Sponsored by:

my new 991 - kind of a saga

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:23 AM
PDX991
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool my new 991 - kind of a saga

After lurking for a long, long time. I gave up my 987S Limited Edition (Orange) for a family hauler: a CPO demo 991 4S. I test drove many cars looking for something as fun as the Porsche, but nothing came close. The M3 had good handling, but it wasn't that much of an improvement for around town as my B5 S4 that it was worth giving up my 987S for. The S5 was gorgeous with a beautiful interior and a great sounding engine but the steering was awful. My boys are only 2 1/2 and 3 so they'll fit in the back of a 911 for at least another 4 - 5 years (hopefully). The 997 was great, but it was very loud and I do need to make phone calls while driving occasionally. Everything I heard from the forums was that the road noise was too much for phone calls.

After I test drove a 991S, I became obsessed. I combed Autotrader and the Porsche CPO website search engine several times a day. On a Saturday morning, the Porsche CPO website listed a 2013 CPO 991 S that had all the options I wanted (admittedly weird combo but I want a daily driver GT with back seats): full leather, Burmester, sunroof, 7MT, Sport Exhaust. It had one accident listed but it was still CPO'd. And it was a reasonable price from my research on Autotrader.

I emailed Suncoast immediately but I'm on the west coast and didn't hear any response. They're closed Sunday. On Monday I finally heard from them and got enough info about the accident that I was comfortable making an offer, and then on Tuesday I made an offer and it was accepted including shipping. The salesman went so far as to take my license and insurance but I couldn't get a hold of him by phone or email to give a credit card # to leave a deposit. After they closed, I got an email that said, "Sorry, we took another deposit before we could get yours in." I realized I was probably the pawn in a negotiation with someone in the store who could say, "I've got someone ready to leave a deposit."

I was so frustrated that I renewed my search on Autotrader and thought I'd contact some sellers that had cars with my option preferences but were out of my price range. One guy I talked to was great and the car they were selling had every option that I wanted and then some. I told him his car was way out of my price range. He told me to make an offer, I did, and he laughed and said that wasn't feasible for management and below what they paid. He made a quick excuse to hangup leaving me feeling bad that I had wasted his time. So later that night, I emailed him with comparables from the Porsche CPO website and said that's how I came up with the number I offered for which I thought was fair. 2 days later he calls me back and tells me that he shared my email with the management and they will take me up on the offer I made. Wow.

So here's a short summary of my advice for anyone looking for a used 991, and some of it is from blog posts and other forum advice.
1. Lurk on Autotrader for at least a month and use the save function and put the price in your notation. Sold cars disappear, but that's the only way you can tell what the true selling price of the cars are. Most of the cars on Autotrader are priced too high to sell and unlike housing RMLS data, there is no "days on the market".
2. When you see a car that's at a good price with what you want, don't hesitate. That said, somewhere else they posted, "There will always be another one." And that was very true in my case.
3. The Porsche CPO website is actually a great search engine because the dealers actually put in correct info. More than half of the cars on Autotrader don't have options listed correctly. I became adept at looking at photos of the center consoles to determine what options they have.
4. Final piece of advice, year trumps mileage. In selling my 987S, my biggest regret is not driving it more. I could have driven it year round instead of just 6 - 7 months a year and still gotten pretty much the same price. Our cars are made to be driven. The turnabout that is helpful for someone like me looking for used cars, the cars lose more value by year than by mileage so low mileage cars are very reasonable.

So I took delivery of my demo 991 4S last Wednesday and I've been smiling ear to ear ever since. It is such an amazing car. I am sure everyone is curious about the options. I personally love reading about how everyone's car is optioned out. I'm embarrassed because I feel like some of the options in my car are in the dictionary next to the word "Frivolous".

2013 Mahogany Metallic C4S
-full special leather - Umber
-PDCC
-Premium Pack Plus
-Sport Exhaust
-Glass Sunroof
-Sport Chrono
-seatbacks in leather (I hope it doesn't scuff from toddler shoes)
-20" wheels painted black with colored center caps
-illuminated door sills
-rear wiper
-Burmester
-heated multifunction steering wheel
-parking assist front and rear
-electric folding mirrors
-wheel spacers

first wash detritus

car wash helpers

working on their own wheels
Old 10-08-2014, 03:41 AM
Kinesis 996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful car. My girls are 8 & 10 both are taller than average (I am 6'4) so we have to buy 13 yr old clothes - I think they will be good for another couple of years so you have many more years than you think.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:45 AM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Great color! Starting them out at an early age...Those boys are doomed...their future bank accounts will never be the same!

Last edited by ggreg911; 10-08-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:01 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations! I love that color! As for the leather seat backs, you could possibly just take their shoes off each time if it got to be a problem? I don't think it should though. Maybe a few others will chime in. What was the mileage on the beast?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Everything happens for a reason! Congrats and enjoy in good health!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:44 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

That is an awesome car. I love to see other people getting these cars to really USE them, not just putt around 5 miles on the weekend. They are actually very good daily drivers and kid haulers. I have kids in mine all the time and yes, you will get a few shoes marks, but you are getting them in YOUR Porsche 911.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:23 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm... this is probably my first post on Rennlist in at least 5 years!

