Sponsored by:

Electric Porsche Pajun Getting Ready to Fight The Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 PM
uhear
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Porsche Pajun Getting Ready to Fight The Tesla Model S

“Porsche is plotting a surprise entry into the electric car ranks with an all-new mid-sized liftback that aims to compete with the Tesla Model S.”

“Currently in the formative stages of development at Porsche’s Weissach R&D centre in Germany, the secret five-door is planned to form part of a new dedicated fifth model range set to slot into the German car maker’s line-up beneath the Panamera, according to German media reports citing comments made by Porsche’s outspoken chairman, Matthias Müller.”

Given the level of detail Autocar provides, we believe this Tesla-fighting Porsche is well along in the development process:

“Details of Porsche’s first-ever series production electric car remain shrouded in secrecy, though Autocar understands it has been conceived around a second-generation version of the MSB platform that currently underpins the Panamera.”

“Set to employ a greater percentage of lightweight, hot-formed, high-strength steel and aluminium than today’s structure, it will boast a shorter wheelbase than that of the Panamera and aim to provide the new car with a kerb weight under the Model S’s 2190kg.”

As for propulsion and battery, it’s believed that the 5-seat Porsche Pajun electric will feature a synchronous electric motor with more output that the top-of-the-line Model S. The battery will likely be the same unit found in the Audi R8. Details on that pack are sparse, but we do know that in the R8 e-tron the battery provides up to 280 miles of range and that it’s next-generation battery technology.

We’ve heard “Tesla fighter” several times in the past now, but this electric Porsche is shaping up to be the first true Tesla competitor: loads of performance, seating for five, range of more than 250 miles, Porsche refinement, handling etc. Oh, and Porsche has lots of experience with plug-ins. In fact, Porsche has 3 PHEVs available today, more than any other automaker in the world.

If any automaker is to take on Tesla, the Volkswagen Group (more specifically, Porsche and Audi) is who we’d say is most up to the task. Certainly Volkswagen Group has the means, expertise, know-how, etc., but is the full-on commitment to plug-in vehicles there? If Porsche launches the electric Pajun, then the answer is “yes.”

Source: Autocar

http://insideevs.com/electric-porsch...del-s-fighter/

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 8.42.30 PM.png
Views: 999
Size:  871.1 KB

http://insideevs.com/electric-porsch...del-s-fighter/
Old 11-20-2014, 11:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

So, another Porsche without a manual?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a little bit baffled by macan, pajun, cayenne series of names.

Boxster is ok. It's self referential and if I'm not mistaken evoques the flat six.

Cayman? Well at least it is a nasty alpha predator (Caiman) which is sort of cool for a sportscar.

Cayenne always makes me think "habanero". I'm not sure associating a car with a pepper or spices in general is their intent.

I'm perfectly fine with the generic 911 and utterly humorless "turbo" naming.

I guess macan and cayenne are primarily to please the handbag set and thus have to be marketed with memorable cute-ish names. That being said, Mercedes and BMW have sold a gazillion crossover SUVs and the like without resorting to evocative but harmless names.

In my opinion, if you are going to name a car, go full Monty. Hellcat, Barracuda, Fleshrender, Inferno, War Criminal, etc.
For gentler car models, names like Commitment, Aspiration, and Communicator might work.

Guess it's a VW thing to give obscure meaningless names that communicate nothing about the cars personality or owners aspirations.

Touareg? Really?
Old 11-21-2014, 02:15 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
I am a little bit baffled by macan, pajun, cayenne series of names.

Boxster is ok. It's self referential and if I'm not mistaken evoques the flat six.

Cayman? Well at least it is a nasty alpha predator (Caiman) which is sort of cool for a sportscar.

Cayenne always makes me think "habanero". I'm not sure associating a car with a pepper or spices in general is their intent.

I'm perfectly fine with the generic 911 and utterly humorless "turbo" naming.

I guess macan and cayenne are primarily to please the handbag set and thus have to be marketed with memorable cute-ish names. That being said, Mercedes and BMW have sold a gazillion crossover SUVs and the like without resorting to evocative but harmless names.

In my opinion, if you are going to name a car, go full Monty. Hellcat, Barracuda, Fleshrender, Inferno, War Criminal, etc.
For gentler car models, names like Commitment, Aspiration, and Communicator might work.

Guess it's a VW thing to give obscure meaningless names that communicate nothing about the cars personality or owners aspirations.

Touareg? Really?

Man, I totally agree.

The first thing I thought when I read the title of this thread was why not just call it the Poontang.

It's of course a cultural thing. You see those names of products from Asian countries that when translated into english are not even printable. I highly doubt the third Reich confers with any American counterparts when naming any of their vehicles. Lol.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:17 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Porsche definitely needs to do this to stay ahead of the curve. The technology gained from a full EV will help them in their product line.

I'd order one and tick off the $3000 SPSE option (Simulated Porsche Sport Exhaust)
Old 11-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
Porsche definitely needs to do this to stay ahead of the curve. The technology gained from a full EV will help them in their product line. I'd order one and tick off the $3000 SPSE option (Simulated Porsche Sport Exhaust)
I'm with you.... Bmw i8 without the fashion jewellery design.... And free electric when I get to work.... Why resist?
Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
No clutch, no engagement, no sale.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

In the future when all cars are electric we will no longer have pdk/manual debate threads, thankfully.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
PDE?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
No clutch, no engagement, no sale.
Yup, just like PDK.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:43 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
I'm with you.... Bmw i8 without the fashion jewellery design.... And free electric when I get to work.... Why resist?

Yup, and the technology from the i3 and i8 will trickle down to all of their other models. Even if they don't use the electric tech the next BMW M4 could save several hundred pounds from the current model if they use CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic). Imagine a 2900lb BMW M4 or with similar tech imagine a 2500lb 911.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it helps with MPG targets and co-habits (even permits) the engines we find in 911s today - I'm all for it.

I was looking at the Tesla S when it came out and my friend bought one - but I just needed a real car with a real car sound (in addition to all the other aspects why I wouldn't buy a Tesla).
Old 11-22-2014, 12:03 AM
uhear
Rennlist Member

I am told PAJUN is short hand for Panamera Junior. PA-JUN : PAJUN
Old 11-22-2014, 02:12 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Originally Posted by uhear
I am told PAJUN is short hand for Panamera Junior. PA-JUN : PAJUN
Panamera Junior is something that I've seen come by in graphical form as well

Already some speculation if these renders for the Porsche Design Tower (Miami, more info here: http://www.porsche-design.com/en/New...-Design-Tower/ and http://www.porsche-design.at/all/pds2/towermiami/ {go to Features>Car Elevator to see the first render fronm the three.}) are actually renders of the Pajun or just some Porsche Design "render to complete the Tower graphics.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

P.s. If they make an all electric, a petrol only 458 rival looking something like this (or something in the spirit of the 904) too please (shorter front. longer rear than in the render though please):

Quick Reply: Electric Porsche Pajun Getting Ready to Fight The Tesla Model S