Sponsored by:

Base or S for a noob?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
I just returned a car to Paul Miller Porsche w/ the following specs: 2013 C2S, approx. 12,300 miles, white/ black, Carrera Classics, SC, SPASM, PSE, Premium Package Plus, 14-way seats, Bose, Multi-function wheel. It was a 7MT though and I think you may have said you're looking for a PDK. Also no clue if they'll buy the car and then try to sell it as a CPO.
eg991 - thank you for the info and congrats on your Turbo!

Only if the car had PDK (and they would sell at a good price), but based on my initial googling... I'm just better off buying it new even if it was my first Porsche.

Like many have mentioned, perhaps the S may only be short lived and move on to a Turbo and then TTS.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexVan
Not necessarily. Very expensive. There are other options I would want before LED headlights. I was just fortunate enough to have my cake and eat it too.
But they look very nice ;-)

I have the LED lights on my existing cars (and I can't deal with cars without it), but for a headlight - it is an expensive option for any/all brands (another way to suck more money from its customers)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:40 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vox
eg991 - thank you for the info and congrats on your Turbo!

Only if the car had PDK (and they would sell at a good price), but based on my initial googling... I'm just better off buying it new even if it was my first Porsche.

Like many have mentioned, perhaps the S may only be short lived and move on to a Turbo and then TTS.
Thanks much. Do yourself a favor and don't test drive a Turbo or TTS . . . once you do, you'll be hooked I'm afraid. If you're going to buy new, consider finding a dealer with a build slot over the next couple of months and building the car to spec. That way you'll get exactly what you want, no more no less. You'll manage a lower discount, but the car will be tailored to your specifications.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:50 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

+1 my first new car was many years ago as a teenager and opted for the base model because of cost. after changes and mods, it slightly surpassed the more "sporty" model, but costed me quite a bit more since i did it after the initial purchase. I learned the hard way just get the better model from the start.

carrera base or s model. you certainly can't go wrong with either as both are wonderful cars. for me, it was never a choice between the base or the s model, but the s model and the turbo. after a few attempts i ended up with the turbo.

all in all, base or s model, i'm confident you'll likely be happier with the s model. you'll discover the s model has more standard equipment and optional equipment available compared to the base model. with financing involved, why will you let a couple hundred bucks in monthly payment make your decision when you're already paying so much?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

You definitely should consider a 2014 that a dealer has left in inventory as you can get quite a substantial discount if the dealer really wants to move it. Otherwise, yes, a preowned car can save you a lot and allow you to learn what you really like in the cars and put you in a better position if you find that you want to upgrade to certain options that your car does not have. Go to a dealer and sit in some cars and see which seats fit you best. I wish I had the 18 way seats in my car as it is a totally different shape and contour.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:13 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Not sure where you are located, but here's one in New Jersey that might be what you want....I can see it has PASM, Bose, Ventilated Seats, Heated Seats, MF Steering Wheel, Sport Chrono, the cool wheels, reversing camera but no sport exhaust. Don't let the exhaust be a deal breaker for you - as you can do what I did and stick on an aftermarket system (I installed a TUBI on mine) that is nicer than the Sport Exhaust for not much more $$$. Alternatively the dealer can install the factory Sport Exhaust for just about the same price as when the car is optioned....there's a kit for the car and you can negotiate that into the deal. This one is really nicely set up without being over the top.

http://www.porscheofatlanticcity.com...eb01a46cb0.htm

www.cargrus.com has the most powerful search engine I've found for cars.....that's where I found this one. There are others there you can look at as well.

Last edited by drcollie; 10-30-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is a $2,980 option on the base Carrera that is included in the $14,600 Carrera S option. It permanently lowers the ride height 10 mm (3/8") and provides a console switch to turn the shock absorber electronic control units on or off to firm up the ride. The PASM switch does not raise or lower the car. PASM Sport is an additional option for $890 that gives you harder & shorter springs and the anti-roll bars on the front and rear are stiffer, further lowering the ride height permanently by an additional 10mm for a lower stance of 20mm (3/4") from the base Carrera. PASM Sport does not add any further console switches, but it does make the spoiler rise further up in back and provides a "more aggressive" front spoiler . . . pretty much acknowledging the potential for scraping with the lowered stance.
The Carrera S option includes much more than just the larger more powerful 3.8 engine. The Carrera S option adds twin pipes (PSE is a further option with a console switch for $2,950) that are a $950 option on a base Carrera, PTV Steering that is a $1,350 option on the base Carrera, 20" Carrera S wheels that are a $1,560 option on the base Carrera, the above mentioned PASM suspension that is a $2,980 option on the base Carrera and requires adding a 20" wheel option, and the red brake calipers with six-piston front calipers that Sun Coast sells aftermarket for $1,950. That leaves the 400 horsepower 3.8 engine in the S adding the remaining $5,795 to the $14,600 Carrera S option.
If you plan to add many of the options included in the Carrera S package it often makes sense to spend a little more and get the Carrera S.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:54 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

