beebalm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry double post
Old 11-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've discovered why the sound of the Cayman GTS was so incredibly intoxicating.
"Porsche’s engineers admit that the Jag and its machine-gun exhaust caught their attention, which explains why the GTS-spec Caymans and Boxsters get model-line-exclusive sound symposers as standard equipment. Press the sport-exhaust button on the GTS, and it cranks up the volume on par with the standard F-type exhaust note, although the Jaguar can still go all Spinal Tap when its own sport exhaust is engaged."
http://www.caranddriver.com/porsche/cayman
Porsche will probably put this "sound symposer" in the new Carrera GTS as well, at least we should hope they do.
The sound is amazing.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 PM
robziv
Advanced

This is a great thread as I can feel the torture of going back and forth having just gone through the same emotions myself recently. I got the Boxster last year and it was a blast. I had several track days and from day one couldn't believe how well it stuck to the road. Definitely a lot of fun to drive on the road and track. What got me was being passed by higher horse power cars in the straights after leaving them behind on the curves. I guess I'm more competitive than I would like to admit. That got me looking at horse power. And once I started that I was in trouble. The 991 is just as fun to drive with the amazing ability to take off. I have no regrets making the jump. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post, its your money, and you make the choice.
Post some pics in the 991 forum when you get it.

I do think that whatever differences we have around model preference , we can all agree that aqua blue metallic is the best color, cant wait to see you ABM Cayman.

cheers
Old 11-25-2014, 11:15 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I've discovered why the sound of the Cayman GTS was so incredibly intoxicating.
" which explains why the GTS-spec Caymans and Boxsters get model-line-exclusive sound symposers as standard equipment. ...
Porsche will probably put this "sound symposer" in the new Carrera GTS as well, at least we should hope they do.
The sound is amazing.

"model-line-exclusive" means only the 981 GTS models have the sound symposer.

The 991 cars already have it and this feature trickled down to the Boxsters and Caymans. Why wouldn't a Carrera GTS have it since 991s already have it?

Confused Am I missing something? You are making this sound like this is something new when its at least three years old?

BeeBalm
Old 11-26-2014, 12:55 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

I've now driven both the 991 Carrera S and the Cayman GTS and in comparing the two the induction sound was much more apparent in the Cayman than the Carrera. Using my ears.
Maybe it's louder in the Cayman because the engine is closer to your ears than in the Carrera.

I guess it all boils down to what kind of car we're all looking for.....
Get the Cayman if you want a more pure sports car, or get the 911 if you want more of a grand touring car.
http://www.total911.com/opinion-how-...prove-the-911/
Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I've now driven both the 991 Carrera S and the Cayman GTS and in comparing the two the induction sound was much more apparent in the Cayman than the Carrera. Using my ears. Maybe it's louder in the Cayman because the engine is closer to your ears than in the Carrera. I guess it all boils down to what kind of car we're all looking for..... Get the Cayman if you want a more pure sports car, or get the 911 if you want more of a grand touring car. http://www.total911.com/opinion-how-...prove-the-911/
I think you convinced me. I have found my 911 hard to park because of its size. I don't feel like always carting around two full size adults (6'0 200 lbs.) in the back seat, and friends are always asking me to help them with their IKEA purchases!! Plus, people keep thinking my 911 is a Panamera!! It sucks.

It's a pain having a 911!

Buy a Cayman to test the waters, and when it's time to make an upgrade get the 911. I just didn't want to waste time and money and went straight to the 911.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:15 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche has always known the performance advantage of the mid engine configuration over the rear engine layout, going back to the early-mid fifties when the 550 Spyder became the hot car for racers. But the rear engine layout gave them a better street car package...even if the two little jump seats in the rear are just used for a briefcase or groceries. Mid engine balance makes the car easier to driver and catch mistakes. The 911 is forcing you to be on your A game and be very very alert when you push to 10 10ths. I went back to a manual transmission because I enjoyed the physical challenge of mastering the gear changes...and the entire gestalt of driving a car. But if i was on a track the pdk would be a must. My hope would be that both cars are more than adequate for the level of speed that any of us would drive on public roads.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:37 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Porsche has always known the performance advantage of the mid engine configuration over the rear engine layout, going back to the early-mid fifties when the 550 Spyder became the hot car for racers. But the rear engine layout gave them a better street car package...even if the two little jump seats in the rear are just used for a briefcase or groceries. Mid engine balance makes the car easier to driver and catch mistakes. The 911 is forcing you to be on your A game and be very very alert when you push to 10 10ths. I went back to a manual transmission because I enjoyed the physical challenge of mastering the gear changes...and the entire gestalt of driving a car. But if i was on a track the pdk would be a must. My hope would be that both cars are more than adequate for the level of speed that any of us would drive on public roads.
All true, but the 911 (especially the older shorter-wheelbase) has prodigious traction out of turns, and superior braking balance, all due to the rear-bias layout. The pendulum effect is also fun, but that has essentially vanished on the 991.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:40 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I think you convinced me. I have found my 911 hard to park because of its size. I don't feel like always carting around two full size adults (6'0 200 lbs.) in the back seat, and friends are always asking me to help them with their IKEA purchases!! Plus, people keep thinking my 911 is a Panamera!! It sucks.