First, great observations and advice. I look forward to implementing your strategies in a year or so.

Second, those pictures are capturing priceless memories for your family. I can think of no higher purpose for a car.

Our '83 SC Cabriolet has been lots of fun since we bought it in 2001. Any time folks have asked me if I thought of "upgrading" it I'd answer, "I can update it... but for how we use it I'm not sure I can upgrade it!".

But we don't get to use it enough. Medicore air-conditioning keeps it from being a summer time commuter and driving it in the winter would be ridculous. I don't imagine it will ever be for sale, but I'm now realizing that a newer model could be an upgrade.

And then the Targa came out. Oh, what a 4-season delight that would be! Our boys are 10,8, & 5 so the "famly hauler" aspect is mission critical. I'm currently having more fun with a leased Fiesta ST than a Boxster could ever provide me... because the back seat lets me use the fiesty Fiesta every day while the Boxster would be a garage queen.

Please keep me posted on how useful the backseat really is. I cringe at the idea of backbacks (let alone the trombone!) getting hoisted in and out... put I'm pretty sure the kids will never complain about riding in a 911!

Good luck to you and your family!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car. Great story and advice. And, beautiful car. Love the color, and looks like your kids will enjoy helping you keep it clean. Your kids will definitely be able to fit in the back seat for a bunch more years, and they'll love the PSE. My kids (particularly my 4 year old) get such a kick out of it.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:11 PM
PDX991
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Congratulations! I love that color! As for the leather seat backs, you could possibly just take their shoes off each time if it got to be a problem? I don't think it should though. Maybe a few others will chime in. What was the mileage on the beast?
The car had 9600 miles on it. I had them run a DME scan and with the CPO they won't certify a car with over revs. The claim is that the PCNA executives are allowed to order a new car for their personal use every year and this is how he ordered it.

As for removing the shoes, that would pre-empt our other problem where they like to remove them while we're driving and then throw them out the window or sunroof.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:19 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My first post on this Forum. Just picked up my 2012 991 Carrera on Friday. WHAT A CAR! Unfortunately, my fiancée fell in love with it also and I let her drive it, so I may not get to drive it as much as I would like......

Sold a 2008 Z06 Corvette to make room in the garage. I know, I know - who would ever buy a Corvette. It was actually a pretty nice car, and I loved the 505 hp once I put new tires on it so it would hold the power, but the 911 is in another universe. Looking forward to spending some time on the forums and learning a few things.

One question: anyone have any recommendations for an extended warranty vendor, and when the best time to buy one is? The factory warranty is up 6/16, and the car has 8900 miles on it. I have heard it is advisable to get one before the car hits 10-12,000 miles.

Also, if anyone is in the Sacramento area (I will try the local forum later) does anyone have any good recommendations for an independent shop?

Oh, and one last question: not really trying to save a buck here, but do these cars really require a brake fluid flush at 2 years? I know that brake fluid attracts moisture, but I have heard more like a 5 year flush period on other cars. Anyone have any experience on this?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats! Love that color with those wheels. Now teach the kids not to throw the car wash stuff on the ground or you're going to have a car full of swirls along with the scuffed seat backs.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 PM
zathras
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
Congrats! Love that color with those wheels. Now teach the kids not to throw the car wash stuff on the ground or you're going to have a car full of swirls along with the scuffed seat backs.
Yeah, that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that pic. the only thing my microfiber mitts touch is the bucket, the gritguard, and the car.

As for the seatbacks I think you're in the market for something like these kickmats
Amazon.com : Kick Mats by Freddie and Sebbie - Luxury Car Seat Back Protectors 2 Pack - Keep Your Car Seats 100% Clean From All The Stains And Scuffmarks Left By The Kids With These Auto-Protective Seat Covers - Designed For Most Vehicles - Protect Your Investment - Comes With a Lifetime Guarantee : Child Safety Car Seat Accessories : Baby Amazon.com : Kick Mats by Freddie and Sebbie - Luxury Car Seat Back Protectors 2 Pack - Keep Your Car Seats 100% Clean From All The Stains And Scuffmarks Left By The Kids With These Auto-Protective Seat Covers - Designed For Most Vehicles - Protect Your Investment - Comes With a Lifetime Guarantee : Child Safety Car Seat Accessories : Baby

No experience with them but if I had little ones to haul around I'd sure be checking into something like that.

Oh, and nice ride- love the mahogany metallic.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

congrats to both of you...is that platinum silver? I would like to hear more about the hp difference with Carrera at 350 and zo6 at 505...
Old 10-08-2014, 07:06 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Great stuff....and outstanding detailer's team!

Quick Reply: my new 991 - kind of a saga