Sponsored by:

Dynamic Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:18 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dynamic Engine Mounts

Porsche materials state that Dynamic Engine Mounts as part of the Sport Chrono Package "provide a greater level of comfort whenever a less assertive driving style is adopted" because it "minimizes the oscillations and vibrations of the entire drivetrain especially the engine." Smoother ride when just driving around which is what I will be doing (no track time).

Your input as to this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Rex
Old 12-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
Porsche materials state that Dynamic Engine Mounts as part of the Sport Chrono Package "provide a greater level of comfort whenever a less assertive driving style is adopted" because it "minimizes the oscillations and vibrations of the entire drivetrain especially the engine." Smoother ride when just driving around which is what I will be doing (no track time).

Thanks.
Rex
I think its a *crime* not to spec Sport Chrono on a 911 tracked or otherwise, it adds additional functionality that allows you to adjust the performance of the car that you will not get if you do not spec it (Sport, Sport+).

I would also encourage you to spec Porsche Sport Exhaust in combination.

You will only notice the lack of PADM/PDEM when you corner in a car equipped with the technology.

You wont notice its presence otherwise, but a PADM/PDEM car will be noticeably more confident in the corners... and will transmit less vibration from the drivetrain while straight-line driving.

All of the 997.2 GT3 owners with early cars which did not have PDEM all pretty much try to retrofit it or bitch that they dont have it.

My $0.02 YMMV...

p.s
While I am not a fan of PDCC, you might want to think about it for a more compliant 'striaght-line' drive...
Old 12-17-2014, 02:13 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. I will take your advice.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I will take your advice.
at least test drive cars equipped (or not) with the options to compare...
Old 12-17-2014, 02:21 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 88 Posts

I have it on my 991 C2. Honestly it's all about feel, to my mind you can really tell the whole package is doing "stuff" when it's on. It will turn a daily driver (all be it a nice daily driver), into a race car at the touch of a button.

PSE, as Larry says, is a total must!

Tom.

Last edited by findtom; 12-17-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by findtom
I have it on my 991 C2. Honestly it's all about feel, to my mind you can really tell the whole package is doing "stuff" when it's on. It will turn a daily driver (all be it a nice daily driver), into a race car at the touch of a button.

PSE, as Larry says it a total must!

Tom.
+1 ...
Old 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think its a *crime* not to spec Sport Chrono on a 911 tracked or otherwise, it adds additional functionality that allows you to adjust the performance of the car that you will not get if you do not spec it (Sport, Sport+).

I would also encourage you to spec Porsche Sport Exhaust in combination.
Many fewer advantages to the SC on a manual transmission car. IMHO, not worth the money.

Nor is PSE. Yes, I know, I'm a rebel.

It will turn a daily driver (all be it a nice daily driver), into a race car at the touch of a button.
But if the OP has no desire to track or be a poseur, then why bother?

When I was spec'ng my 911 S, I asked my salesman about the PDEM and he said that it wasn't worth it. This is from a guy who works on commission! And a guy who drives these things all day long, different versions and configurations.

It's great marketing by Porsche, and it is cool technology that I'm sure gives you numerous tenths on the racetrack.

Spend the money on full leather instead.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (04-16-2021)
Old 12-17-2014, 03:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Many fewer advantages to the SC on a manual transmission car. IMHO, not worth the money.
Disagree, Bird. The rev matching alone is worth the price of admission.

Of all my many options, probably my Top 5 (saw the movie last night) are:

PSE
Sport Chrono
Full Leather
PowerKit
Vented Seats
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (04-16-2021)
Old 12-17-2014, 05:29 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993

Nor is PSE. Yes, I know, I'm a rebel.

But if the OP has no desire to track or be a poseur, then why bother?

When I was spec'ng my 911 S, I asked my salesman about the PDEM and he said that it wasn't worth it. This is from a guy who works on commission! And a guy who drives these things all day long, different versions and configurations.

It's great marketing by Porsche, and it is cool technology that I'm sure gives you numerous tenths on the racetrack.

Spend the money on full leather instead.
Well, you are entitled to your option and while I see your point I still stand by mine.

I also think your track or poseur quote is a tiny bit narrow minded...
Old 12-17-2014, 05:43 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks.
Rex
Specific to your question…

Normal motor mounts always allow the engine/transmission to twist and shift under load. Imagine a keg of beer in the back seat. When you go into a turn everythings fine at first but the keg starts rolling until it hits something and stops at which point it rocks the car. Also if you stab the throttle real quick the first thing that happens is the engine/transmission twists in the mounts. Real power only gets transmitted to the wheels after this twisting slack has been absorbed. This is exactly what happens with normal motor mounts only since it happens all the time everyone's used to it.

