Sponsored by:

Upgraded to a Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 02:06 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgraded to a Turbo

Hi all - in honor of my 40th birthday back in September, I decided to take advantage of the PFS 12-month pull-ahead program and I placed an order for a 991 Turbo. Specs are as follows: Agate Grey, Leather Interior in Black/ Garnet Red, Sport Chrono, Sunroof in Glass, LED Headlights, Premium Package Plus, 18-way seats, Power Folding Mirrors, Smokers Package, Porsche Crest on Headrests, and Colored Wheel Center Caps. I picked up my new car from the dealer yesterday. Although it was sad saying goodbye to my 2013 C2S 7MT (and a bit melancholy because I'm leaving the manual fold), I was ecstatic to welcome the new Turbo into my stable. Quick reactions after just a few drives . . . all I can say is wow. The PDK is telepathic. The car has incredible, otherworldly, thrust. It is just insanely quick. The 18-way seats are great; so much more supportive than the 14-way seats. The LED headlights are night and day better than the bi-xenons. For those on the fence, get them. The sound is pretty good for a forced induction engine, but candidly, coming from a C2S with PSE, it's not the same. The leather interior (especially in the two-tone variant) is stunning. It's such a major upgrade over the standard interior I had in my C2S. Some iPhone pics I took at the dealer are attached. More to come.
Attached Images      
Old 10-28-2014, 02:17 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations! Beautiful.

Any pictures of the interior?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Rallybagger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats - beautiful setup!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:37 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

AWESOME. Agate over black/garnet? Perfect, perfect, perfect. Thank god the Turbo isn't available with an MT. I'd be in soooo much trouble.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:19 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
The PDK is telepathic. The car has incredible, otherworldly, thrust. It is just insanely quick.
In a PM to Bob (Hammer911) several months ago I said that if Porsche goes all-turbo, whatever small loss there may be in throttle response will be more than made up for in massively greater torque. Since then we've already had one article opining the S will be nearly as powerful as your Turbo. Of course nobody believes it. Porsche has too long a history of small incremental power increases. But what you just said is what I expect a lot of people to be saying. (Including the pro-forma menial tranny comments.) For every one complaining about the FI, ten will gush about the ft/lbs. For the average guy who just wants a car that makes everything from passing cars to climbing mountain passes impossibly easy, nothing beats a Turbo. Just get yourself a good laser jammer, a guy in a Cessna, and a good lawyer and you're all set.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:25 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Lovely! Congrats!

By the way, what are the specifics of the 12-month pull ahead program?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:21 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all for the kind wishes! Will post some pics of the interior when time permits. The deviating stitching in the two-tone interior is really stunning. The pull-ahead program permits you to exit a lease on a 2013 Carrera up to 12 months early, provided that you lease or finance a new Porsche through PFS (doesn't have to be another 911, AFAIK). PFS will waive up to 12 remaining payments on the old car. The fine print says that the 12 payments are capped at $30k, but this will cover most any lease on any car.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:22 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuck911
In a PM to Bob (Hammer911) several months ago I said that if Porsche goes all-turbo, whatever small loss there may be in throttle response will be more than made up for in massively greater torque. Since then we've already had one article opining the S will be nearly as powerful as your Turbo. Of course nobody believes it. Porsche has too long a history of small incremental power increases. But what you just said is what I expect a lot of people to be saying. (Including the pro-forma menial tranny comments.) For every one complaining about the FI, ten will gush about the ft/lbs. For the average guy who just wants a car that makes everything from passing cars to climbing mountain passes impossibly easy, nothing beats a Turbo. Just get yourself a good laser jammer, a guy in a Cessna, and a good lawyer and you're all set.
Thanks Chuck! I just hope there are no cops flying in a Cessna trailing me.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:27 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
The pull-ahead program permits you to exit a lease on a 2013 Carrera up to 12 months early, provided that you lease or finance a new Porsche through PFS (doesn't have to be another 911, AFAIK). PFS will waive up to 12 remaining payments on the old car. The fine print says that the 12 payments are capped at $30k, but this will cover most any lease on any car.
No kidding. Hmm. Is this a promotional program, or is it something they always do, normally?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

I took advantage of the pull ahead as well. It seems like it has been available for the past few years. Dumped my C2 cab for a TT Cab a year earlier then expected as a result.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
No kidding. Hmm. Is this a promotional program, or is it something they always do, normally?
There usually appears to be some sort of pull-ahead program in effect. The 12 month pull-ahead on 2013 Carreras has been in effect since July, and has continuted in the fourth quarter. Prior to July, there was a 3 month pull-ahead on 2013 Carreras but a 12 month pull-ahead on 2012 models. So it looks like once PFS gets to a point where they're seeking used models of your vintage, you should be good with the program for at least a few months.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Hmm, maybe I should lease…? I just traded in my '12 C2S for a Turbo to be delivered in December. I always just pay the difference to get my new Porsche but maybe the lease deal is better. I can't write it off for work.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Congrats. Love the red/black interior.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:06 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in why you say the LEDs are better than then bi-xenons? It seems in the US they are limited to the same light output and you lose the (what I think are cool) LED strip DRLs and instead get four bright dots, which I just don't think look good.

I would love to hear what you think the differences are...?

Of course it's really frustrating that even cheap cars like the new Miata have LEDs standard yet Porsche charges a fortune for them.... Grrrrr
Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

What dealership? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Upgraded to a Turbo