Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 4 months in the M4 I have decided to return to the 991 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The new BMW M models are not for everybody, two of my friends are picking up new cars via euro delivery next year. One is getting an M3 the other is getting an M4 convertible. They are people who live busy more executive lives so they need a car that can do everything. The 991 is a sports car, the new M4 is a GT with a lot of power, almost a six series with a shorter body. There really is no comparison, it seems Nick jumped to the M4 out of frustration with Porsche. But now he's realizing that there really is a big difference between the two. My old 2011 M3 is nothing compared to my 997 turbo in any category. I get the feeling Nick never test drove the M4 before you ordered it otherwise he would've noticed a huge difference between the M4 and the 991
Old 01-06-2015, 05:39 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

Hey Nick,

Glad to hear that Porsche did the right thing and bought your 991 back. I too, moved on from a 997 but rather to an Audi S4 adn although its a good car - it simply isn't a 911.

I'm back on the hunt as well and would love a 991. Let's see what happens but glad to hear you are coming back into Porsche ownership.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:28 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Glad to hear that Porsche did the right thing and bought your 991 back. I too, moved on from a 997 but rather to an Audi S4 adn although its a good car - it simply isn't a 911.

I'm back on the hunt as well and would love a 991. Let's see what happens but glad to hear you are coming back into Porsche ownership.
Have both!! My 911 is my summer car, but in the winter, I drive an S4. For climates like ours, the S4 with a set of good snow tires can't be beat for all around performance and safety in the deep stuff.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Have both!! My 911 is my summer car, but in the winter, I drive an S4. For climates like ours, the S4 with a set of good snow tires can't be beat for all around performance and safety in the deep stuff.
I guess there are quite a few like us. I have a B8 S4 that I'm keeping for winter/foul weather duty as I await my GTS due in March. My S4 is mounted on Pilot Alpins, and I feel invincible in the white stuff. I try not to think about March too much to make the days pass more quickly.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:26 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Still restless
I guess there are quite a few like us. I have a B8 S4 that I'm keeping for winter/foul weather duty as I await my GTS due in March. My S4 is mounted on Pilot Alpins, and I feel invincible in the white stuff. I try not to think about March too much to make the days pass more quickly.
I've got Conti Winter Sport 3Ds on my B8. Love them. Drove thru the New Hampshire mountains in a a 16-inch snow storm the night before Thanksgiving. Passed 12 cars off the road in a four hour trip (normally it's two), and the S4 plowed through it all. Invincible is the right word.

btw, my GTS was unloaded about an hour ago.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

I've got Conti Winter Sport 3Ds on my B8. Love them. Drove thru the New Hampshire mountains in a a 16-inch snow storm the night before Thanksgiving. Passed 12 cars off the road in a four hour trip (normally it's two), and the S4 plowed through it all. Invincible is the right word.

Jealous. I am still waiting for the dealer to call me to say CN rail has released the car from the train station where it has been for 8 days.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Wow! I'm envious. If it weren't for winter, I'd be going crazy while waiting for my GTS. Please post pics once you have the car.

With the S4, I no longer have to think about what roads I should take when conditions are questionable; I just go the way I please. It is liberating.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:04 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

The S4 is the bomb in the snow hands down...I simply can't afford to have both.

If I do return to 911 ownership then it will be the awd variant either in C4 or C4S.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:41 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 2016 Euro delivery

Nick, Any idea yet when in2016 you will take European delivery. Stopped by Beverly Hills Porsche on New Year's Day and specc'd a 2016 C4S fully optioned that comes to $145 K. Like you, I don't care for the GTS because I don't like the standard options on that model (except for the power kit).
I expect the facelifted 991 will be introduced in the Fall. Heard rumors about a Turbo option on a 4 cylinder power plant but I will most likely stick with the tried and true 6.

Quick Reply: After 4 months in the M4 I have decided to return to the 991 911