RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts
Default Autocar reviews the GTS

Old 11-22-2014, 02:33 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thnx for posting. Steve Sutcliffe keeps banging on about the GT3 a bit too much, making it a bit of a one dimensional review imho. Lovely to see the thing on these roads in the video.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:32 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VOLTCONTROL
Thnx for posting. Steve Sutcliffe keeps banging on about the GT3 a bit too much, making it a bit of a one dimensional review imho. Lovely to see the thing on these roads in the video.

Huh? Not once does he say the GT3 is too much. Mostly he's saying the GTS isn't close to be being a GT3 light and isn't really that different from a S. What difference he can notice is entirely the X51. Seems like a pretty honest review to me.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:53 AM
motenai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
Huh? Not once does he say the GT3 is too much. Mostly he's saying the GTS isn't close to be being a GT3 light and isn't really that different from a S. What difference he can notice is entirely the X51. Seems like a pretty honest review to me.
What VOLTCONTROL is saying is that Steve Sutcliffe is talking about the GT3 too much, meaning he thinks the review is biased toward the GT3. The review is mainly how the GTS isn't a GT3, not much about how the GTS is a step up from an S.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He makes it pretty clear that he doesn't think it is much of a step up from the S. He talks about the GT3 so much because the GTS costs damn near as much and is being touted as a more livable GT3.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:33 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice GT3 review.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:53 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

The review is exactly what I was expecting. The car is really nothing more than a c4s with the x51 power package.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Here's the thing, just how big is the gap between an S and GT3 anyway, and how do you 'measure' that?

OK we know that there is an extra 45bhp, the RWS, etc etc, but how does that manifest itself?

Some of that analysis can be measured (lap time) but some of it will be subjective too...

Personally I would like to see EVO do a track battle video (at Anglesey) comparing the two cars on track, now we KNOW the GT3 will win, but by how much...

Maybe even go 3 way with an S (with or w/o X51)

I think the gaps will not be that large.

We all know that the GTS is marketed as a filler, but its marketing... truth is its simply a good deal if you wanted an S with X51 etc...

So basically I'm saying is Autocar were measuring the wrong criteria
Old 11-22-2014, 02:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The GT3 is a track car you can drive on the street.

The GTS is a street car you can drive on the track.

The GTS shouldn't be compared to the GT3 no more than the S should be. It's a whole different beast and serves it's own purpose.

You can go around in circles all day.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:29 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
The review is exactly what I was expecting. The car is really nothing more than a c4s with the x51 power package.
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
We all know that the GTS is marketed as a filler, but its marketing... truth is its simply a good deal if you wanted an S with X51 etc...

+1

The GTS is just an option package and some marketing hype. I'm getting one, but only because I saved money on my S order. There's nothing wrong with any of that, but no one should think that the GTS is really a separate model.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:36 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

I think that the car Steve was given was so loaded up with options that the cost difference was affecting his evaluation. ( I could get a GT3 for less than this....).

The GTS could just be a cheaper way to get certain S options ( plus some novel body upgrades). In this case, it isn't expensive, and with the X-51 kit, it is more powerful than the standard S.

Now if it had more hp than the standard X-51 kit ( or was much lighter)......
Old 11-22-2014, 02:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Here's the thing, just how big is the gap between an S and GT3 anyway, and how do you 'measure' that?

OK we know that there is an extra 45bhp, the RWS, etc etc, but how does that manifest itself?

Some of that analysis can be measured (lap time) but some of it will be subjective too...

Personally I would like to see EVO do a track battle video (at Anglesey) comparing the two cars on track, now we KNOW the GT3 will win, but by how much...

Maybe even go 3 way with an S (with or w/o X51)

I think the gaps will not be that large.

Fellow Rennlister Money2536 sums it pretty well, and his car had the X51.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/844049-my-comparison-of-the-991-c2s-to-the-gt3.html
Old 11-22-2014, 09:25 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arter
I think that the car Steve was given was so loaded up with options that the cost difference was affecting his evaluation. ( I could get a GT3 for less than this....). The GTS could just be a cheaper way to get certain S options ( plus some novel body upgrades). In this case, it isn't expensive, and with the X-51 kit, it is more powerful than the standard S. Now if it had more hp than the standard X-51 kit ( or was much lighter)......
+1. You hit it right on the nail. GTS is simply a loaded up S with the wider body. E.g., if I checked the power kit option on my Carrera S order I wouldn't be getting a Carrera S since the GTS would be a no brained at that point with all the added options that comes standard with the GTS.

On the other hand if I wanted more power and didn't need a backseat it would be the GT3 hands down.

GT3 = ultimate performance on the race track and basically a race car that you can drive on the street if needed. If I didn't need a backseat I would have been a GT3 owner yesterday.

GTS = dressed up Carrera S with the power kit.

C2S = best drivers car that can be driven both on the race track and in the street. For me the only choice was either C2S or GT3 and felt that the performance gap between the two are unquestionably noticeable.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah but can it drift?
Old 11-23-2014, 05:42 AM
pap2828
Racer

I happen to think his review overall was fair and measured and he was giving his view.

However, for me the 4GTS is going to give me exactly what I want it from it...

A naughtier, rarer, meatier Carrera S that looks amazing on the daily driver roads.

I would never consider a GT3 because for me it looks more track than road and thats not for me!

I think Porsche have got it just right...and can't wait for mine in March!!!!

Quick Reply: Autocar reviews the GTS