If your primary concern is blasting along rough roads with no damage and you're bending wheels on your CLS and X6, I think the Porsche you should be looking at is one of the SUVs!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:50 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

If you want a 7 speed I think this is a very strong deal from a porsche dealer.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...5694/overview/
Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 AM
ahughes3214
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer one of your questions directly, I live in upstate NY near the finger-lakes and frequent the Rochester/Buffalo areas. I have a C4S with SPASM, PDCC, and 20 inch wheels. No issues or damage to wheels after 4000 miles this summer on some not so great roads. Just an occasional scrape on the front air dam; no big deal. I set the tire pressures to the comfort setting and that made a difference in the ride. I have traveled up to six hours straight in the car and it was fine for me, my wife, and 7 year old daughter in the back. No complaints about comfort or ride. If on grooved or damaged concrete (I90 near Rochester/Canandaigua), sometimes the wheel noise is a little loud.

Regarding some other questions you or others mentioned...
I would recommend you take the time, check the options first hand if possible, and order exactly what you want. I bought my first 911 (997 GTS) from the lot and compromised a little. That turned out to be a bad idea (for me). IMO the money saved at this price point by taking inventory on hand is not worth it. I then turned around and got exactly what I wanted and dumped what I found I was unhappy with.

For what its worth, below is just some feedback from my experience:

1) I got rid of the manual trans., I always had manuals and thought it was a natural fit for the 911. But after making the mistake of test driving a 991 PDK, I discovered it was time to change. The PDK with SD wheel and paddles in the 991 is excellent. All the fun of shifting yourself, without a left pedal. Plus-Plus for me. It also allowed me to get the Adaptive Cruise Control which I highly recommend.

2) I got rid of the multi-function wheel. I found the stalk in the 991 to be very useable and the volume control is right next to the shift lever. That change allowed me to get the SD wheel with paddles.

3) I had a partial leather interior in my GTS; thought I would be fine with it and was not. The leather interior with deviated stitching is fantastic and a must in this price range (again IMO).

4) I test drove a TTS on two separate occasions. The acceleration will amaze you. It is a fantastic but very different car from the non turbo. You should try it if budget allows, I would not consider a “trade-up”, get what you want from the start, as the depreciation hit is not worth it. I speak from experience.

5) Seats – make sure you and especially your significant other test the fit.

6) Some will tell you sport-chrono is not that great or useless. Test it; I drive in Sport Plus mode all the time and manually shift. It is splendid. When traveling long distances or I want to take it easy, I put it in normal mode and it drives like any other car.

7) I like the PSE and would get it again. It is good however that you can turn it off; especially on those long trips.

8) The only questionable item in all my selections is the Bose system. It is fine, but does not knock me out. If I were to do it again, I would probably retest and consider the Burmeister option.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Vox

What are some of the mandatory (must have) options for S?
Add a "4" to it.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

you better stop reading, otherwise, your must have list would go longer and longer
Old 10-31-2014, 12:43 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 171 Posts

Given a choice between an S and a non-S, there aren't very many people that would not chose the S. I mean more standard options and more power ... how could you go wrong?

However, everything is a compromise. Do you want to spend the money on the S?

For me, I didn't want to go any slower from car to car. So from my M coupe, I had to get the Cayman S. From the Caymans S I had to get a 997.2 non-S. My criteria? Color and cheapest car under warranty. Call me cheap. I have psychological thresholds on price. M was in the 30s. CS was in the 40s. 997.2 was in the 50s. You see the trend. I'm probably a bit more price conscious than others on here.

If I want speed. My motorcycle provides that. Next car in 5 or so years ... probably an S.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:00 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vox
Does anyone have any experience with the LED headlight?
I don't, but I ordered them sight unseen for my next car. Well actually I've seen them in the dealership, but never driven with them. My sales guy raves about them. This will be my 7th Porsche from him and he's never steered me wrong, so I figured what the heck.

But the LED's were about the last option I added to the car and I had to think about them for a while. I'll find out in January...

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS
Old 10-31-2014, 01:38 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
If you want a 7 speed I think this is a very strong deal from a porsche dealer.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...5694/overview/
That one is priced low because it was in an accident.
Body and structural damage.

Quick Reply: Base or S for a noob?