Sponsored by:

Base or S for a noob?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base or S for a noob?

Howdy all -

New to the forum, brand and can't make up my mind. Also, I have posted a similar question to the general discussion, but perhaps (the 991 discussion area is more appropriate?)

Anyways, I've always wanted a Porsche and trying to pull the trigger, but can't decide between a Carrera vs Carrera S.

I have never owned or have leased a sports car and have always been a sedan/SUV kind of a person (currently drive a 2013 CLS and 2014 X6) and can't decide if the S variation is really needed or if it would be mandatory.

That said, I have never been to the track and don't see myself getting there anytime soon, but for potential resale value or even for "self-satisfaction", does the S make more sense or would the base Carrera be enough?

Lastly... I'm in the NorthEast and wanted to ask how does 20" wheels with PASM and the sports suspension impact the driving experience? especially with potholes and nasty road in NY/NJ?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Standard Carrera will be just fine and offer more performance than you might need but if you going to add options such as PASM the you will be better off with S due to resale values, careful though as Porsche is very good at taking your money with options. I am fine on PASM on UK B roads which are not the best!
Old 10-30-2014, 12:40 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No wrong choice here. However I never get a base model of any make of car that I buy. Resale is the number 1 reason, and the option packages not available in the base model.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If your budget allows, get the S. I've never know an S owner with 911S envy, wishing they purchased the base. Both great cars.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Red GTS
Instructor

Drive both, see which one is right for you, my thought is go for the S but only you can decide if the difference in base and S models make sense.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Thank you for the feedback.

What are some of the mandatory (must have) options for S?

- PDCC with PASM or just PASM?
- Chrono
- 14/18 way seat
- Bose
- Heated/Ventilated seat
- Sport exhaust system sounds very good (but good enough without it?)
Old 10-30-2014, 01:10 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Everyone here is going to tell you to get an "S", but we are all a little rabid on Porsches. For coming out of a CLS and X6, the standard model will be more than adequate for you. Save the money - because if you don't like it after a bit, you have less invested in it. You WILL find that the Porsche is small and tight, noisy and rougher riding than what you are used to. Many a person has discovered those to be fatal faults and get out of the car rather quickly. On the other hand, its a scalpel in a land of butter knives, and if you get hooked on the driving experience, then this will just be your first one. Save the upgrade to an 'S' or better for Porsche # 2. I'd suggest a used 2012 for your first one, they've already taken a good hit on depreciation and if you don't like it after a few months you won't take a bad hit on it.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Vox
Thank you for the feedback.

What are some of the mandatory (must have) options for S?

- PDCC with PASM or just PASM?
- Chrono
- 14/18 way seat
- Bose
- Heated/Ventilated seat
- Sport exhaust system sounds very good (but good enough without it?)
dont waste your money on PDCC IMO... Sport Chrono + PSE + PASM...

You dont mention if you are in the market for the manual transmission or PDK ... if the latter, spec the Sport Design steering wheel ... you do not want the multifunction one with the goofy shifter buttons.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont waste your money on PDCC IMO... Sport Chrono + PSE + PASM...

You dont mention if you are in the market for the manual transmission or PDK ... if the latter, spec the Sport Design steering wheel ... you do not want the multifunction one with the goofy shifter buttons.

Definitely going with PDK.

By the way, when you mention PSE (are your referring to the sport exhaust)? Also, thanks for the heads up on the steering wheel!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

PSE= Porsche sport exhaust.

The S comes standard with PASM.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by drcollie
Many a person has discovered those to be fatal faults and get out of the car rather quickly.
Really? Define many, then.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sports design steering wheel (& mirrors) do look nicer regardless of g/box IMO anyway. Wheel type makes a difference on the looks too. Never tried base seats but 14 way are nice. Not too keen on 18 way due to plastic backing which means you have to order another option to cover them with leather. If you are going to do much night time driving its worthwhile checking the headlight options ..... It's a very slippery road!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Vox
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Larry Cable;11764800]dont waste your money on PDCC IMO... Sport Chrono + PSE + PASM...

Originally Posted by drcollie
Everyone here is going to tell you to get an "S", but we are all a little rabid on Porsches. For coming out of a CLS and X6, the standard model will be more than adequate for you. Save the money - because if you don't like it after a bit, you have less invested in it. You WILL find that the Porsche is small and tight, noisy and rougher riding than what you are used to. Many a person has discovered those to be fatal faults and get out of the car rather quickly. On the other hand, its a scalpel in a land of butter knives, and if you get hooked on the driving experience, then this will just be your first one. Save the upgrade to an 'S' or better for Porsche # 2. I'd suggest a used 2012 for your first one, they've already taken a good hit on depreciation and if you don't like it after a few months you won't take a bad hit on it.
Super helpful and thank you for the opinion.

In fact, I was thinking about getting a used (2012 or 2013 with 5-10k miles) as this would be my first Porsche, but the price difference on a USED vs NEW didn't make much of a difference.

On top of that, many of the base 911's are almost bare bone vs on a S (most of them were well equipped), but the sell price on a CPO is out of whack thus for shopping for a new car.

Coming from a CLS and X6 - harsh driving condition for the Northeast is a concern (even if the car was for the weekend only) and thus for trying to figure out if I'll be better off with a 19" and ignore PASM.

On the CLS - I had gone through 5 or so tires within the last 10 months (bubbles and getting a flat) only from going over a small pothole and plenty of times where the rims were damaged.

Interestingly enough, the x6 have been bullet proof whereas x5m and Q7 had the same problem on a 20 or 21" with low profile tires.

Does anyone have any direct comment/feedback on a Carrera with 20" and PASM with the disgusting road in the Northeast?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:29 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Really? Define many, then.
HA! Well who has numbers? Not I.... but when you see relatively new Porsches (or Astons, or Ferraris, etc) back at the dealership for sale and they were delivered 90 days ago with just 700 miles on the car, then you can be pretty sure the owner wasn't enamoured with it.

I'm on my 5th Porsche. My first 911 was a 1970 model that I bought used in 1975. I love 'em for what they do but they kind of suck at highway trips and I'll grab my wife's Audi SQ5 if I have to go more than three hours one-way.

Lots of people coming out of 'comfort' cars like a CLS and X6 aren't ready for the tire noise, small seats and rougher ride of a Porsche. Why spend $ 130K to find out when you can buy a used 2012 base for $ 85K to see if its for you?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexVan
PSE= Porsche sport exhaust.

The S comes standard with PASM.
Thank you!

But, I have an order sheet in front of me and also when looking at the build online - there is an option called "PASM sport suspension" for $890. I assume that's something totally different?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Base or S for a noob?