It's a pain having a 911!
Lol

Buy a Cayman to test the waters, and when it's time to make an upgrade get the 911. I just didn't want to waste time and money and went straight to the 911.
+1
Old 11-27-2014, 02:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

By that logic just get the 918 and be done with it.

Do the whole "upgrade for life" thing done in one fell swoop.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
By that logic just get the 918 and be done with it. Do the whole "upgrade for life" thing done in one fell swoop.
Not a hybrid fan though. Never have never will. Imagine the fix on the hybrid part when that thing is out of warranty.

Happy with the 911 family. The way things are going, the GT3 may be the only NA engine option in the future. So will go in that direction when turboization takes over.

And for a million dollars, I could put together quite a few nice cars to spice things up on different days of the week. The 918 isn't worth a million dollars. No need to overpay to have a token car.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread has some serious potential. I assume things will pick up after Thanksgiving dinner and more booze. Have we determined yet if 911 drivers have bigger *****? That's a factor too IMHO.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:44 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
There have always been 'entry-level' Porsches since the 914 came into the fold. After that car, it was the 924 and the 944/968 platforms. You don't see them commanding collectible prices in the aftermarket or lovingly restored (an exception might be the 914-6, but that has very limited appeal). A 1997 993S in Class 1 condition is worth $ 80,000 now, a Boxster S in the same condition, 10 % of that.
That's kinda a BS argument. 993's are commanding high prices due to the desire to own the last of the air-cooled 911's. A 198X 911 base can be had for not a lot of money. Boxster Spyder's and Cayman R's however are retaining their value and will probably become a collectors item.

When comparing a base 991 versus a Cayman S/GTS, the Cayman is the superior car. However, I see the base 991 more as a means to own a 911 versus buying the better car. Once you step up to the 991S/4S, the game changes. I really want a 991S/4S or Targa, but I'm not ready to spend the money.

When comparing the 981 Cayman S versus a base 991, the choice was easy. There is nothing wrong with buying a base 991. This history and legacy of the 911 speaks for itself. You don't have to ever justify to anyone why you wanted a 911. But driving a Cayman S/GTS is a revelation to most because they don't expected it to be such an amazing car to drive.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

This is a 991 forum, so most of you 991 owners will obviously be biased because you spent lot of $$$ on your cars. I get that.
But it seems that most of the automobile test reviewers/racers who know how to drive well often say that the Cayman is better balanced and handles better than a 911.
Sure, the 911 has it's history and may have higher resale values, but when we are talking about the cars handling, balance and feel on the street and especially on the racetrack the Cayman is the superior car.
Why can't you 911 owners just accept that fact and move on.
Why are F1 cars which are the fastest, most sophisticated race cars on the planet mid engined and not rear engined.
Because the mid engine layout gives you the best performance, handling and balance.
Randy Pobst is a well known driver and listen to what he says about the previous generation Cayman R, which is not nearly as good as the new one.
Listen at the 2:00min mark
"I just feel like I can do anything with this car."
"The Cayman well may be the best handling car I've ever driven."
Remember, this is coming from a pro driver.
By the way, I think that the 911 is an amazing GT car, probably the best in the world.
Pros
911-more power, history, resale value.
Cayman-handling, balance,
I just have to decide what's more important to me.
I hope the Cayman GT4 comes with a proper manual transmission. It will be one sweet machine.

Quick Reply: What a revelation...