Iphone Control on PCM

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:53 PM
MD991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iphone Control on PCM

Hi All!

Is it possible to control your music on your iPhone (6) through the PCM or is it just a bluetooth stream?

I was hoping to be able to see playlists, genres, etc on the PCM as you do when you plug in an iPod.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

iPhone and iPod should work the same way as far as PCM control of music is concerned. I know my 6+ (iOS 8.1) works just fine.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes. But I found sticking an iPod in the glove box is easier and fires up faster.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:22 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't even know you could Bluetooth stream music from an iPhone. I thought only for calls etc. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to find everything.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:24 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I didn't even know you could Bluetooth stream music from an iPhone. I thought only for calls etc. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to find everything.
its b/c you have to pair it twice (on different screens!), once for calls and once for audio. its really a very poor experience
Old 10-26-2014, 01:00 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by systemr
its b/c you have to pair it twice (on different screens!), once for calls and once for audio. its really a very poor experience
Oh, didn't know that. Thanks!

When I stream music I usually plug it in anyway since I have an old 4S (the iPhone...Car is a 2S haha) my battery life is crap so it always needs the juice. Nice to know though.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:11 PM
MD991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am able to stream, but I can't see my playlists/genres/artist etc on the PCM as I do when I plug in an ipod. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Just make sure your PCM has the latest software update.

You can stream through bluetooth your entire itunes library from your phone to the car and all of the album data shows on the PCM. You can also access the entire library of the phone with the PCM controls so you don't have to touch your phone. I also have an Ipod plugged into the USB port in the glove box. Like others have said, it takes about 30 sec. for the bluetooth to pair but when it does you can control everything. The only time I touch the phone when I'm in the car is to hit the home button once and tell Siri what to play, who to call etc.

Cheers.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:55 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by MD991
I am able to stream, but I can't see my playlists/genres/artist etc on the PCM as I do when I plug in an ipod. Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure you have recently sync'd your phone with your itunes library on your laptop or whatever device you use to back up your phone. It should work fine after that. I find that after I have performed a sync Itunes automatically updates album art etc. the next time I get in the car. Just like when you listen to your music on your phone.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:37 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Oh, didn't know that. Thanks!

When I stream music I usually plug it in anyway since I have an old 4S (the iPhone...Car is a 2S haha) my battery life is crap so it always needs the juice. Nice to know though.
When I plug the ipod in USB port, I can't stream anymore music from my iPhone...the BT AUX disappears and I never understood why...so if you want to stream music don't have anything plugged into the USB
Old 11-03-2014, 11:50 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
When I plug the ipod in USB port, I can't stream anymore music from my iPhone...the BT AUX disappears and I never understood why...so if you want to stream music don't have anything plugged into the USB
I've been experiencing the same problem. If I'm streaming from the phone and then connect an iPod via usb, the streaming stops.

In addition, I can't access my iTunes library/playlists from the PCM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:36 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by systemr
This isn't how I did mine??

When you BT connect (for the very first time) to the PCM it should auto offer you BT Audio (at least it does now with iOS8). However, if it doesn't just go to the BT menu on the PCM and look for the BT Audio option. Tick it and you are good to go.

Once you plug an iPhone into the USB the BT Audio will disconnect, this is normal. If you press source, a new option will have replaced BT Audio, called iPod. What you will get additionally, is full iPod control (play lists, album artwork etc) via your PCM. You need to be hard wired plugged in for this to work. Once you disconnect the USB, BT Audio "should" reconnect. In BT Audio mode you only get the basic iPod controls (forwards, backwards, song name etc).

All that said there some issues that Porsche are aware of with the iOS and PCM connection. In my car, every now and then the BT Audio just won't connect at all, even though my BT is connected and BT Audio says it is available (you just can't select it from the source menu). When this happens the only solution I have found is to just turn the car off and wait for about 5 mins. Reconnecting and disconnecting has no effect. Porsche say, (and maybe rightly so) this is an Apple issue.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Last edited by findtom; 11-04-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: To correct spelling errors.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:45 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Just make sure your PCM has the latest software update.

You can stream through bluetooth your entire itunes library from your phone to the car and all of the album data shows on the PCM. You can also access the entire library of the phone with the PCM controls so you don't have to touch your phone. I also have an Ipod plugged into the USB port in the glove box. Like others have said, it takes about 30 sec. for the bluetooth to pair but when it does you can control everything. The only time I touch the phone when I'm in the car is to hit the home button once and tell Siri what to play, who to call etc.

Cheers.
Marcus I'm quite tech savvy and I didn't know this. Are you sure? I don't think you can see the play lists unless you plug in the phone via USB. I am also fairly sure (although these things change quickly in tech) that there isn't any bluetooth protocol yet that supports this?

However, I accept that I could be mistaken and quite wrong....
Old 08-14-2015, 08:18 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MD991
Hi All!

Is it possible to control your music on your iPhone (6) through the PCM or is it just a bluetooth stream?

I was hoping to be able to see playlists, genres, etc on the PCM as you do when you plug in an iPod.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Hello....i have the same question, and i promise that i've read all of the responses, and still no joy.

2013 Porsche 991 Carrera S.....Bose....iPhone 6.

AUX and AUX BT are both checked in the options tab.

on the PCM screen "MP3 player may have to be oper. through device itself"

iPhone pairs via Bluetooth with the PCM........iPhone playlists, artists, songs do NOT show up, i'm only able to forward or reverse through my iPhone music library.

if the iPhone or an iPod are connected via the AUX in the glovebox, then the iPhone playlists, artists, and songs DO show up.

i could've sworn that i've seen my playlists, artists, and songs on my iPhone when paired via Bluetooth....but all of a sudden i can't (dealer had to do a "handover/reset recently due to some PCM glitch, but the PCM version is latest and greatest).

can you see your playlists, artists and songs (on the PCM screen) from your iPhone when paired wirelessly via Bluetooth or ONLY when cabled to the AUX in the glovebox?

many thanks in advance,
Old 08-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

"The only time I touch the phone when I'm in the car is to hit the home button once and tell Siri what to play, who to call etc. "

MarcusG:
You don't need to hit the button at all. If your iPhone is plugged in you can just say, "Hey Siri." She'll immediately go to voice control mode and you can tell her what you want without ever having to take your hands off the wheel or stick shift. Works great!

Make sure on your Siri settings under General you activate "Allow 'Hey Siri'"

Quick Reply: Iphone Control on PCM