Sponsored by:

What a revelation...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 03:04 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What a revelation...

I went out today and test drove a manual 991 Carrera and a manual Cayman GTS.
All I can say is what a revelation....the Cayman blew me away completely.
Even though the Cayman was 10hp down on the 911, it felt faster.
Not only that, but the Cayman was more tossable, more nimble, more agile, and just plain handled better.
The 6 speed in the Cayman seemed to shift better. I love the Alcantara steering wheel and shifter.
I've also test driven the Carrera S on numerous occasions.
The Cayman seemed to fit my body more like a glove, and I felt at one in it.
I had my heart set on a 991, but now I really think the Cayman is the better car for me, as I'd rather have a better handling car and less power.
Sitting on the other shoulder is the little me screaming...."get the Carrera S it's got more power, look at the history of the 911, look at the prestige etc.
Would you rather say "I drive a 911 or I drive a Cayman."
I know a lot of this has to do with my "EGO".
All I can say is if the upcoming Cayman GT4 has an upgrade in power to say 380-400hp and has it's suspension tuned like the GT3, it will definitely be able to out perform the current 911 Carrera S hands down.
This reviewer almost breaks down with joy from driving the Cayman GTS.
If you've never had the pleasure of driving a Cayman S I highly recommend it.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:52 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I prefer the boxster to cayman, oddly. The 911 is more feral and intriguing which makes it more fun, to me,
Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you better get the Cayman. I did the same back to back comparisons and chose the Carrera. There are no losers here, only different choices!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:23 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

You know, Porsches are big boy toys - and you really can't rationalize one, you can only pick out the one that puts the biggest smile on your face, that's what toys are all about. These debates on choice go on FOREVER in every forum you can imagine, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston, Lambo....it never ends.

I've had both platforms. The Cayman/Boxster is ALWAYS considered the 'entry-level' car by the big kids and you got it because you couldn't afford a 911. The 911 is "The Franchise" and always will be. You don't see Porsche campaigning the Cayman/Boxsters aggressively in Motorsports because they WANT you to buy a 991, they make more money on it.

There have always been 'entry-level' Porsches since the 914 came into the fold. After that car, it was the 924 and the 944/968 platforms. You don't see them commanding collectible prices in the aftermarket or lovingly restored (an exception might be the 914-6, but that has very limited appeal). A 1997 993S in Class 1 condition is worth $ 80,000 now, a Boxster S in the same condition, 10 % of that.

If you're trying to buy a car by the numbers (performance and capabilities vs price) its pretty hard to beat the new Corvette. Just sayin'.....lol
Old 11-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you should be aware of is that all cayman are build by VW on the same production line as golf I think. The factory in stuttgart only product 911 and a small percentage of boxster.

But that's not to say that there will be quality issues.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I had a similar "revelation" earlier this year.

I was pulled to the 991 C2S as if some force was steering me to it.

I think it was meant to be. It was a personal choice for myself and felt 110% confident about it without needing the acceptance and approval of a forum. A force greater than all of us put me in the car I had wanted since my teenage years.

It's been the best car I have ever owned!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM
Olcha911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

For a period of time I owned my 2007 Cayman S along with my 2012 991 7MT. I had the Cayman for 7 years. In the Cayman S I installed an underdrive pulley, Softronic ECU flash, Fabspeed exhaust, H&R Springs, and Tarrett Bars and camber plates. I also currently have a 964RS Race car and SPEC Boxster Race car and see about 8 track and race weekends per year. I have also had both street cars on the track.

I have installed a Fabspeed exhaust as well as H&R springs on the 991. I sold the Cayman because I really wanted more of a GT car with NAV and other "modern options" for the street, and was driving the 991 much more than the Cayman S. The Cayman is just as quick as the 911 in 2nd and 3rd gear - it is also geared lower, but the 911 is faster and runs to a higher top speed faster, etc. The Cayman handles better, but the 991 is still terrific, just different. If I could only have one Porsche and no race cars and wanted the Porsche experience, it would have to be a Cayman S or GTS knowing what I know now. But my needs were different...and I also have a truck and some other sedans.

