Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only who isnt worked up over the GTS?

Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Am I the only who isnt worked up over the GTS?

Porsche marketing at its finest!

Next up 991.2/992.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:39 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

The GTS is not something to get "worked up" about. There is absolutely no reason to change cars to "upgrade" to the GTS. However, if you were buying a well-spec'd 911 (as I was) the GTS "option package" actually saves money. For me, I'll save a few thousand bucks and get the power-kit "for free". I'm pretty pumped up about that.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
The GTS is not something to get "worked up" about. There is absolutely no reason to change cars to "upgrade" to the GTS. However, if you were buying a well-spec'd 911 (as I was) the GTS "option package" actually saves money. For me, I'll save a few thousand bucks and get the power-kit "for free". I'm pretty pumped up about that.
Exactly this. Although it would have been nice if they would have thrown in ONE new thing (like the Macan MFSW/paddles as an option if not RWS or the PDKs), it's still a great deal (in Porsche terms) if you were already going to order a heavily optioned C4S and adding the Powerkit put you in solid TT pricing.
I'll be saving thousands on my build since I wanted the X51 anyhow.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:07 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Exactly. Its a great options package. Where all the hype comes in is marketing, calling it a GTS when in fact it has nothing to set it apart as a new model. But for someone who wants all those options it is a killer deal. They could very easily have given the GTS rear axle steering and firmer GT3 suspension bushings. That's all, just the bushings. These would cost them near to nothing. In fact they could have given it GT3 steering software which would have cost them nothing! Any one of these things would have been a fig leaf to hide behind in saying its a new model. But no. Pure marketing. That doesn't stop it from being one hell of a great deal for guys like hinckley and Larry who know what they're getting. Why so many others get so excited, well, Porsche marketing at its finest!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:22 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

But they make you pay $4120 for the "GTS Communications Package" so people will know it's a GTS.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by ggreg911
Porsche marketing at its finest!

Next up 991.2/992.
pretty much!

+1

Originally Posted by Keadog
Exactly this. Although it would have been nice if they would have thrown in ONE new thing (like the Macan MFSW/paddles as an option if not RWS or the PDKs), it's still a great deal (in Porsche terms) if you were already going to order a heavily optioned C4S and adding the Powerkit put you in solid TT pricing.
I'll be saving thousands on my build since I wanted the X51 anyhow.
+1

Originally Posted by chuck911
Exactly. Its a great options package. Where all the hype comes in is marketing, calling it a GTS when in fact it has nothing to set it apart as a new model. But for someone who wants all those options it is a killer deal. They could very easily have given the GTS rear axle steering and firmer GT3 suspension bushings. That's all, just the bushings. These would cost them near to nothing. In fact they could have given it GT3 steering software which would have cost them nothing! Any one of these things would have been a fig leaf to hide behind in saying its a new model. But no. Pure marketing. That doesn't stop it from being one hell of a great deal for guys like hinckley and Larry who know what they're getting. Why so many others get so excited, well, Porsche marketing at its finest!
I think that if you look at how Porsche uses the 'GTS' brand its clear that it is *not* (nor has it ever been) a distinct model such as a GT3 or GT2 or RS variants thereof, its *always* been an 'options discount bundle'

If you want to get excited about it, do this:

1) imagine you are in the market for a new 991 S variant (coupe cabriolet)

2) login to Porsche.com, fire up the car configurator... pick your model...

3) go ahead and spec a car with Sport Design accessories, X51 ...note the price...

4) now start again, and pick the GTS variant, spec your car...

5) compare the prices... now get stoked! what's not to get excited about saving money?

Also note that if you like the wide body but not the 4WD the only way to get this is to spec a GTS ... and if you like alacantara and deviated stitching ... same deal ...

In short, what is 'at fault' here, is the beholders expectations, not the car or the marketing behind it ...

c.f 997 GTS, Cayman & Boxster GTS, Cayenne GTS ...
Old 10-15-2014, 05:43 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ggreg911
But they make you pay $4120 for the "GTS Communications Package" so people will know it's a GTS.
Again, I don't understand why that's an issue for people. If you don't want the package, you don't need to order it. But if you like carbon trim and deviated stitching (as I do) and would have spec'd it anyway (as I was), it saves money.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:54 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, I don't understand why that's an issue for people. If you don't want the package, you don't need to order it. But if you like carbon trim and deviated stitching (as I do) and would have spec'd it anyway (as I was), it saves money.
+1.

And those deviated stitchings alone would cost around $4120 if one tries to get them individually on the seats and the doors and everywhere. That's the fact. Thus, 991GTS is a great bargain. It is perhaps the greatest bargain in Porsche's current range of cars.

Last edited by coxswain; 10-15-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:00 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Larry, you're right that GTS has always been an options package not a true model. But that in itself is a departure from normal Porsche history. Unless I am mistaken, and there may be exceptions I'm unable to recall, but as far back as I can remember Porsche has always reserved the GTS type designation for a new model. Look back any time before they started using GTS. Anything with S, SC, R, GT, RSR- or even if you go back far enough E and T!- were always different models. By the same token, any variants that weren't really new models had different names- Weissach Edition, Club Coupe, Club Sport, RS America on and on right up to the "50". Sure some of these had options you couldn't order on the original model. Usually these were special colors or materials, just like the GTS.

