Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE Actuator Solenoid location '14 991S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:55 PM
dave w
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PSE Actuator Solenoid location '14 991S?

Anybody have a picture or diagram that shows the physical location in the engine bay of the PSE solenoid for the actuators on the exhaust system? I can't seem to locate it.... The one with the orange plug on the GT3's....

Thanks
David
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Dave, go look at Renlister's Money journal on the 991 GT3 Forum. He has some recent photos that might help you. And send him a PM he might know.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:14 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dave w
Anybody have a picture or diagram that shows the physical location in the engine bay of the PSE solenoid for the actuators on the exhaust system? I can't seem to locate it.... The one with the orange plug on the GT3's....

Thanks
David
Curious..... R you going to replace, or are you thinking about modifying so that valves never shut? I had the solenoid fail at one point earlier this year, and it threw some other error codes / yellow dash warnings that didn't seem related. If you do some modification you may end up with other fall-out. I do believe you can simply remove the vacuum hose and plug so that the valves are always open.... If that is what you are after.

I'll be following your thread. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:42 PM
dave w
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I flipped through all 12 pages of the GT3 journal and all I saw was a lot of detailing photos and a few where he disconnected the vacuum lines from the valves on the front muffler. Nothing about the solenoid. I know there are two schools of thoughts on whether it is better to disconnect the hoses and plug them to keep the mufflers in sport mode or if you should unplug the solenoid. People have had issues and successes with both methods on their cars. I don't like the theory behind capping the hoses as I feel the valves will be applying vacuum to a dead end and eventually fail as a result. I am also contemplating adding a switch to active when I want. its a siple 12v signal.

jawell1, yes you will get a error for the cooling system if there is a fault in the vacuum loop anywhere as the actuators for the trans coolers are also tied in.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

You have an email...
Old 10-25-2014, 10:01 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

jawell1, yes you will get a error for the cooling system if there is a fault in the vacuum loop anywhere as the actuators for the trans coolers are also tied in.
Not necessarily. I had the exhaust flap changeover valve fail and it threw no error codes. It did, however, cause a really annoying cabin drone at around 2000-2500 rpm (non-PSE).

My new, fourth generation, valve came with a new electric connection and wiring adapter. Maybe they finally got it right this time?
Old 10-26-2014, 03:41 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hijack this but seemed relevant to an issue I'm having.... With PSE on I've noticed a marked resonance in the cabin in lower revs (when the PSE 'booms'). I'm pretty sure it was not there as new and is a recent effect. With PSE off the car is silky smooth... So it would seem to be an acoustic resonance effect rather than a mechanical issue.....
Does this sound like a vacuum valve issue to anyone .... Anyone else have this issue? Thanks all in advance! Maybe PM me to avoid this thread veering away from the original post
Old 10-26-2014, 09:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Sorry to hijack this but seemed relevant to an issue I'm having.... With PSE on I've noticed a marked resonance in the cabin in lower revs (when the PSE 'booms'). I'm pretty sure it was not there as new and is a recent effect. With PSE off the car is silky smooth... So it would seem to be an acoustic resonance effect rather than a mechanical issue..... Does this sound like a vacuum valve issue to anyone .... Anyone else have this issue? Thanks all in advance! Maybe PM me to avoid this thread veering away from the original post
That's your sound symposer. Normal.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:51 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
I'm pretty sure it was not there as new and is a recent effect. ... Does this sound like a vacuum valve issue to anyone ....
If a recent effect, a likely culprit is an inoperable valve. Dealer can ping them through computer and see if they are awake and working.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:31 PM
dave w
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by duxsi
You have an email...
Exactly what I needed. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:29 PM
dave w
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbroen
Not necessarily. I had the exhaust flap changeover valve fail and it threw no error codes.
a bad valve won't do it, correct. The system doesn't know if the valve is actually physically opening or not. I was talking a vacuum leak. This throws a coolant system error. Another reason I think its better to disconnect the solenoid than cap the tubes.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Exactly what I needed. Thanks!
Care to share? If something personal, no worries. But I would think that anything that might be helpful to others regarding the topic at-hand, it would be worth posting publicly.... Or did I miss something??
Old 10-27-2014, 01:32 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Sorry - it was from another site and I didn't want to annoy the mods here by breaking any rules.
Will send the link to you in a PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:49 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by duxsi
Sorry - it was from another site and I didn't want to annoy the mods here by breaking any rules.
Will send the link to you in a PM.
Got it! Thanks much.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Aende
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

duxsi, I need that too. Could you send me this too?

Many many thanks,
Aende

Quick Reply: PSE Actuator Solenoid location '14 991S?