Sponsored by:

Base or S for a noob?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
A low profile tire - either 19" or 20" won't make any difference if crashing into a pothole, you'll tear up the tire or bend a rim. 30 and 35 Series profiles are not made for pothole strikes, there's no real difference on either wheel size. PASM won't make a difference, either.
Super helpful. I was wondering if the weight of the car would help with the pothole, but it appears that it doesn't make any difference and *** super thank you for the heads up on PASM.

I've had 25 tires on a 20" on the CLS and eating up the tires like no tomorrow; 30 is not doing any better.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yes. Sport PASM is different. AKA SPASM.

10 mm lower
Sport lip in front
Stiffer suspension

You're the best!!! so many damn acronyms (and diff options) on a Porsche ;-)
Old 10-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zathras
Personally I much prefer the MF steering wheel. I get a LOT more value out of having system controls at my thumbtips than I would having shift paddles instead of shift buttons.

As far as base vs S, well we'd all rather have the S, and true that it will help the resale- but it's also over $14k more on the msrp... I've had my base 911 almost 2 months now and love it. But then I've never owned an S. If I had, I may not want to go back to a base... ignorance is bliss.
But... you got the cab version correct?
Old 10-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by docmalone
I say get an S. I started with a base coupe, liked it a lot but didn't LOVE it. I then got the S which I loved so much... I was crazy about it, and willing to shell out the major dough for a TTS because I wanted more more more more more......

If you get an S and don't love it, you are not a Porsche person.
Base = vrooom

S = Vrrroooommmmmmm

TTS = another league ;-)
Old 10-30-2014, 04:57 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
If you are worried or concerned w PASM on the NE roads, don't even think of Sport PASM. Tire pressures w 20" wheels (even 19"s) makes a big difference in ride comfort. Enjoy the search &
decision.
Great feedback!
Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Grunty
If you choose to get a base model I think pasm is necessary (standard on s model).
The other must have IMO is sport exhaust and leather interior. Last two are
Obviously personal choice but I have 2 Porsches and I find the one without sport exhaust less engaging and the one without leather interiors bit plasticy looking.
Oh yeah and sport design steering wheel is also a really good idea to get.
I have dumb question... on a cab = I suppose you hear the exhaust and even more with the sport exhaust, but what about on a coupe?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:00 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PSE = money well spent, either on a cab or a coupe. I had it on my C2S, and loved it. It's true that it's "just sound," but it also enhances the entire driving experience IMHO.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I would personally go for the S. As one of the posters replied above there are very few people here if any at all that would wish they have bought a base car after buying an S. I am however sure that if you buy the base car you will likely wish you had bought an S.
I always buy my cars slightly used. If money is an issue than buy yourself a used S with low miles. I would get the PDk transmission and sport Chrono package. In my opinion all the other options are optional. That said my car was very highly optioned and I was very lucky to find it.
Good luck with your search that part is a lot of fun in my opinion.
Hi Neil - I see that you're in NJ/PA; how's the ride on e.g. Turnpike? the roads are not always perfect.

Currently working with 2 different dealers and they have multiple S with quiet a bit of options loaded - averaging $128k to 135k and might be able to do 10% off on the MSRP - the problem is the color (looking for White).

Thought of buying used, but there's almost no difference on price. One of the dealers have a 2014 S with 500 miles, but want $109 and 2,800 miles for $99 and so forth.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eg991
PSE = money well spent, either on a cab or a coupe. I had it on my C2S, and loved it. It's true that it's "just sound," but it also enhances the entire driving experience IMHO.
It is now on my must have "option" ;-)

Vrooom vroooooooooom
Old 10-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chuck911
Best thing you can do Vox, after studying all the great comments, is spend as much time as you can driving both models with the various options. You probably won't find the selection to do it exactly right, but do try. Keep in mind whenever driving an S that they all have PASM. PASM is a huge step up, probably the best option. Without PASM you're driving a 911 tuned the old way with one firm shock setting. The car will ride the same all the time. With PASM you'll have a much smoother ride the majority of the time just tooling around. PASM is huge. Or on the other hand, with or without you may find the car is so awesome you may not even care. Which is why it helps so much to actually drive them and find out for yourself.
Hi Chuck911 - I really appreciate the feedback! The problem is now locating a car with the right combination of options and color. Number of dealers are willing to work on the price for a 2014, but not so much if a 2015 had to be ordered.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DMoore
I think most people base their recommendations on their personal experience, so here's mine.

That's the slippery slope facing you. I've just ordered my 5th 911, a 2015 GTS.

As far as options go - the smaller the wheel diameter, the larger the sidewall. It's not that a 19" wheel is great with potholes, but it is better than a 20" wheel. The smaller wheel is perceptibly softer riding than a larger wheel, but not by a huge margin. If you get an S, you'll get the 20" wheels because they're standard with PASM and PASM is standard on the S. The only way to get 19" wheels is with a standard Carrera without PASM.

PDCC (which I have on my present car and have ordered on my next) is totally unnecessary on the street. I feel the same way about the Sport PASM (SPASM). I wouldn't have either if I didn't track my car. But since I do, I have both. I haven't seen anyone mention the ceramic brakes yet - and with good reason. Hugely expensive and totally unnecessary.

Some people love the sound of the sport exhaust. Personally, it's another "look at me" thing that I can live without. I have it, but never use it except on the track.
Hello DMoore -

This forum is really awesome! I appreciate everyone's feedback and personal experience.

I'm now set on the S (in White) - just need to locate or build a car with Sport exhaust, Bose, 14 way seat, Chrono, and a few other cosmetic/functional options.

Does anyone have any experience with the LED headlight?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:24 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Vox
Yes.

Have them. Love them. Not any better than the excellent Porsche bi-xenons. But I wanted the very cool DRL feature. The PDLS Plus is great too. Mainly the dynamic cornering light function. Hi Beam assist also works great.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:25 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vox
Hello DMoore -

This forum is really awesome! I appreciate everyone's feedback and personal experience.

I'm now set on the S (in White) - just need to locate or build a car with Sport exhaust, Bose, 14 way seat, Chrono, and a few other cosmetic/functional options.

I just returned a car to Paul Miller Porsche w/ the following specs: 2013 C2S, approx. 12,300 miles, white/ black, Carrera Classics, SC, SPASM, PSE, Premium Package Plus, 14-way seats, Bose, Multi-function wheel. It was a 7MT though and I think you may have said you're looking for a PDK. Also no clue if they'll buy the car and then try to sell it as a CPO.

I have the LEDs on my new Turbo and love them (and I was disappointed with the bi-xenons on my C2S).
Old 10-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Vox
Intermediate

I have the LEDs on my new Turbo and love them (and I was disappointed with the bi-xenons on my C2S).
Yes. Have them. Love them. Not any better than the excellent Porsche bi-xenons. But I wanted the very cool DRL feature. The PDLS Plus is great too. Mainly the dynamic cornering light function. Hi Beam assist also works great.
It looks like it's a MUST - Thank you guys!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Vox
It looks like it's a MUST - Thank you guys!
Not necessarily. Very expensive. There are other options I would want before LED headlights. I was just fortunate enough to have my cake and eat it too.

Quick Reply: Base or S for a noob?