Sponsored by:

oCarbon.com - 991 carbon fiber project thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:20 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oCarbon.com - 991 carbon fiber project thread

Hey guys,

We've been doing a lot of random and custom 991 projects lately, so rather than clutter up the forum with a new thread every time we do something cool, I decided to keep a thread just for posting updates on what we're working on for the 991 chassis.

As always, if you see something you'd want done or have an idea for something creative, shoot me an email at matt@ocarbon.com and we'll see if we can work something out for you.

Up first is this custom set of interior trim done in a red reflections fabric. So far this is the first and only 991 set of trim we've done in this fabric, and we're also doing a few custom pieces like the door trim, the clock pod top, and the shift ****. We're only about halfway through it now (so it is still pretty lumpy), but I'll post more pics of the set as we progress on it.

This set is sold, but if someone else is interested in having a set made in this fabric, feel free to shoot me an email for a quote. We can also get this fabric in other colors, like green, blue, gold, silver, and copper.

Shifter being coated in epoxy:

Ignition trim:

Dash pieces:

Clock pod top:
Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

you guys ever think of using a negative mold of original item so the finish is flatter and without bubbles/distortions.. instead of just covering oem item?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:59 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
you guys ever think of using a negative mold of original item so the finish is flatter and without bubbles/distortions.. instead of just covering oem item?
These pieces are in production (only about halfway through, as mentioned in the original post), they will be smooth when finished.

A finished set for an Audi S5 in the same fabric:

Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Would love to see this in a diffuser
Old 10-11-2014, 04:35 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Getting a little bit further along, the epoxy is a bit thicker now so you can see how much closer it is. Once this cures after some time in the oven we'll get all the excess trimmed off and start sanding it smooth.

We've also started on a similar set with a reflective silver thread. I'll post more pics as we work through it as well.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:17 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts

Is this guy a board sponsor? See this: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ocarbon-2.html
Old 10-11-2014, 06:41 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rnl
Is this guy a board sponsor? See this: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ocarbon-2.html
I am a sponsor here.

I really do apologize that your order didn't turn out the way you wanted and it took longer than we expected, as I hate having unhappy customers. But I'm glad I was able to get you a full refund a new set of trim from Porsche once the cores came off backorder.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oCarbon
I am a sponsor here. I really do apologize that your order didn't turn out the way you wanted and it took longer than we expected, as I hate having unhappy customers. But I'm glad I was able to get you a full refund a new set of trim from Porsche once the cores came off backorder.
Yes. Thank you for the new set of trim you sent after you used my original parts for another customer without my consent or permission. Yes, that replacement set was sent to me only after I hounded you for months.

I wish the very best of luck to anyone who retains your services.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:25 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rnl
Yes. Thank you for the new set of trim you sent after you used my original parts for another customer without my consent or permission. Yes, that replacement set was sent to me only after I hounded you for months. I wish the very best of luck to anyone who retains your services.
Just so there is no misunderstanding - you never completed the project. Only after I demanded a refund and return of my parts month after they were fedexed to you did you admit you sold my parts to another customer. It then took months for you to replace my original parts.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:51 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rnl
Yes. Thank you for the new set of trim you sent after you used my original parts for another customer without my consent or permission. Yes, that replacement set was sent to me only after I hounded you for months.

I wish the very best of luck to anyone who retains your services.
Originally Posted by rnl
Just so there is no misunderstanding - you never completed the project. Only after I demanded a refund and return of my parts month after they were fedexed to you did you admit you sold my parts to another customer. It then took months for you to replace my original parts.
Lets at least be honest about this transaction, Richard.

You requested a refund and a brand new set of core trim from Porsche on 9/29/13. You had a full refund on 10/01/13 plus extra so you didn't incur any Paypal fees. I ordered you a new set of core trim from Porsche at that time. The parts were on backorder so I offered to refund you the cost of the cores as well, but you stated you wanted $600 for them even though I only pay $245 for the exact same trim. You refused at $245 refund and asked for the cores, and requested they be "perfect." Since they were on backorder, I paid for expedited shipping from Germany once they came off backorder, and additional shipping to save some more time from my drop shipper to have them shipped direct to you. You received them on 11/16/13. 6 weeks, 4 of which the trim was on backorder, 2 of which it was in transit from Germany and then to you. You didn't have to hound me for "months" for a refund or a core to get returned to you.

As for the claim that I sold "your" parts to another customer. We sold the carbon fiber trim we had manufactured with your core trim 10/23/13, 3 weeks after you had been refunded. I explained to you that removing the carbon fiber from your original core wouldn't work, as it would damage it, and we'd be unable to return it back to you in acceptable condition. I stated that I had sold the set in hopes the customer would return a mint core back to us that we could then forward to you since cores from Germany were still backordered. Since you had been refunded in full for the carbon fiber work and a new core had been ordered from Porsche per your request, the carbon fiber set we had made for you was no longer "yours."

I even reached out to after you had been refunded and the brand new set of core trim had been returned to you to see if there was anything else I could do for you, and you responded that I shouldn't bother you again, so I didn't.

