Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4S vs R8.....anyone here cross-shop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:50 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4S vs R8.....anyone here cross-shop?

I just drove a friends new R8-V10 / MT ............ and WOW what a machine, this thing is a friggin' blast!
Now it was just a 15 minute cruise around the countryside but it sure got me thinking did I not give enough consideration to the other V-dub"? So I "Built" one on the Audi site and was impressed.

At just over $150k for the V10 the equitable comparison is the V8 to the C4S (w / Powerkit hp wise) (Alhough I have seen some C4S's approaching the 150 mark, largely they are a product of box checking gone insanely mad)
So an A to A build spec will probably show the Audi to be a better value initially, possibly 10 and as much as 20% if the PK is chosen. Audi's high depreciation rate may swing the needle towards the Porsche in the long run. Lease....toss-up.

The M3 gets compared to the 911 quite a bit, why not the R8? Except for seating it seems a logical option...............

Best, Bret.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:19 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I considered a V8 R8 a couple years back, but it is a VERY single purpose car, where any 911 can be quite versatile. R8's actually seem to have above average resale and are considered pretty trouble free, but no way I could live with one except as a garage toy.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:44 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I was kicking around the same comparison at the beginning of the year. I tried to put them head to head back in February but no Audi dealer in the state or surrounding states within a few hours drive had one so the only comparisons I had to go by was all the videos I dug up on the net. Every video had both cars pretty much dead even. The R8 I wanted was a pretty loaded out V8 version so it was right around 127K according to the audi.com web site.

Then it happened.... I walked into my local Porsche dealer and was introduced to the brand with one heck of a test drive. Ended up driving out with a 13 911 w/2700 miles, Loaded to the max w/PDK plus CPO'ed for a heck of a discount from what the sticker was and now extremely happy.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

The R8 wasn't practical enough for me. I use my C4S everyday and it has a lot more space for everyday things like groceries or luggage. Also, if the R8 still has 235/35's on the front wheels then that is a deal killer for me. In the city that translates to 2-3 visits to the dealership to replace tires every year for me. I've been surprised that the 245/35's on the C4S do as well as they do...they take a beating.

Hopefully I'm remembering the tire sizes correctly.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:29 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I drove an R8 V10 Plus right before I ordered my last C4S. Great car but I couldn't come close to justifying the 65k price difference, especially given that I found the C4S handled better.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:21 PM
the2thdr
Instructor

I have a R8 V10/MT and have a 2015 C4GTS on order for end of April. I would agree with what many have said above...the R8 is more of a single purpose vehicle. Insane sounds, acceleration, and wow factor. I will say that it is definitely challenging to take it out to pick things up and the obvious 1 passenger only limitation can require some planning.

Having said that, the C4S is amazing in being able to I think offer 90% or more of what the R8 offers. I only say that because I have a Larini exhaust on my R8. In terms of handling, braking performance, cargo capacity, passenger capacity and PCM (Audi's MMI blows), the C4S is a winner. I am going to turn my 911 into a daily driver and keep the R8 as my fun in the sun vehicle.

Either way, you are a winner with whichever one you choose.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Cars are only new once. Then they drive off the lot and into history. Lots of them, in fact almost all of them, turn out to be crap or at best flashes in the pan no longer made because, well because the flash just naturally dims over time. One- ONE!- they have been making so well for so long its STILL being made and probably will be for many years to come. My bet is, for a lot longer than they'll be making R8's.

Every time I hear someone comparing whatever to a 911 it reminds me of what Jerry Seinfeld said when the Carrera GT first came out, "its not the new benchmark. Its the new bench."

Every few years Porsche comes out with a new bench they call the 911. They all start comparing their cars to the 911. Might as well compare your foot to a ruler. Longer or shorter, pedicured or painted, its still just your foot. Ain't never gonna be a ruler.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I cross-shopped them extensively. Even went as far as to take an Audi R8 1-day racing class at Sonoma Raceway (V8 model) to get a better feel for the car. In the end choose the Porsche (MY 2013 C2S) for 3 main reasons:

1) The single cutch gearbox on the R8 was fantastic on the track, but rubish for the daily grind. I haven't driven the new dual clutch R8 so suspect that's largely a non-issue now.

2) Practicality of the 911. Easier to life with day-to-day with rear seats and more storage.

3) Lastly (and this is silly).... Everyone stares at the R8 and its not a car you can blend in with by any means. It sticks out from a crowd and everyone notices you. Frankly, unless your car-person no one knows the difference between my 2013 911 and a 2003 911. People just see it as a 911 and appreciate it, but not resent it.

The R8 was a monster on the track. Great steering feel and I think better than the 911. I felt the limits of the car very clearly. For me the 911 doesn't quite communicate to me the same way on the track, but perhaps more track time would help with that.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Pcar991
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This video sums it up fairly well, and this is the base C2 991 vs the V8 R8.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Well said guys!!

