Sponsored by:

GTS configuration input needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Still restless
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS configuration input needed

I'm brand new to the forum as I'm about to take the plunge with my first Porsche. I'm configuring a GT Silver GTS coupe, and am undecided about going with the same color for the rear fascia and side skirts. I assume the standard color is black, but have not seen either combination in person or in pictures, so am trying to decide based on a mental picture.

For those with more experience, or just have a preference, is there any reason not to paint those areas in the color of the car? If there are no downsides, then it's a pretty easy decision. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

It is down to person opinion, some people like everything body color for a more uniform look... personally I like the contrast in black trim to match the wheels, window trim, badges, headlights, front air vents, etc. I think it adds a sporty look in line with the overall design of the GTS model.

Lots of pictures of the GTS in GT Silver out there as well...

Old 11-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Thanks. That was my thought as the GTS has some parts in black anyway. It's a personal preference thing, but I'm lacking some actual examples to compare. I think the side skirts on the picture is body color, not black?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Nope those are definitely black... take a look at the Gallery section of the Porsche USA site under the 911 GTS.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Congratulations on the upcoming build. You're getting a great 1st. Porsche. Here are some posts from my car. Maybe you could get some ideas. I personally like some areas to be more uniform. I do not have the factory side skirts as they are only available for the wide body 991's. Thanks.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4208753
Old 11-18-2014, 12:45 PM
STG
Race Director

Some good info from another GT Silver brother. He just finalized his GTS build. Good guy.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4220546
Old 11-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Thanks for the input, definitely helpful. But, pictures can only do so much; there is nothing like seeing how things look on an actual car. This is how I was able to pick GT over Rhodium Silver; I could not have justified the premium just looking at pictures.

Now I'm leaning keeping those parts in black. I'll come a decision by end of today. In meantime, I'll keep looking for more pictures.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Still restless
Thanks for the input, definitely helpful. But, pictures can only do so much; there is nothing like seeing how things look on an actual car. This is how I was able to pick GT over Rhodium Silver; I could not have justified the premium just looking at pictures. Now I'm leaning keeping those parts in black. I'll come a decision by end of today. In meantime, I'll keep looking for more pictures.
You say pictures can only do so much, but now you're going to look for more pictures? Confused.

Didn't you see the pics of the rear bumper diffuser color matched to the GT Silver? Doesn't get more real than that.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Fair point, I'm hoping more pictures (different angles, etc.) would make things clearer. I did see the diffuser in GT Silver, which looks good. I'm kind of in both camps now (diffuser in body color, but side skirts in black).
Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 PM
STG
Race Director

Fair point, I'm hoping more pictures (different angles, etc.) would make things clearer. I did see the diffuser in GT Silver, which looks good. I'm kind of in both camps now (diffuser in body color, but side skirts in black).
I think painted side skirts would look awesome personally!

Last edited by STG; 11-18-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I think the painted black plastic trim looks great, including the rear fascia, side mirrors and side skirts. Besides looking great, lower, and more finished, they will be easier to detail (no wax residue issues).

I don't like painted black trim in the front (SD spoiler lip or air intake vents) due to the beating they take from stone chips. The unpainted black trim there holds up better.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-18-2014, 09:47 PM
jsr991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

as others have said cleaning the wax off the black is a bit of a pain in the neck. I have a GTS in GT silver on order not locked for a couple of weeks. I have left the back in black and side skirts painted. Not 100% sure on the side skirts. Hoping to be lucky and see a GT silver in LA this weekend with black side skirts

Last edited by jsr991; 11-18-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Originally Posted by jsr991
as others have said cleaning the wax off the black is a bit of a pain in the neck. I have a GTS in GT silver on order not locked for a couple of weeks. I have left the back in black and side skirts painted. Not 100% sure on the side skirts. Hoping to be lucky and see a GT silver in LA this weekend with black side skirts
We have the opposite set-up at the moment. I look forward to your thoughts after the show. I didn't realize the black skirts and rear fascia are painted metal vs plastic. It does complicate detailing a bit.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:29 PM
jsr991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have the opposite set-up at the moment. I look forward to your thoughts after the show. I didn't realize the black skirts and rear fascia are painted metal vs plastic. It does complicate detailing a bit.
I can't say for sure if they are plastic or metal when you order them painted. I suspect they are plastic in both configurations. When they are not painted they tend to be porous (not a glossy finish) hence the wax issue. Had them black on my 991 C2S and had to be a little more caution when waxing around those areas
Old 11-19-2014, 12:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by jsr991
I can't say for sure if they are plastic or metal when you order them painted. I suspect they are plastic in both configurations. When they are not painted they tend to be porous (not a glossy finish) hence the wax issue. Had them black on my 991 C2S and had to be a little more caution when waxing around those areas

The pieces are the same plastic regardless. They just paint on top of them. Of course with the proper prepping.

Quick Reply: GTS configuration input needed