Sponsored by:

GTS configuration input needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Sorry for being so upfront.

I hate seeing an amazing car hitting the chop shop. Breaks my heart!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
The configurator shows the SD detail page for the SD pkg available on the S which includes the front and rear components.

On the GTS the SD pkg is ONLY the ducktail (which is why its only $2200) the
GTS comes as std with the SD mirrors and SD front fascia ... you can select the regular mirrors as an option but there is NO way to delete the SD front fascia from the GTS
Thanks for clarifying. I'm going with the SD mirrors.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Originally Posted by STG991
Absolutely correct.

Good thing they don't have removing the bumper as an option!!! Restless-- If you want the standard bumper, I have one in GT silver. I'll trade you for the Sport Design one!
Lol. I'm keeping the SD bumper. But, I know who to contact if I change my mind.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Still restless
Thanks for clarifying. I'm going with the SD mirrors.
just in full disclosure they are not power folding like the std Carerra mirrors ..
Old 11-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vise
Do you track your car and/or change your own wheels often? If so understandable... if not get the CLs. Any decent shop can deal with them and frankly all of the discussion here on them being a pain seems overblown for most people with normal usage.

Best advice is fire up the 3D configurator on full screen mode and see how every change/addition looks on the car. Extremely helpful IMO, one area where Porsche is head and shoulders above the rest.
Originally Posted by STG991
+1

Keep GT3/Sport Design mirrors

Do Centerlocks. You're getting a better quality forged wheel for the same price as the dime a dozen Carrera S's

Hopefully the Powerkit is staying?
I do not plan to track on a regular basis, but do expect some occasional opportunities. The fear of god has been put into me based on what I've read about maintaining and dealing with CL wheels. I know it's a better wheel, so I'm now agonizing over this decision.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Still restless
Instructor

just in full disclosure they are not power folding like the std Carerra mirrors ..
Yes, I got that. Based on the design, it looks to be a pretty neat trick for it to fold.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Still restless
The fear of god has been put into me based on what I've read about maintaining and dealing with CL wheels. I know it's a better wheel, so I'm now agonizing over this decision.
Well that goes back to my prior question, will you be changing wheels yourself? If so understandable, if not go CL all day.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

my one comment/observation is that you have somewhat "de-GTS-ized" your build
And that's a bad thing because... ???

The GTS is a "parts bin" car, and the 991 GTS looks the part with the odd black bits here and there. It looks like they are test fitting the parts and plan to paint them later.

While the clam shell on the non-GTS cars have the hollowed out look surrounding the rear grill, the black grill on the GTS Cab clam shell makes it appear to be even more bowl-like.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
And that's a bad thing because... ??? The GTS is a "parts bin" car, and the 991 GTS looks the part with the odd black bits here and there. It looks like they are test fitting the parts and plan to paint them later. While the clam shell on the non-GTS cars have the hollowed out look surrounding the rear grill, the black grill on the GTS Cab clam shell makes it appear to be even more bowl-like.
A "parts bin" car that comes together very nicely!!

Nothing ground breaking obviously, but a great packaged car looks wise and even at a price break. How can you go wrong??

The "clam shell hollowed bowl black bits" rant sounds like a lack of design appreciation and will fall upon deaf ears here....
Old 11-21-2014, 01:42 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

And that's a bad thing because... ???

The GTS is a "parts bin" car, and the 991 GTS looks the part with the odd black bits here and there. It looks like they are test fitting the parts and plan to paint them later.

While the clam shell on the non-GTS cars have the hollowed out look surrounding the rear grill, the black grill on the GTS Cab clam shell makes it appear to be even more bowl-like.
Not much point in buying a parts bin car if you throw out all the parts from the bin you are buying... Might as well spec an S... All clam shells being equal that is
Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

If I were going to order a 2015 911, it would be the GTS Coupe RWD because the mechanical and technological gains override Porsche's aesthetic blunders. Fortunately, most of the cosmetic flaws can be "ordered out" of the car. The only flaw that would have to be corrected after delivery is the black grill between the tail lights, which should be easy to remove so it can be painted to match the body color.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

If I were going to order a 2015 911, it would be the GTS Coupe RWD because the mechanical and technological gains override Porsche's aesthetic blunders. Fortunately, most of the cosmetic flaws can be "ordered out" of the car. The only flaw that would have to be corrected after delivery is the black grill between the tail lights, which should be easy to remove so it can be painted to match the body color.
another option would be to order the '4' GTS 'reflector' strip that replaces that grille on the 2 variant?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Default Build finalized

With helpful input from all (especially Larry with pics from the show), I finalized my build today.

The changes from the preliminary version are:
SD mirrors (vs power folding)
Painted side skirts & rear fascia
Power steering plus
Metal sunroof (vs glass)
Carbon fiber trim on console (vs leather)
Painted Carrera S wheels (vs silver)

I'm getting a Feb. build, which should arrive in March. I'm going to try to stop thinking about the configuration now. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:52 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

another option would be to order the '4' GTS 'reflector' strip that replaces that grille on the 2 variant?
That's a thought.

However, I'll bet that move would catch a lot of flack here for trying to make a 2 look like a 4.

Quick Reply: GTS configuration input needed