Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Looks like the updated maps are $199-ish plus the dealership charges:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Interioraudio

"Map Update for PCM 3.1 Navigation for North America

Replaces the original maps with the latest 2014 version. The maps have an updated database with more points of interest, with over 6 million miles of road covered. The update provides 14% more points of interest, including updated restaurants, more ATMs, and more gas stations. As a result, considerably more tourist information (hotels, restaurants, parking garages/lots, services stations, etc.) are provided.

Upgrades the operating software to latest version available. This upgrade is best suited for early 2012 models.

Special Note: dealer installation and activation required, early production vehicles may need the V1.4 software update. This item is not returnable under any circumstance. File photo shown.

Fits the following models:
- All 911 Carrera Models (991 generation) - 2012.5 or newer
- All Boxster Models (981 generation) - 2013 or newer
- All Cayman Models (981 generation) - 2013 or newer

For North American cars only. If you're outside this area and you need updated maps, contact us for more information."
Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

For $200 +, why bother. You probably get better and more up to date information from your mobile apps.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
For $200 +, why bother. You probably get better and more up to date information from your mobile apps.
For me, I don't use my cell phone in the Porsches. State law is all hands free, too. Plus I don't want any charger cords of phone mounts/holders in the cars. Once I got over the Porsche's navigation learning curve, I think it works great.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:38 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I get what ezkill is saying. It would look ridiculous to just have a big black screen or plastic panel in its place. But I think in all models even without nav you get the radio screen and the other non nav ones too right? Like the vehicle info etc?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I will probably get the update eventually, maybe in 2-3 years or so. Updating after only two years seems a little silly.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:16 AM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
I'm struggling to understand this thread. I use the sat nav frequently here in the UK and find it easy and accurate. My wife's vw unit by comparison (and the bmw unit before it) were unfathomable...
So is this down to my 'tolerance' or is the UK system better???
P.s. I keep noticing the cd slot and thinking I will need to feed it one day.... When I find a silver disc and want to show my daughter 'how we used to live'
I'm sure it's fine if you just use nav for directions. In a heavy traffic city like LA I use Waze to save time, to get police, road debris, accident warnings, and have it on all the time even if I am traveling short distances. None of the built in car Navs work as well even when they have traffic data. I would pay $10 to have in car Nav as an option (big screen is better) but I would easily pay thousands for a heads up display of Waze.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
I'm sure it's fine if you just use nav for directions. In a heavy traffic city like LA I use Waze to save time, to get police, road debris, accident warnings, and have it on all the time even if I am traveling short distances. None of the built in car Navs work as well even when they have traffic data. I would pay $10 to have in car Nav as an option (big screen is better) but I would easily pay thousands for a heads up display of Waze.
+1
Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
+2
Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the US version say, "Please" before each turn? I don't remember the Nav in my US 997.1 said "Please" but my UK/ HK version 991 does that.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 AM
Harold1898
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It works perfectly down under in Sydney town.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Does the US version say, "Please" before each turn? I don't remember the Nav in my US 997.1 said "Please" but my UK/ HK version 991 does that.
Depends on the voice you choose. The "English" one does, the "American" one doesn't. I use the former, my wife uses the latter.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:08 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The POI function is weak. The address entry is simple though and directions are accurate.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by clangpap
Depends on the voice you choose. The "English" one does, the "American" one doesn't. I use the former, my wife uses the latter.
Wow, seems like that would be an annoying waste of time. Sort of like voice mailboxes that spend 10 seconds laboriously telling you how to leave a message every time you call.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:39 AM
AzCoronaDog
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetsky
For traffic, does anyone use the XM traffic services?
I do. I have it in our Jeep Grand Cherokee too, and it's fairly good. I also use the traffic on Google Maps on my smartphone sometimes, and it's fairly good also.

The key word is "fairly". Neither one is always 100% accurate, but not too bad either.

But I like the bigger screen and convenience of the built in system better than trying to use the little screen on the phone. However, I hate that the maps on the built in system are always outdated, and the cost to update them is ridiculous. Garmin offers lifetime maps for $89, so I don't understand why each update for the car is $300.

So I totally agree with the previous comments that a great solution would be to make the built in screen work as an extension of a smartphone. Seems like it would be cheaper than contracting with a 3rd party for a full system, and I would actually feel better about the cost because it would be so much more versatile.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with Navigation