old 12-19-2014, 03:08 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

.. .So then the last 'purist' 911 was whatever year they made the last 911T. Which somebody can look up but off hand I'd say takes us back to the 60's….
In addition to agreeing with everything in your thoughtful post, I know the answer to the Last Carb point -without looking it up

1973 (early) "Ts" were the last. '73.5 T cars were the first with CIS.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:14 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sportscentury
Yep.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:14 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
There is a strong probability that it could be the last NA & MT 911 though ... if that matters
Very sad but true.

To the masses and future buyers coming aboard, it's a non issue unfortunately (look at the comments already from current owners). Oh well!

The market will choose the winners and losers in the long run.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:20 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Does purist = analog ?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:46 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Great point and reference.

You can tell reading posts from new GT3 owners that it seems like a broader range of buyer.

The appeal is definitely reaching a wider audience and reflecting sales. This will also translate into a decent second hand market as well I believe. There seems to be quite a few guys that get board with cars every 6 months or so.

A lot of guys coming over from other brands too that tend to go back and forth as well.
Porsche has already broadened the brand with the panemera, Cayenne, and Macan. The Cayenne is their top selling vehicle, so maybe they should stop making anything resembling "purist" sports cars and go mainstream with more SUVs and vans. For every person who don't buy the sports car they can pickup 5 soccer moms
Old 12-19-2014, 04:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Porsche has already broadened the brand with the panemera, Cayenne, and Macan. The Cayenne is their top selling vehicle, so maybe they should stop making anything resembling "purist" sports cars and go mainstream with more SUVs and vans. For every person who don't buy the sports car they can pickup 5 soccer moms
Why are you quoting me? I was talking about GT3's.

Stop making sports cars? You've lost me here.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:32 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Why are you quoting me? I was talking about GT3's.

Stop making sports cars? You've lost me here.
I'm quoting you because you're saying the definition of purist changes and you seem to say that "purist" means how many sales they can get of a vehicle, since they can sell more automatics than manuals with the GT3. So what if it offends those old fashioned people who enjoyed driving the GT3 in 2011. Apparently getting as broad a range of buyer as possible is more important than making a car that's actually enjoyable for people who like sports cars. So maybe the next GT3 can be the Cayenne that comes with spongebob built into the backseat screens and a dog carrier. If there's a broader market it must be the best car
Old 12-19-2014, 05:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I'm quoting you because you're saying the definition of purist changes and you seem to say that "purist" means how many sales they can get of a vehicle, since they can sell more automatics than manuals with the GT3. So what if it offends those old fashioned people who enjoyed driving the GT3 in 2011. Apparently getting as broad a range of buyer as possible is more important than making a car that's actually enjoyable for people who like sports cars. So maybe the next GT3 can be the Cayenne that comes with spongebob built into the backseat screens and a dog carrier. If there's a broader market it must be the best car
Stop saying that you know what I'm taking about because you don't. You are misquoting and misunderstanding everything I've written.

I still can't follow your logic. I'd rather not have to clog up the boards with having to respond to this.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:36 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a few guys showing they have a decent perspective on things, but a lot more would do well to comb through some old back issues of R&T, etc. Do that and I guarantee you'll be shocked to see almost the exact same things being said about the 911 twenty, thirty years ago. Seriously. The sport/GT question is as old as the car itself!

As for the 'purist' question, whatever that means. There's definitely those who've made a fetish, or religion if you prefer, of the clutch pedal. For them I guess as long as there's a clutch they will cling to the 'purist' pose. For everyone else its been a long, slow slog.

If 'purist' means driver only no corrective systems, well Porsche introduced ABS (and power steering) on the 964 so the last purist 911 was the Carrera. But hey, what about fuel injection? Surely 'purist' means carburetors? Or does someone want to defend DFI as being more 'purist' than Weber? I don't think so.

So then the last 'purist' 911 was whatever year they made the last 911T. Which somebody can look up but off hand I'd say takes us back to the 60's.

Last I looked, we're just shy of 2015. Awful late to be talking about the last 'purist' 911. But there you go….

+1.

I like Chuck's perspective.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:06 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by coxswain
+1.

I like Chuck's perspective.
So I'm new to Porsche as of 4/14 with a Boxster S. I'm about to say goodbye to the Boxster in exchange for a 2012.5 991s cab. So I don't have the chops to define what "purist" means in 911 context, but so many of these comments could easily be put into a "luddited" context. What's "pure" - the car or the driving experience? Isn't the whole idea of buying a car like a Porsche actually investing in our individual and shared experiences?

Maybe by losing the Boxster I'll be "forced" to learn better driving in the 991 which will then better equip me to drive a 997/996, then a 993, and so forth and I'll feel the exhilaration of mastering new skills. But I don't see how, within realistic limits, what I'm driving should detract from the joy of driving. If engineering progress means I can shift the focus from driving the car to driving the road then I'm all in.

Sorry - newbie semi-rant "off"

gordon
Old 12-19-2014, 07:21 PM
the2thdr
Instructor

The turbo kills the soul and sound of the engine..

What next? BMW style artificial engine/exhaust sound track pumping through the sound system?
Completely agree. After an e46 and e92 M3, the switch to turbos killed it for me. It is interesting in this debate is that it's context can be viewed in comparing the 991 to other Porsche's, as well as to other brands' sports cars. In terms of the latter, to me at least, there is no question as to what the 991 offers. As someone new to the 911, I can't honestly contribute or compare. I do, however, think that Chuck provides the most succinct opinion on it below.

There's a few guys showing they have a decent perspective on things, but a lot more would do well to comb through some old back issues of R&T, etc. Do that and I guarantee you'll be shocked to see almost the exact same things being said about the 911 twenty, thirty years ago. Seriously. The sport/GT question is as old as the car itself!

As for the 'purist' question, whatever that means. There's definitely those who've made a fetish, or religion if you prefer, of the clutch pedal. For them I guess as long as there's a clutch they will cling to the 'purist' pose. For everyone else its been a long, slow slog.

If 'purist' means driver only no corrective systems, well Porsche introduced ABS (and power steering) on the 964 so the last purist 911 was the Carrera. But hey, what about fuel injection? Surely 'purist' means carburetors? Or does someone want to defend DFI as being more 'purist' than Weber? I don't think so.

So then the last 'purist' 911 was whatever year they made the last 911T. Which somebody can look up but off hand I'd say takes us back to the 60's.

Last I looked, we're just shy of 2015. Awful late to be talking about the last 'purist' 911. But there you go….
Old 12-19-2014, 10:08 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think you are in denial...
(fingers in ears) la, la, la, I can't hear you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So is GTS looking to be possibly the last purist 911?