Thanks for all your input.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:11 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 88 Posts

I went through the same thought process a year or so ago when I started looking at a new 911. I test drove an R8 V10+ for a few days followed by the C2 991. The R8 was amazing and worth every penny more it costs over my 991 however...... There were two thoughts that put me off the R8 v the 911. One, the R8 was/is due replacement soon and two, the telematics (bluetooth, satnav) are by far the worst I have ever seen on a modern car. It is at least 7 years behind in terms of quality and usability. The screen in-between the rev and speedo is monochrome. Not earth shatteringly important but on a £135k car I expect it all.

As a whole (daily driver) package the 991 came out in front by miles, that and it cost a hell of a lot less!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:14 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 88 Posts

I can't believe how cheap cars are in the US. Your 911's cost less and the R8 V10 was $150k? Wow, here (in the UK) a basic 991 C2 is $120k and an R8 V10 is $204k........

Don't even get me started about fuel costs.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:33 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by findtom
I can't believe how cheap cars are in the US. Your 911's cost less and the R8 V10 was $150k? Wow, here (in the UK) a basic 991 C2 is $120k and an R8 V10 is $204k........

Don't even get me started about fuel costs.
Suprising technology difference considering the Mothership to both manufacturers is VW.
Funny you should mention the price difference. last year a Porsche sales manager told me Porsche will penalize dealerships if a newly purchased vehicle they sell gets "flipped" overseas, knowingly or not.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Cars are only new once. Then they drive off the lot and into history. Lots of them, in fact almost all of them, turn out to be crap or at best flashes in the pan no longer made because, well because the flash just naturally dims over time. One- ONE!- they have been making so well for so long its STILL being made and probably will be for many years to come. My bet is, for a lot longer than they'll be making R8's. Every time I hear someone comparing whatever to a 911 it reminds me of what Jerry Seinfeld said when the Carrera GT first came out, "its not the new benchmark. Its the new bench." Every few years Porsche comes out with a new bench they call the 911. They all start comparing their cars to the 911. Might as well compare your foot to a ruler. Longer or shorter, pedicured or painted, its still just your foot. Ain't never gonna be a ruler.
I nearly posted something like this on the AMG GT thread last week.... But got fed up with the sound of my own voice... But you've drawn me out Chuck

All half decent stylised new cars have a honeymoon period.... With the public and often with the press... Be they audis, jags, mercedes, fords or hyundais.

IMO the honeymoon really needs to pass and full 'depreciation' set in to make true measure and comparison... Too early for the AMG GT and glammed-up BMW i8 but not for the R8 and certainly not for the 911! As Chuck articulates... many of the instant-hit 'wow-cars' don't stand the test of time and often disappear from the manufacturers line-ups within 1 generation.... but the R8 has lasted nearly 10 years and still turns heads. It stands up to it's peers on both looks and ride with just a little makeover along the way...

So I sincerely praise Audi for getting such a good product to market first time. I honestly considered the R8 a couple of years ago and went to test drive... But what really turned me off was seeing the first Gen models in the forecourt... They looked dated and plain compared to the newer models... (Which look stunning)...

So why the 991... Well I still turn my head at 993's, 997's and 991's in equal measure.... The heritage is as beautiful as the present... The 911 design and outline mechanical topology is fully depreciated now and celebrating its golden wedding anniversary yet it's still beautiful.... It doesn't shout 'look at me' or over-do the make-up... Those who get it... Well... Get it... Those who don't just don't see it... And that's where my comfort zone resides.... I love it & if you do too that's great... If not, that's fine & I won't be offended!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

The R8 is a great car....but not practical at all*. If you can afford it, have one..and a 911 too! But the worse thing about having just a R8, or an Aston Martin, an M3 or a Mercedes AMG-gt instead of a 911 is that you don't have a forum like Rennlist, or enthusiast groups like PCA, POC, R Gruppe, Early 911 Registry, etc, to fully participate at that level in your hobby. And the camaraderie that you get with these groups, whether at Cars & Coffee, autocross, track, drives or in cyberspace, fully complements & 'completes' your enjoyment of the sport car you choose to own. That is one of the principal reasons for always having a Porsche in your 'fleet'. It exposes you to the other P-owners and their elevated level of commitment, involvement & knowledge in the automobile hobby! Don't ever underestimate this important factor in car ownership...and why Audi, MB and BMW will never equate the Porsche 'total experience'. My dos centavos...for what it's worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*If it wasn't for the Bespoke leather fitted luggage I bought from a fellow Rennlister (ex-R8 owner), I couldn't even have enough for a two day weekend trip with the wife. Even with this beautiful luggage set, forget about a winter jacket or sport coat...unless you are wearing it, especially in a Spyder!

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: C4S vs R8.....anyone here cross-shop?