Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The now "age old debate" PDK vs Manual in the GTS, HELP

Old 11-07-2014, 03:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetsky
I just ordered a GTS with a manual gearbox. My current car, a BMW has a DCT(my first, all my other cars have been manual). It is fast, responsive, and can shift a whole lot better than I can. The problem is, I hate it. I drive it manual mode and use the paddle shifters and I feel like it is such a chore. I then end up putting back in auto mode. I simply do not feel connected to the car. It is simply not fun (for me of course). When I test drove the Porsche I tried both the PDK and the manual. Again the PDK was lightning quick. Driving in sport + the car will hold the gear until red line, and the throttle response is amazing. It really is a marvelous transmission. The problem was I found driving the manual SO much more fun. I thought I would hate the rev matching, but towards the end of the drive I actually starting enjoying it. Anyway, these test drives happened before the announcement of the GTS, and the two cars I was considering was a C2S with X51 or a GT3. If GTS was not announced I would have still gone the C2S route, simply because I NEEDED a manual. I know some people will think I'm crazy, but the transmission was the biggest factor is choosing the GTS over the GT3.
You are not crazy,many people think like you,including me. I haven't gotten the new GT3 just because it doesn't come with a manual.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:59 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hinckley
+1

I don't think you're crazy. I chose the GTS over the TurboS because of the availability of the MT.

Some people on this board will be different, but I believe that most people who go from an MT to a PDK (or similar) think that when they feel like it, they'll just shift for themselves. After a few days, almost everyone forgets to shift and they leave it in Auto mode. Nice. Fast. But simply not as engaging.
Agreed. I'm getting a GTS because I wanted manual transmission and RWD. Leaves out the 991 Turbo and the 991 GT3.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,420 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
There are times when you'll be sorry, regardless of which one you get. Only you can decide whether you will be more or less sorry with PDK or manual.

Next up on Rennlist: Should I date a blonde or a brunette?
both and dont forget the redheads
Old 11-07-2014, 04:26 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an enthusiast crowd for sure! Thanks for the answers! I tend towards the manual. The reason I considered the PDK is that it is a new technology and I have never had any automatic car.
How is the new 7 speed compared to the 997.2 6 speed?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IRguy
This is an enthusiast crowd for sure! Thanks for the answers! I tend towards the manual. The reason I considered the PDK is that it is a new technology and I have never had any automatic car.
How is the new 7 speed compared to the 997.2 6 speed?
G50 uber alles... the 991 7MT is a variant of the PDK box, essentially the PDK box with a manual clutch and shifter ... its hardly worth it IMO
Old 11-07-2014, 04:40 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

2014 C2S 7MT here and love it...I will only buy MT as long as Porsche offers them.

I know if I went with PDK it would have been driven in auto mode all the time (had an M3 with dual clutch and never manually shifted). This is my fun car and 7MT is way more fun than pushing buttons.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:09 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

The 7MT is as close to a Honda S2000 shifter as you're going to find in a Porsche.

Larry I recently drove a G50, its like comparing a hand drill to a Maketia Cordless Hammer drill!

See you Unter den Linden!
Old 11-07-2014, 05:25 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
The 7MT is as close to a Honda S2000 shifter as you're going to find in a Porsche.

Larry I recently drove a G50, its like comparing a hand drill to a Maketia Cordless Hammer drill!

See you Unter den Linden!
So that means 7MT is smoother and requires less effort...?
I need to try it somehow, somewhere..
Old 11-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Some people on this board will be different, but I believe that most people who go from an MT to a PDK (or similar) think that when they feel like it, they'll just shift for themselves. After a few days, almost everyone forgets to shift and they leave it in Auto mode. Nice. Fast. But simply not as engaging.
Very well said.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think everyone who asks this question, deep inside, already knows the answer. I suspect you will be getting a manual. Put it this way, if everyone said the pdk was just OK, would it even be a question in your mind? I think we each individually lean towards a certain preference based upon how we are going to use the car and what we inherently prefer. The fact that the PDK is so insanely good just muddies the waters.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:10 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

This subject got me thinking about my dad. Dad drove vehicles with crappy drum brakes for so many years, he so completely developed the habits and thought patterns of someone forced to endure decades of driving crappy brakes, that he never was completely able to break those old habits even when cars with perfectly good disc brakes started coming out. For the longest time he'd be downshifting even before braking "to save the brakes". Then of course he would pump the brakes.

This was all around the time I was learning to drive. One of the things I learned was WHY dad's old tricks had been necessary. But when I tried explaining why it wasn't the case any more, that it was in fact less safe and detrimental to handling, why now that brakes are inexpensive, long lasting and powerful it makes sense to use them more and help prevent expensive transmission work. But he wouldn't hear a word of it. He knew what worked, and that was that. Many years later I noticed he was still, sometimes, pumping the brakes.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:45 PM
RichardC
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
This subject got me thinking about my dad. Dad drove vehicles with crappy drum brakes for so many years, he so completely developed the habits and thought patterns of someone forced to endure decades of driving crappy brakes, that he never was completely able to break those old habits even when cars with perfectly good disc brakes started coming out. For the longest time he'd be downshifting even before braking "to save the brakes". Then of course he would pump the brakes.

This was all around the time I was learning to drive. One of the things I learned was WHY dad's old tricks had been necessary. But when I tried explaining why it wasn't the case any more, that it was in fact less safe and detrimental to handling, why now that brakes are inexpensive, long lasting and powerful it makes sense to use them more and help prevent expensive transmission work. But he wouldn't hear a word of it. He knew what worked, and that was that. Many years later I noticed he was still, sometimes, pumping the brakes.
I'm not sure why, but I read that in Matthew McConaughey's voice and imagined he was driving a Lincoln.

Richard
Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RichardC
I'm not sure why, but I read that in Matthew McConaughey's voice and imagined he was driving a Lincoln.

Richard
his dick is THAT small - must be driving a Buick!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I think everyone buying a new Porsche has the same thoughts - at least those that can drive a stick. I did as well, and bought a BMW 135i with their 'PDK' system (same as Porsches, a dual clutch). It was trick at first, but by 6 months I was bored out of my mind with it and longed for some gears to row. So there is that. Three other points to consider in favor of the manual:

* You have $ 4K more to buy something else with

* The GTS could be one of the last 911's you can buy with a stick, its certainly the most post powerful new Porsche you can buy today with a manual. Now, if they decide to stop manual trans altogether in the next generation car, guess what just became an instant depreciation-resistant collectible? your GTS.

* Outside of warranty, the manual will be far less costly to repair.

All of the above makes little difference to those that lease, however.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

One night I had a dream : a superior being came to me and asked me if I'm interested to know what's in my future. I couldn't refuse the temptation so I've accepted. I don't remember much of anything,except the vehicles I was being transported in : they weren't making any sound,some of them were on the ground,some in mid air. Very fast,actually I would say lighting fast. Interestingly,they had no drivers. I remember this very well : I've checked for PDK...DCT...DSG...??!! NOTHING! I was getting desperate. And then it hit me : they had no steering wheel,no pedals...I was getting sad . I've asked the superior being what's happening,how is this possible. It told me to relax. It's EVOLUTION IT said...

Then I woke up...went to the garage,got in my manual 911 and it was the happiest day of my life!!!

Yours truly,
Shakespeare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The now "age old debate" PDK vs Manual in the GTS, HELP