But if I never had a Porsche. I might be inclined to have a 911 as my first Porsche.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A spot-on and honest post. The Cayman is the better platform - no doubt. I had two, but in the end I wanted a 911 because of just that - a 911. And there is little doubt that the Cayman GT4 will devour 911's on the track. Having said that, I love my 911, the history, pedigree, and the engine in the wrong place.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
The Cayman seemed to fit my body more like a glove, and I felt at one in it.
I had my heart set on a 991, but now I really think the Cayman is the better car for me, as I'd rather have a better handling car and less power.
There are all kinds of reasons people buy Porsches, but there's only one reason they make them: driving. When other things matter - bragging rights, image, numbers, etc- there are all kinds of choices. When driving matters there is only one. It only makes sense then to choose the Porsche you enjoy driving the most.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Dubloh7
Track Day

Ya know, I too test drove the cayman and fell in love. I eventually chose the Carrera S and have no regrets but the reasons you have given are accurate and substantial. It did fit like a glove and handle better. Good luck with your decision. If I had it to do over IDK!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:42 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went out today and test drove a manual 991 Carrera and a manual Cayman GTS.
You still haven't bought a car yet????
Old 11-25-2014, 04:32 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with the Cayman is that it's not a 911.

The 911 looks incredible. Far better looking car.

And for what it's worth, you can buy a great used 911 cheaper than a new Cayman.

Just saying...

Also...

If you buy a Cayman you'll be telling people you own a Porsche.

If you buy a 911, you'll be telling people you own a 911.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by PsychicDreamer
The problem with the Cayman is that it's not a 911. The 911 looks incredible. Far better looking car. And for what it's worth, you can buy a great used 911 cheaper than a new Cayman. Just saying... Also... If you buy a Cayman you'll be telling people you own a Porsche. If you buy a 911, you'll be telling people you own a 911.
What a revelation! I like this logic. Nice job

Want to own a Porsche? Buy a Cayman.

Want to buy the best sports car out there? Buy a 911.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM
STG
Race Director

I went out today and test drove a manual 991 Carrera and a manual Cayman GTS. All I can say is what a revelation....the Cayman blew me away completely. Even though the Cayman was 10hp down on the 911, it felt faster. Not only that, but the Cayman was more tossable, more nimble, more agile, and just plain handled better. The 6 speed in the Cayman seemed to shift better. I love the Alcantara steering wheel and shifter. I've also test driven the Carrera S on numerous occasions. The Cayman seemed to fit my body more like a glove, and I felt at one in it. I had my heart set on a 991, but now I really think the Cayman is the better car for me, as I'd rather have a better handling car and less power. Sitting on the other shoulder is the little me screaming...."get the Carrera S it's got more power, look at the history of the 911, look at the prestige etc. Would you rather say "I drive a 911 or I drive a Cayman." I know a lot of this has to do with my "EGO". All I can say is if the upcoming Cayman GT4 has an upgrade in power to say 380-400hp and has it's suspension tuned like the GT3, it will definitely be able to out perform the current 911 Carrera S hands down. This reviewer almost breaks down with joy from driving the Cayman GTS. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxXrDIevmlY If you've never had the pleasure of driving a Cayman S I highly recommend it.

Too bad this revelation has been hashed out before only to run around in circles.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4177234
Old 11-25-2014, 05:20 PM
beebalm
Racer

I agree with you 100% PsychicDreamer!
I felt that way with my CaymanS that fit me like a glove..
Now with the awesome 991S, I don't have to say Porsche, I get to say 911
I love my new baby so much!
991 puts a much bigger smile on my face than my Cayman ever did and I loved my Cayman kept her for eight wonderful years!

20 years from now, if I bough a new Cayman, I'd probably still call it a Porsche. But I will call my 20 year old 991 a 911.

BeeBalm

Originally Posted by PsychicDreamer
The problem with the Cayman is that it's not a 911.

The 911 looks incredible. Far better looking car.

And for what it's worth, you can buy a great used 911 cheaper than a new Cayman.

Just saying...

Also...

If you buy a Cayman you'll be telling people you own a Porsche.

If you buy a 911, you'll be telling people you own a 911.

Quick Reply: What a revelation...