Sponsored by:

The now "age old debate" PDK vs Manual in the GTS, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which to get?

Obviously if you enjoy driving, you'll get the MT.

Helpful facts like that aside, I love my MT - ~6500 miles, always a pleasure.

For commuting it's a tougher call, but I'll also admit to not commuting in mine because it's my fun car for wineries and twisty back roads more than the highway. For that, I wouldn't take an auto in any case.

Huh, this post still isn't really helpful.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I think everyone buying a new Porsche has the same thoughts - at least those that can drive a stick. I did as well, and bought a BMW 135i with their 'PDK' system (same as Porsches, a dual clutch).
I know what you mean. I bought a manual in my Porsche because the GM automatic in my mom's '82 Caprice sucked.

Oh, wait, no, I didn't, because that is a completely different gearbox. You can't judge the PDK by whatever hunk of junk BMW is shipping in the modified taxicabs they call "sports cars."

(Edit: That comment sounds harsher than I really meant it to, but I'll let it stand because you're something like the third person in the thread who has argued for the manual because they were bored or otherwise disappointed with another manufacturer's DCT. There is a reason why the PDK is literally the standard of the world. When a manufacturer designs a new sports car, they don't have their engineers order a BMW and take it apart with a screwdriver.)

Last edited by Noah Fect; 11-07-2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Tweak
Old 11-07-2014, 09:29 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Oh, wait, no, I didn't, because that is a completely different gearbox. You can't judge the PDK by whatever hunk of junk BMW is shipping in the modified taxicabs they call "sports cars."

(Edit: That comment sounds harsher than I really meant it to, but I'll let it stand because you're something like the third person in the thread who has argued for the manual because they were bored or otherwise disappointed with another manufacturer's DCT. There is a reason why the PDK is literally the standard of the world. When a manufacturer designs a new sports car, they don't have their engineers order a BMW and take it apart with a screwdriver.)
You don't know BMW's. And you don't know Porsches. Because the PDK came out in 2009 in the 997.2, so it wasn't a 'new' sports car. It's a Dual Clutch design exactly like BMW offers in their top tier cars. If you drive them back to back the BMW is more aggressive with a harder shift, the Porsche smoother and more like an automatic - both are excellent gearboxes. I've owned many BMW's and many Porsches....don't think for a minute a well driven M3 won't wax a 991's *** on a track. It can.

Now the above post may sound a bit harsh but I'll let it stand because - well - you're just flat out wrong.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Outside of warranty, the manual will be far less costly to repair.
I'm not so sure about that anymore.

There was a (very long) time manuals were faster, more efficient, more reliable and cheaper to work on. Now 2 out of those 4 have definitely been reversed and the other two are probably pretty close to a toss up. If the 7MT really shares 80% with the PDK I don't see how it'll be much of any cheaper to work on or more reliable.

And a clutch is a clutch. There's a few people than can drive one hard for 100+k mikes and never need a replacement, but in think its unrealistic to think that hardware wise it's really tougher than the pack in the PDK. It's highly reasonable to assume the average MT will need a clutch (or two) long before the average PDK fails. And many causes of failures for the PDK would also be failures in a MT due to mass hardware overlap in the first place.

As for collectibility, I think he next gen (991.2/992 whatever) will offer the 7MT into the next decade.

Bottom line: they are both awesome, get the one you want. But trying to guess future depreciation (or appreciation! LOL) and reliability based on transmission choice at this point is pretty futile IMO.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:12 PM
jmirandes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PDK.

I had never owned an automatic or semiautomatic car until my 911-50th ( basically, a GTS). My DD is a '08 RS4 and also have a '04 MCS MC40, both manual as you may now. I am extremely happy with the PDK and just enjoyed 2 days at Sebring which were a blast. Do I miss the clutch when in the 911?, no. Do i still enjoy my manual in the RS, yes. Would i get the 911 in manual after experiencing PDK? I have to say NO.

You will not go wrong either way, but after 35 years of manual-only cars, i love PDK, specially on-track. I still have a manual to enjoy, but if it were me, PDK again.

Jmirandes
'14 911-50th graphite grey
'08 audi Rs4
'04 MCS MC 40
Old 11-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

You don't know BMW's. And you don't know Porsches. Because the PDK came out in 2009 in the 997.2, so it wasn't a 'new' sports car.
Sorry, I must have missed the part where the OP was asking about a 2009 GTS rather than a 2015 one.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:03 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetsky
I just ordered a GTS with a manual gearbox.

My current car, a BMW has a DCT(my first, all my other cars have been manual). It is fast, responsive, and can shift a whole lot better than I can. The problem is, I hate it. I drive it manual mode and use the paddle shifters and I feel like it is such a chore. I then end up putting back in auto mode. I simply do not feel connected to the car. It is simply not fun (for me of course).

