Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't Porsche use run-flat tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Because we're lucky? I'm shocked to hear of a performance car buyer who wants run flats.

Maybe you can swap them in. Sounds like there are many available with <50 miles on 'em.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm glad they don't use run flats.

I had them on my Mini and changed those out last year. The road noise was unbearable! I just got some slime, tire plug kit, and a compressor.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:11 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

How about
Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Bishop200
Amazing, someone who actually likes run-flats. I was just in a tire shop getting Michelin AS/3s on my 128i and the guy was telling me how on the 3 series with 19" wheels, the rear wheels would crack because the run-flats transmit too much vibration to the wheel. I couldn't wait to get the original run-flats off my BMW. They are more expensive to replace and most places won't patch them. They are also a bear to get off the rims when you replace them. I for one am very happy that Porsche don't use them.
+1
Old 12-15-2014, 01:48 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run flats are exponentially heavier thus more unsprung weight, thus poorer handling.
Had them on 3 BMW 650's and they were awful. Even all season Pirelli's handled better on one of them.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:32 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had 5 modern MINI's and yes the first thing the cognoscenti do is ditch them for summer performance tires. Compared to RF's that come on them and what else is available, regular summer tires always ride and handle better. Bonus is in the small MINI tire sizes, the premium brands are pretty cheap too.
I've often wondered though about the purpose built OEM spec performance tires on the Corvette (and a couple other cars.) Obviously they're getting big numbers from them on the skidpad, what makes them different than the plebeian ones stuck on Bimmers, etc that make everyone miserable?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a set of run-flats sitting in the corner of my garage that will go back on the day before I have to return my BMW 535. And not a day before.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:08 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I was just reading a glowing C and D article on the new Z06. Both the souped up Z07 and the regular use run flat versions of Michelin, PSC2 and PSS respectively. I had a couple of vettes before my Porsche and with the run flats the ride wasn't that bad. If Porsche used run flats I would think it would make the center lock wheels less of a concern to someone like me.
Jim
Good point. If only Porsche were in the business of building cars for corvette lovers seeking a ride that "wasn't that bad".
Old 12-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Good point. If only Porsche were in the business of building cars for corvette lovers seeking a ride that "wasn't that bad".
Chuck is once again trying to teach 'Tough Love'.

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I've often wondered though about the purpose built OEM spec performance tires on the Corvette (and a couple other cars.) Obviously they're getting big numbers from them on the skidpad, what makes them different than the plebeian ones stuck on Bimmers, etc that make everyone miserable?
John: Perhaps your typical Corvette owner (like Anglyne here) doesn't care or know the difference...she expects all of those plastic trim pieces to fall off anyway, whether from the rough ride of the run-flats or the cheap 'Crazy Glue' used at Bowling Green that often turns brittle before the car leaves Kentucky!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2014, 10:46 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Chuck is once again trying to teach 'Tough Love'.

John: Perhaps your typical Corvette owner (like Anglyne here) doesn't care or know the difference...she expects all of those plastic trim pieces to fall off anyway, whether from the rough ride of the run-flats or the cheap 'Crazy Glue' used at Bowling Green that often turns brittle before the car leaves Kentucky!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Its a struggle. I was going to suggest it might help to learn a little more about the marque. There's this one magazine I was going to recommend, its all about Porsche, they really get the Porsche philosophy. But I just can't think of it. "Good Enough"? "That'll Do"? "Not All That Bad, Really"? Something like that. Man this is really bugging me now...
Old 12-15-2014, 11:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Its a struggle. I was going to suggest it might help to learn a little more about the marque. There's this one magazine I was going to recommend, its all about Porsche, they really get the Porsche philosophy. But I just can't think of it. "Good Enough"? "That'll Do"? "Not All That Bad, Really"? Something like that. Man this is really bugging me now...
Let me help you out. It came from the title of this book by Karl Ludvigsen, which was 'good enough' by the way. The magazine in question first tried the name 'Porsche' for its first cover...but the Porsche lawyers put an end to that very quickly! So they settled for 'Expected'. Or something like that. It starts with an 'E', I know that! But just can't remember right now the exact name.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had several BMWs with RFs. Terrible tires. That said however my 5 series DD has a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx GT RFs that are quite acceptable. Don't know if it's the interaction of the M sport package and tire or just the tire. When I picked up the car I was ready to ditch them and on the way to the house found them a lot better than earlier RFs and just kept them on. So far no regrets.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:46 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW have just given up building decent cars in recent years - I think run flats are a marketing bullet point for them, not something the suspension and car were designed for. I see many owners who hate them.

I thought the run flats on the GTR were awesome - a lot more tire noise than a 991, but I would say less than a 997. The GTR was designed from the start for the stiff sidewalls of the run flats and the suspension was tuned for the weight and resistance to roll.

Yes, if Porsche designed a car for run flats from the start, I think they could do an excellent job. The GTR had no problems out cornering Porsches, it just had a better designed and setup suspension and tires - even though it was carrying ~500lb extra weight. The downside was the -$100 a tire extra cost come replacement time - but for piece of mind, wet weather and dry weather performance, I had no complaints...
Old 12-16-2014, 01:49 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Ohhhh. You guys are ruthless Chuck! No I would not trade my 911 back for a faster Corvette but I still think it would be interesting to see how different the run flat versions are of the Michelin PSS and PSC that we all seem to enjoy otherwise. I don't recall reading any reviews of the new generation Corvette stating how much better it would be w regular tires.
Jim
Old 12-16-2014, 02:48 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Perhaps your typical Corvette owner (like Anglyne here) doesn't care or know the difference..
Saludos,
Eduardoh
Carmel

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Porsche use run-flat tires?