Sponsored by:

Order freeze date this week - Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 PM
SpotP7
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, man.
Really helps. The number of very sound comments in such a short time is pretty amazing.
These are great. Much appreciated.
So far things are turning browner, camera is looking good, more wheels sound wise but...
Please keep the advice coming.
Scott
Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Look carefully at cars at the dealership with the standard pebble grain vinyl on the dash and door tops, then look at a car with leather. Most dealerships will have a Turbo with full leather to look at. The smooth leather with the beautiful french seam stitching is something you will look at every time you drive the car. Cars with the full leather interior will have a separate panel in the passenger side of the dash top for the air bag. Easy way to tell full leather.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Samp4
Racer

For me - If it doesn't have full leather - I would not buy. $100,000 + without full leather - no way. I realize others use their car differently than I do and I appreciate that. I don't track and I like the luxury of my DD. Others track and think it silly to spend the money. You have to decide what you like and what you will pay. I can say that I get in my car and really enjoy the look and feel of the leather.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:54 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by SpotP7
All,

First post. Thank you for this friendly and very educational forum. It has taught me a bunch about Porsches the past couple months.

I have a few questions, because the order/build process for my just ordered Carrera 4 coupe moved along very quickly. Likely delivery date February 1, order freeze date is this week. This is going to be pretty much a daily driver (in Maryland), but will use another car in real snow. Some of these questions have been addressed in other threads, but some of those are older, and I am wondering about current perspectives. Feel free to comment on any or all. Your thoughts and experience are much appreciated.

- Can anyone who has a rear camera comment? How helpful is it, and how about the front and rear sensors? I especially wonder about whether the front sensor picks up low parking curbs, or is it pointing too high to be of help? I have heard both yes and no. I've never imagined I would ever want such features, but the rear camera seems especially useful? And parking curb avoidance would be great. What is your experience?

- Friends and family tell me to get black (actually black metallic), but the browns keep calling. Anyone who has or has experience with the mahogony metallic or anthracite brown have any comments? I've never actually seen either in the flesh, and going only on internet photos is difficult.

- Anyone who got the rear wiper that feels it really isn't helpful?

- Silly, and obviously doesn't affect the order, but what do you really do about cupholders / drinks?

- And finally, heresy -- I am considering going to all season tires after the first set wears out this coming year. I don't like the idea of storing and swapping wheels twice a year, and driving in snow tires for four months (because of temperature as much or more than snow) seems somewhat undesirable.

I could ask a lot more questions, but I fear the answers could cost me money...

Thanks very much,
Scott
Welcome.

-- I generally pass on parking enhancements (sensors, camera) and rear wiper, as I am in the crazy minority of 911 owners who still hold onto the idea that the 911 is a sports car. So I'll leave these issues to others.

-- Both browns are outstanding. It's a shame more people don't order them. But I've never ordered either, so shame on me, too.

-- Cupholders are included free of charge (Porsche is generous that way). If you must, I recommend water over cranberry juice.

-- As for year-round tires, I can't comment because I am too busy recovering from the myocardial infarction that kicked in when I read that part.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM
SpotP7
6th Gear

Sportscentury,
Still laughing. If it helps your cardiac stent procedure, I am having a hard time finding that a good all season option even exists.
Thanks all, again. Loving the advice, and the order is getting firmed up as I read and reread everyone's posts.
Scott
Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 PM
SpotP7
6th Gear

Thank you all.
Freeze date supposedly 10/24 (though am told it can move closer).

I have changed the order, with your help this way:
- Changed from metallic black to mahogany. (Though still have never seen it in the flesh - am scheduled to drive north of Baltimore to see a gentleman's mahogony Cayenne -- very nice man. In case.)
- Ordered the rear camera.
- No wiper.
- Extra wheels. Still have time there I guees. My wife has been very understanding about this purchase, but if I bring home four wheels on top of the purchase, I may look to see if they'll fit in the hall closet.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:36 PM
PDX991
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kudos on the C4 order! I have the mahogany metallic and it's beautiful. The color conveys more understated luxury than the other colors available. I have it with the umber leather interior and it's a great combo, more boardroom elegance than barebones sports car.

Downside is that it's a little like black though and shows more dirt. The anthracite would hide it better. I have some pics on a thread I started a few weeks ago if you want to look it up.

I have the wiper and I live the Pacific NW and haven't used it because I'm a huge fan of Rain X. I don't even use the fronts unless I absolutely I have to. Just re-rain X every week. Also with the rear camera, you really don't need the wiper.

If you look for all-season tires, you won't find any. Only summers and snows. And you will need snows when the temperature drops. On my commute today, 57 degrees and rainy, I kicked the rear end out wide half a lane two times on new Pzeros at only 30 - 40 mph. Fun!

My friend has a 997.1 C4 that he drives on snows year round and likes them for the quieter ride. Before everyone freaks out, he also has 2 Lambos (Lm002 and Gallardo) and a Scuderia, and a Lotus for the track. So he likes the 997.1 for his pseudo daily in inclement weather.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered my car with the rear wiper. All my friends think I was making a mistake. What's wrong with wanting to see what's behind you? Especially if you drive in the snow. It's inexpensive (for Porsche) and it's hardly noticeable.

I can't help you on the other things. I will say that if I had a choice, I'd order all season tires as well, and when the OE rubber wears out, I'll be putting on the Michelin A/S+. I drive my car daily, not just on sunny Sundays.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by SpotP7
Thank you all.
Freeze date supposedly 10/24 (though am told it can move closer).

I have changed the order, with your help this way:
- Changed from metallic black to mahogany. (Though still have never seen it in the flesh - am scheduled to drive north of Baltimore to see a gentleman's mahogony Cayenne -- very nice man. In case.)
- Ordered the rear camera.
- No wiper.
- Extra wheels. Still have time there I guees. My wife has been very understanding about this purchase, but if I bring home four wheels on top of the purchase, I may look to see if they'll fit in the hall closet.
The ONLY downside of Mahogany, as others have stated, is it shows dirt more than lighter colors. It's a beautiful color.
I would think you'll have until this time next year to get extra wheels and winter tires?
Camera was a must have for me, along with vent seats.
Also think RainX does a fine job vis-s-vis the rear wiper. I don't like the look; I think it breaks up the lines of the car, but that's personal.
Congrats!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:47 AM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Saw a Mahogany Turbo drive by in Sherman Oaks and the car looks great also looks great with the matching painted wheels. The only drawback on it is that somehow people order the interior wood packages to go with the Mahogany and in my opinion wood seems out of place on modern Porsche sports cars but then again its personal taste its hard for people to agree.

Quick Reply: Order freeze date this week - Newbie questions