This is why race cars like the Cup have in the past bolted the engine right to the frame. But now with Dynamic mounts we can have the best of both worlds.

The first time I drove a 911 with these the benefit was obvious. In 2nd gear we stabbed throttle to the floor and the acceleration was visceral and instantaneous. Felt just like a Cup car. But when tooling around it felt just like a normal 911.

The improved lateral control is harder to notice and depending on your sensitivity you may not notice it at all in normal or even quite aggressive street driving. On the track however I would think just about anyone would get it.

The problem is its one of those things like PDCC you can't really compare without changing cars. Porsche is far better than anyone else at delivering technological improvements unobtrusively. So even though this is another great improvement, its also one you would not be likely to really appreciate until after spending some time getting used to it, and then driving a car without it. At which point you will be glad you got it.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Well, you are entitled to your option and while I see your point I still stand by mine.

I also think your track or poseur quote is a tiny bit narrow minded...
+1
Old 12-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Specific to your question…

Normal motor mounts always allow the engine/transmission to twist and shift under load. Imagine a keg of beer in the back seat. When you go into a turn everythings fine at first but the keg starts rolling until it hits something and stops at which point it rocks the car. Also if you stab the throttle real quick the first thing that happens is the engine/transmission twists in the mounts. Real power only gets transmitted to the wheels after this twisting slack has been absorbed. This is exactly what happens with normal motor mounts only since it happens all the time everyone's used to it.

This is why race cars like the Cup have in the past bolted the engine right to the frame. But now with Dynamic mounts we can have the best of both worlds.

The first time I drove a 911 with these the benefit was obvious. In 2nd gear we stabbed throttle to the floor and the acceleration was visceral and instantaneous. Felt just like a Cup car. But when tooling around it felt just like a normal 911.

The improved lateral control is harder to notice and depending on your sensitivity you may not notice it at all in normal or even quite aggressive street driving. On the track however I would think just about anyone would get it.

The problem is its one of those things like PDCC you can't really compare without changing cars. Porsche is far better than anyone else at delivering technological improvements unobtrusively. So even though this is another great improvement, its also one you would not be likely to really appreciate until after spending some time getting used to it, and then driving a car without it. At which point you will be glad you got it.
well said
Old 12-17-2014, 08:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah and I'm with you Larry its a crime not to spec SC on a 911. Although truly, its a crime its not standard.

One of the things we lost going from carbs to electronic control was that visceral immediacy of throttle control. Especially considering how much better DFI is than even the most excellently tuned carb setup we should by all rights today be getting razor sharp hold on for dear life throttle response. Based on reliable reports from some of my tuner friends driving muscle cars that's the way it is.

But Porsche in their infinite wisdom has decided the way to market their cars is to detune via electronically damped down throttle response everything but their flagship GT cars- and of course their race cars. Everyone else gets the Camry throttle response. Unless they hit Sport, in which case its a bit better. But they make us pay for SC to get Sport Plus, which even that isn't the Full Monty! Even in Sport Plus they're holding back. Because, see, they want to sell you a GT3 which is a lot easier to do when everything else is throttled down. Then even with the GT3 you have to push buttons to get what you paid for.:bang head:
Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Yeah and I'm with you Larry its a crime not to spec SC on a 911. Although truly, its a crime its not standard.
+1

One of the things we lost going from carbs to electronic control was that visceral immediacy of throttle control. Especially considering how much better DFI is than even the most excellently tuned carb setup we should by all rights today be getting razor sharp hold on for dear life throttle response. Based on reliable reports from some of my tuner friends driving muscle cars that's the way it is.

But Porsche in their infinite wisdom has decided the way to market their cars is to detune via electronically damped down throttle response everything but their flagship GT cars- and of course their race cars. Everyone else gets the Camry throttle response. Unless they hit Sport, in which case its a bit better. But they make us pay for SC to get Sport Plus, which even that isn't the Full Monty! Even in Sport Plus they're holding back. Because, see, they want to sell you a GT3 which is a lot easier to do when everything else is throttled down. Then even with the GT3 you have to push buttons to get what you paid for.:bang head:
Conspiracy theory! I love it ... that's why I really loved the 996 GT3s so much ... there was so little (relatively) electronics in the way ... that's why I am an adherent to Walter Rohl's statement about his 964 RS vs. 991 GT3 ... when
he goes fast in the RS its because he is making it go fast... he's not so sure
in the 991 ...
Old 12-17-2014, 10:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Dynamic engine mounts, much like PDCC, is only something you miss when you realize it exists.

And because you now obviously do realize that dynamic engine mounts (as well as PDCC) is extant, you will forever wonder "what if" should you spec your car without either of these features.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Engine Mounts