I still have all these emails. I'd be more than happy to post a PDF of them and the timeline of events for all to see.

As I said earlier, I really do apologize that your original order had quality issues and I wasn't comfortable sending it out to you. But I'd rather have a customer be upset that his parts were late or give him a refund, than ship out carbon fiber that wasn't mint.

If there is anything else I can do to further try and make things right with you, feel free to ask.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

I sent you my parts to coat in CF

You failed to perform the work

I requested a refund of my advance payment and return of my parts

You refunded my advance payment You failed to return my parts

You sold my parts to another without my permission

I requested that you purchase the parts at Suncoast or pay me what Suncoast wanted for the parts

Months later, you had parts shipped to me

My Rennlist and 6speed friends know me.

Now they know you

It is my opinion that this vendor should be avoided.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:46 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rnl
I sent you my parts to coat in CF

You failed to perform the work
This I totally agree with. You paid for a service that you expected to only take 4 weeks or so, and due to some quality control issues, we couldn't make it happen in a timely manner. I gave you updates to keep you in the loop and provided pics of the problems we were having with the finish. You were given the option for a refund a few times but held out in hopes we could fix the issues quickly, and we couldn't, so you eventually asked for a refund and were given one.

This is totally on us and I do apologize that we couldn't make these parts up to our standards in a reasonable time frame. We've changed the manufacturing methods we use and now don't have the same issues, but Richard has every right to be upset about how long he waited for the parts on his order.

Originally Posted by rnl
I requested a refund of my advance payment and return of my parts

You refunded my advance payment You failed to return my parts
This is where I disagree with you. There was no "failure" to return your parts. We could not return your original parts. We have to grind them down to make them suitable for the carbon fiber process. You would have been extremely dissatisfied with us had we returned parts to you that were ground down. Which is exactly why we ordered brand new parts from Porsche for you. And 6 weeks later, once the parts came off back order, you had a brand new set of parts from Porsche to replace the ones we had to grind down.

Originally Posted by rnl
You sold my parts to another without my permission
I disagree with this statement. You had the money you paid for the carbon fiber service refunded to you in full and had new parts ordered for you, so the carbon fiber parts were no longer yours. They were sold in hopes of obtaining a core to return to you.

Originally Posted by rnl
I requested that you purchase the parts at Suncoast or pay me what Suncoast wanted for the parts
Indeed you did. But you had stated that Suncoast wanted $1632.88 for an incomplete set of trim that was missing a shifter piece, when we pay $337 for the full set of trim. I'm not sure why there was such a discrepancy in part costs, but I don't think its a reasonable request to expect to get $1600 refund on parts that clearly don't cost that much. You then stated you'd take a $900 refund on the parts, and then a $600 refund on the parts, and that I was getting a "great deal" on the refund since $1600 was the retail pricing from Suncoast. I didn't feel comfortable with either of these options and offered to refund you the price we paid for the trim plus shipping costs (I even provided you with part numbers and the invoice showing what the costs of the individual parts were), which you refused. Since we disagreed over the price of the core, I felt it was our best option to just wait it out and get you the brand new core you originally requested.

Originally Posted by rnl
Months later, you had parts shipped to me
Again, I disagree with this statement. If you'd like me to post screenshots of the email you sent on 10/29 requesting a refund and the emails of your receipt of the parts some 6 weeks later, I'd be more than happy to. I can also take some screenshots of emails with my supplier about the parts being on backorder. I sent them inquiries every couple days to try and get this sorted for you as quickly as humanly possible. When you received the parts, you could see that they came direct from Porsche and not from me, and I'm certain there was an invoice inside with the cost and the order date. You did not have to wait "months" for a replacement core.

Originally Posted by rnl
It is my opinion that this vendor should be avoided.
I agree with this though. If you're unhappy with my company and the services we provide, thats totally fine. You paid for a service and we dropped the ball and weren't able to provide it to you quickly. You're entitled to that opinion and I have no problem with you voicing it publicly.

However, I do take issue with some of the vague half truths that you've posted in an effort to smear us. Things go wrong in business and in life. I've come to terms with the fact that I will not be able to make every customer that has an issue happy. But I can sleep well at night knowing that when things go wrong, I did everything in my power to get the situation handled for for the customer.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:00 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

From the Audi side of the house, I can tell you that Matt's a good guy and from the above post, he's a straight forward business guy as well. We all make mistakes. You've just to take responsibility for them when they happen. Many people have forgotten that second part. Matt hasn't.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:13 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it's great that Richard posted about his experience with this vendor so that potential customers can be warned, and I think it's equally great that Matt replied to all of this, eloquently and reasonably, so that we could hear his side of the story.

And this is why I don't work in retail.

I'll have to look into this some more when my Audi comes in...
Old 10-14-2014, 04:22 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

As you can see, Matt is long on excuses.

It is my experience he is short on performance.

Hey, it's your money.

You want to trust this guy with your parts and your bucks, be my guest.

I would not trust him to buy a loaf of bread

Matt, go ahead, write another self serving response.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oCarbon.com - 991 carbon fiber project thread