When I test drove the Porsche I tried both the PDK and the manual. Again the PDK was lightning quick. Driving in sport + the car will hold the gear until red line, and the throttle response is amazing. It really is a marvelous transmission. The problem was I found driving the manual SO much more fun. I thought I would hate the rev matching, but towards the end of the drive I actually starting enjoying it.

Anyway, these test drives happened before the announcement of the GTS, and the two cars I was considering was a C2S with X51 or a GT3. If GTS was not announced I would have still gone the C2S route, simply because I NEEDED a manual.

I know some people will think I'm crazy, but the transmission was the biggest factor is choosing the GTS over the GT3.
You're definitely not crazy.
All sports cars should come with a manual....period.
Now this is funny.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:38 AM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose a manual because I find automatics boring. I enjoy rowing my own gears. My first two cars I owned were autos. When I purchased a Honda Prelude years ago with a manual I was hooked. I swore never again would I ever buy a automatic unless it simply wasn't available anymore.

I have used the PDK on the track with a C2S. I know I could never row gears well enough to keep up. Despite being slightly slower I still love the feeling of the car with a manual transmission, it is something that is just hard to describe how it feels but it is much more enjoyable to me.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:02 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
his dick is THAT small - must be driving a Buick!
That was before the goodie room.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:40 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I know what you mean. I bought a manual in my Porsche because the GM automatic in my mom's '82 Caprice sucked.

Actually I think a lot of people who have tried both think the DCT is at least as good or better than the PDK, at least the one in the regular Carrera. I can say now owning a M4 w the DCT, my C2S with the manual tranny is much more fun and engaging to drive though probably much slower.
Jim
Old 11-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Actually I think a lot of people who have tried both think the DCT is at least as good or better than the PDK, at least the one in the regular Carrera. I can say now owning a M4 w the DCT, my C2S with the manual tranny is much more fun and engaging to drive though probably much slower.
Jim
A brand-new M4 is one thing. But is it reasonable to cite your experience in a 135i to criticize the transmission in a 2015 GTS? Sorry, maybe I "don't know BMW" and am "flat out wrong," but that argument doesn't work for me.

I'm not actually trying to insult anyone's car, and I'm not saying that that there is no hope that BMW will return to their "Ultimate driving machine" roots. (Well, OK, I'm insulting the '82 Caprice. Not much hope for that one.) Just saying that lumping everything with two pedals into the same "automatic" category might lead the OP to make an expensive mistake.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:54 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are times when you'll be sorry, regardless of which one you get. Only you can decide whether you will be more or less sorry with PDK or manual. Next up on Rennlist: Should I date a blonde or a brunette?
PDK and blonde
Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not a fan of the 7 speed MT - I think it never should have been made.

If you want a MT get a Gated R8 (get the V8 not the V10) while you can.

If you want a 911, get PDK.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:14 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

A brand-new M4 is one thing. But is it reasonable to cite your experience in a 135i to criticize the transmission in a 2015 GTS? Sorry, maybe I "don't know BMW" and am "flat out wrong," but that argument doesn't work for me.

I'm not actually trying to insult anyone's car, and I'm not saying that that there is no hope that BMW will return to their "Ultimate driving machine" roots. (Well, OK, I'm insulting the '82 Caprice. Not much hope for that one.) Just saying that lumping everything with two pedals into the same "automatic" category might lead the OP to make an expensive mistake.
Actually I agree with your main point Noah....BMW does need to 'return to its roots' with the M cars and its diluting of the M brand. I am a little disappointed so far, but hope that will change after the break in miles are completed

Jim
Old 11-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always been a manual transmission fan . . . always having a 911 since 1971. My desire for a clutch began to crumble after having the GM 700-R4 automatic transmission in my '91 Chevy pickup "beefed" up with shift kit and higher speed torque converter. With the Comp cam, roller rockers, headers, and computer chip pumping up the 350 V-8 engine with a 4.10:1 positraction; the snap shifts are a kick and makes the automatic great fun to drive.
So I am at a Porsche Club dinner last year seated across from a BMW driver who had returned to the Porsche fold with a new Boxter after a 15 year absence in the BMW club . . . explaining why I was considering a manual seven-speed in my new 991 Carrera S I planned to order. The BMW driver took on the challenge pointing out the PDK is not the Tiptronic and launching into its merits. Started me thinking about entering the 21st century after driving my current '74 911 for almost 40 years with a 5-speed manual transmission.
This group sealed my fate along with seeing 85% to 90% of new Porsche sales ordering PDK since they can't be that wrong. So my 2015 Carrera S on the boat right now approaching the Panama Canal has PDK and paddle shifters behind the good looking Sport Design wheel.
Of course I will keep my '74 911 with 5-speed manual for awhile in case I am totally wrong about a car with "Drive" position on the console . . . .

Quick Reply: The now "age old debate" PDK vs Manual in the GTS, HELP