Sponsored by:

GTS configuration input needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,465 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Still restless
Below is my build. The only other item I gave some thought to is the center-lock wheels; they should be lighter and are slightly wider (at least in front). But, given all the negatives, I'm staying away from them. I'm still interested in any feedback on things a newbie may have overlooked, or should consider. Thanks.

P3E Premium package plus
P3H Bose audio package
U2 GT silver metallic
DK Agate grey leather interior
425 Rear wiper
602 LED headlights
638 Park assist with reversing camera
653 Glass sunroof
712 Delete GTS on side doors
748 Power folding side mirrors
CNG Painted read fascia
XAJ Painted side skirts
352 Dynamic chassis control
487 Manual transmission
423 20" Carrera S wheels
346 Wheels painted in silver
345 Heated steering wheel
581 Luggage net in passenger footwell
583 Smoking package
714 Delete alcantara
844 Multifunction steering wheel
P06 Power sport seats (14 way)
XHB Center concole trim in leather
EGA Carbon interior package
671 Voice control
my one comment/observation is that you have somewhat "de-GTS-ized" your build
Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I agree a bit with that and would consider either wheels in black or CL wheels in black. Yes - CL wheels in black!!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
I agree a bit with that and would consider either wheels in black or CL wheels in black. Yes - CL wheels in black!!
especially with GT Silver
Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bunch of personal preferences here.

In general, I like the monotone look and would paint everything. However, the GTS style is all the black trim, so on that model, I would - and did - leave the trim in black with one exception, and that's the side skirts. Although the black side skirts may look good in Porsche's pics, I think that they get lost in real life. By painting the skirts, the car is visually lowered and looks much better imo. My $0.02.
Originally Posted by Vetsky
Some things I noticed:

1) Did you want the center console in leather and not carbon?

2) Do you not like the Sport Design Mirrors? I have read that some people with the standard mirrors experienced some buffeting problems. I have no clue if there is any truth to this claim, but it was enough for me to stay away from the folding mirrors. Besides the SD mirrors look cool.

3) If you stick with the standard mirrors, you may want to consider painting the lower portion of them.

4) Some people like the clean look or no rear wiper. Just something to consider.

Just some ideas.
Thanks. The newbie has more to learn. It looks like the SD mirrors are part of the package, including spoilers, which I don't care for. I'm not sure about the look of the mirror, but if it solves a buffeting problem, and can be not part of the package, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I like the idea of painting the lower portion (didn't realize they would not be). I'm going for the wiper for its function, despite the aesthetics.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The SD mirrors are the default on the GTS, as is the SD front fascia (for which, on the GTS, there is no alternative unlike the S), however the SD 'ducktail' is an option and not std. The 'std' power mirrors are an option (as you found) on the GTS, as is painting their lower (std black/unpainted) parts.

not sure what 'package' you are referring to above...
Old 11-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Still restless
Instructor

I guess the issue is I've taken some black pieces/color out of the mix. I appreciate the input on wheel color. I've never felt any affinity for black wheels, but with a light-colored car, I'll take a closer look. Based on what I've read, the CL wheels are a pain. So, I'm staying clear of that.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Still restless
Instructor

The SD mirrors are the default on the GTS, as is the SD front fascia (for which, on the GTS, there is no alternative unlike the S), however the SD 'ducktail' is an option and not std. The 'std' power mirrors are an option (as you found) on the GTS, as is painting their lower (std black/unpainted) parts.

not sure what 'package' you are referring to above...
There is a SportDesign package that mentions front fascia (so am not sure this is standard) and front and read spoilers. I didn't realize by not getting the power folding mirrors the SD mirror would be what comes on the car. I'll give this another look. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 PM
jsr991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a SportDesign package that mentions front fascia (so am not sure this is standard) and front and read spoilers. I didn't realize by not getting the power folding mirrors the SD mirror would be what comes on the car. I'll give this another look. Thanks for pointing this out.
sport design package adds duck tail front fascia is standard as are sd mirrors
Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Based on what I've read, the CL wheels are a pain. So, I'm staying clear of that.
Do you track your car and/or change your own wheels often? If so understandable... if not get the CLs. Any decent shop can deal with them and frankly all of the discussion here on them being a pain seems overblown for most people with normal usage.

I didn't realize by not getting the power folding mirrors the SD mirror would be what comes on the car. I'll give this another look. Thanks for pointing this out.
Best advice is fire up the 3D configurator on full screen mode and see how every change/addition looks on the car. Extremely helpful IMO, one area where Porsche is head and shoulders above the rest.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Still restless
Instructor

I think carbon trim in the center console is just a bit more carbon than necessary. I think leather there looks better to me.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:22 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

+1

Keep GT3/Sport Design mirrors

Do Centerlocks. You're getting a better quality forged wheel for the same price as the dime a dozen Carrera S's

Hopefully the Powerkit is staying?
Old 11-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The configurator shows the SD detail page for the SD pkg available on the S which includes the front and rear components.

On the GTS the SD pkg is ONLY the ducktail (which is why its only $2200) the
GTS comes as std with the SD mirrors and SD front fascia ... you can select the regular mirrors as an option but there is NO way to delete the SD front fascia from the GTS
Old 11-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
+1

Keep GT3/Sport Design mirrors

Do Centerlocks. You're getting a better quality forged wheel for the same price as the dime a dozen Carrera S's

Hopefully the Powerkit is staying?
+1 ... you cant delete the pwr kit from the GTS
Old 11-20-2014, 12:39 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The configurator shows the SD detail page for the SD pkg available on the S which includes the front and rear components. On the GTS the SD pkg is ONLY the ducktail (which is why its only $2200) the GTS comes as std with the SD mirrors and SD front fascia ... you can select the regular mirrors as an option but there is NO way to delete the SD front fascia from the GTS

Absolutely correct.

Good thing they don't have removing the bumper as an option!!! Restless-- If you want the standard bumper, I have one in GT silver. I'll trade you for the Sport Design one!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Absolutely correct.

Good thing they don't have removing the bumper as an option!!! If you want the standard bumper, I have one in GT silver. I'll trade you for the Sport Design one!
+1 ... sweet deal

Quick Reply: GTS configuration input needed