Somewhere along the line Porsche decided its worth diluting this longstanding name brand recognition in order to promote sales with a "new" model. And yes, its a bargain. I always reiterate that. But its also shameless, overhyped marketing. Imagine if one year they came out with a GT3 that was nothing more than a regular 991 with all the nice performance options. Or an S that was nothing more than the base model with a nice package of options. People would be up in arms.

I said a while back that the way we will know if Porsche is serious about the GTS is if they give it bona fide equipment like RAS and steering or PDK from the GT3. Well, now we know. With those few additions they could easily have had a GTS that truly fit the bill of filling the gap between the S and the GT3. That's what they're claiming, but we all know it just isn't true. Still a nice car. Too bad its also a missed opportunity.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The 997 GTS was not a new model, just like the 991 GTS is not a new model.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coxswain
+1.

And those deviated stitchings alone would cost around $4120 if one tries to get them individually on the seats and the doors and everywhere. That's the fact. Thus, 991GTS is a great bargain. It is perhaps the greatest bargain in Porsche's current range of cars.
+1
Old 10-15-2014, 07:04 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by coxswain
+1.

Correctamundo. Which since its not a new model but is a sweet options package begs the question, why doesn't Porsche offer more discounted options packages? Even more to the point, why doesn't Porsche offer ANY discounted options packages?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry, you're right that GTS has always been an options package not a true model. But that in itself is a departure from normal Porsche history. Unless I am mistaken, and there may be exceptions I'm unable to recall, but as far back as I can remember Porsche has always reserved the GTS type designation for a new model.
I think you are incorrect in that assertion, at least partially.

Look back any time before they started using GTS. Anything with S, SC, R, GT, RSR- or even if you go back far enough E and T!- were always different models.
I think the problem is that you are conferring a nomenclature usage onto Porsche that does not match their usage.

By the same token, any variants that weren't really new models had different names- Weissach Edition, Club Coupe, Club Sport, RS America on and on right up to the "50". Sure some of these had options you couldn't order on the original model. Usually these were special colors or materials, just like the GTS.
What's the difference between 911 "RS America" and "911 Carerra 2 GTS" ... its name ... they both denote optioned variants of a base 911 generation

Somewhere along the line Porsche decided its worth diluting this longstanding name brand recognition in order to promote sales with a "new" model. And yes, its a bargain. I always reiterate that. But its also shameless, overhyped marketing. Imagine if one year they came out with a GT3 that was nothing more than a regular 991 with all the nice performance options. Or an S that was nothing more than the base model with a nice package of options. People would be up in arms.

I said a while back that the way we will know if Porsche is serious about the GTS is if they give it bona fide equipment like RAS and steering or PDK from the GT3. Well, now we know. With those few additions they could easily have had a GTS that truly fit the bill of filling the gap between the S and the GT3. That's what they're claiming, but we all know it just isn't true. Still a nice car. Too bad its also a missed opportunity.
I guess we will have to agree to differ, I never anticipated a car that was essentially some incremental between the S and GT3 ... not a watered down GT3 nor a steroidal S ... the 'margin' is too narrow... I just dont get your obsession with them being serious about the GTS ... I actually dont think they are claiming that the GTS fills the gap between the S and the GT3 ... I think they are positioning the GTS as the "fully optioned" top of the S range...

either way this is a pretty pointless debate, there is no right nor wrong ... only opinions... I think the GTS is exactly what a number of people on RL accurately predicted it would be... a discounted option bundle, just like the last one, just like the Cayman and the Boxster...and pretty much like the Cayenne and Panamera, and I'll wager like the Macan GTS that is sure to materialize sooner rather than later.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Correctamundo. Which since its not a new model but is a sweet options package begs the question, why doesn't Porsche offer more discounted options packages? Even more to the point, why doesn't Porsche offer ANY discounted options packages?
wait for this to come back:

Old 10-15-2014, 07:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think that if you look at how Porsche uses the 'GTS' brand its clear that it is *not* (nor has it ever been) a distinct model such as a GT3 or GT2 or RS variants thereof, its *always* been an 'options discount bundle' If you want to get excited about it, do this: 1) imagine you are in the market for a new 991 S variant (coupe cabriolet) 2) login to Porsche.com, fire up the car configurator... pick your model... 3) go ahead and spec a car with Sport Design accessories, X51 ...note the price... 4) now start again, and pick the GTS variant, spec your car... 5) compare the prices... now get stoked! what's not to get excited about saving money? Also note that if you like the wide body but not the 4WD the only way to get this is to spec a GTS ... and if you like alacantara and deviated stitching ... same deal ... In short, what is 'at fault' here, is the beholders expectations, not the car or the marketing behind it ... c.f 997 GTS, Cayman & Boxster GTS, Cayenne GTS ...

+1

Exactly this ^^^.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I the only who isnt worked up over the GTS?