Sponsored by:

oCarbon.com - 991 carbon fiber project thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:25 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rnl
As you can see, Matt is long on excuses.
Nope. I make it clear from the start that we dropped the ball on your particular order. We didn't deliver when we said we would. I didn't make any excuses about that. The quality sucked, it wasn't ready to ship out to you. I took responsibility for it, apologized for it profusely (both publicly and privately to you), refunded your money plus 5%, got you brand new replacement parts from Porsche as quickly as I could, and even reached out to you several times to see if there was anything more I could do to make you happy. Not sure what else I could have done given the circumstances.

It's understandable that you no longer want to do business with me, I don't blame you.

However, everything I've posted in this thread is a fact, a fact that can be backed up. These are not excuses or anything self serving. As I said previously, I'd be more than happy to post our email exchanges if you believe that I am not being honest or am only making claims to support my own interests.

Thankfully I have had quite a few other 991 orders from customers that are very happy with their trim. Sometimes we may take a little bit longer than expected, but everyone is always happy with the end result because we make sure it's done right.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

You know, after I sent my parts to you and you didn't respond to my repeated voice mail messages I wondered just what you were doing. Now I know, you must have been absorbed writing endless posts and emails responding to others you pissed off.

Matt, you win. I'm unsubscribing from this thread. Go ahead and promise them prompt quality service. There's a sucker born every minute.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rnl
You know, after I sent my parts to you and you didn't respond to my repeated voice mail messages I wondered just what you were doing. Now I know, you must have been absorbed writing endless posts and emails responding to others you pissed off.
Richard, I'm still not sure where this is coming from. I have 131 emails from you between the two of us and almost every single one was responded to within 24 hours, save for a few over a weekend. You'd leave me voicemails which I wouldn't get until after hours, and due to our time difference I'd email you in the evening.

Thankfully most of our customers are very satisfied, so I rarely have to make interactions like this, but I do feel as if its important to be transparent as possible when customers are upset publicly. Had you just posted that you were upset with our service, I would have agreed, apologized, and moved on. When you make claims that I withheld things from you for months, that I sold your property to someone else, or that I deliberately ignored you, I have to defend myself as these statements are simply not true.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt,
How well can you match OEM Carbon fiber in a 991 Turbo S? I have the CF trim in my car, and was thinking of maybe having you do a couple of interior pieces, like the fuse panel covers and the inner door sills, 4 pieces total. If you could work me up a quote and PM it to me, I would appreciate it.

Funny, but manufacturers making the inner sill covers in CF will sell you a driver side sill cover, but they don't make the passenger side in carbon fiber for the Turbo, only for the Carrera. The Turbo passenger side sill is not the same as the passenger sill on the Carrera. It doesn't have the umbrella holder opening.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:21 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well that was an entertaining 5 minutes!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad that's over.... mistakes happen all the time and it seems the oCarbon did the best they could (although rnl would disagree). I for one would give them a shot. Matt responded to each and every criticism with a well written response inclusive of a plausible exploitation. And we all know how nice a CF interior is!!

Based upon rnl's hostile posts, maybe just a cranky guy that lives in a "perfect world" where things don't go wrong...... just sayin'

Back on topic, nice carbon parts.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:47 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Glad that's over.... mistakes happen all the time and it seems the oCarbon did the best they could (although rnl would disagree). I for one would give them a shot. Matt responded to each and every criticism with a well written response inclusive of a plausible exploitation. And we all know how nice a CF interior is!!

Based upon rnl's hostile posts, maybe just a cranky guy that lives in a "perfect world" where things don't go wrong...... just sayin'

Back on topic, nice carbon parts.
Yeah, I know, I said I had posted my last comment on this trail of tears but this morning I received a PM from another who does not desire to engage in endless banter or discourse with this vendor.

What was related to me was substantially similar to what happened to me. What was reported to me (so I do not know if this occured) was that

- this Rennlister sent an expensive part to Ocarbon along with a significant credit card payment

- Over a period of months this Rennlister received numerous broken promises but Ocarbon failed and refused to provide the CF coating on the part;

- Ocarbon refused to refund the credit card payment unless the part could be sold to a third party;

- The Rennlister was able to secure a credit card refund from the bank;

- Ocarbon either sold or retained the part as it was not returned.

I suppose everybody who complains about Ocarbon is wrong and Ocarbon is right.

I posted here to warn my fellow Porsche owners of someone who I am of the opinion is dishonest and disreputable business owner preying on folks with more money than sense when it comes to their cars.

That's it, i'm done unless someone else PM's me about this guy.

Back on topic, yes, the parts look really nice...gee, I wonder how they would look on my car...
Old 10-15-2014, 04:15 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rnl
Yeah, I know, I said I had posted my last comment on this trail of tears but this morning I received a PM from another who does not desire to engage in endless banter or discourse with this vendor.

What was related to me was substantially similar to what happened to me. What was reported to me (so I do not know if this occured) was that
Sigh. Here we go with more half truths from you, Richard.

Originally Posted by rnl
- this Rennlister sent an expensive part to Ocarbon along with a significant credit card payment
This customer actually sent me 3 parts. He sent me a giant Renntech wing to wrap and two headlight covers. I really wanted to do this project because it would be something new for us, so I offered to do it at a discount for him.

In regards to the wing my original quote to him I stated the following:

"I think I can do the wing at a discounted $1500, as long as I have plenty of time to do it, as I figure its going to be a ton of work."

The original wing was damaged in shipment and we waited for a replacement, which pushed things back further. We also found out during this time that wing was not fiberglass or ABS as originally expected, but was actually just a foam coated piece, which required more time and work to reinforce it. It was a bigger project than I anticipated, but I stuck with the original quote of $1500 for the work because I wanted to see it through.

Thankfully, I was able to bang out the 2 headlight covers rather quickly and got them off to the customer. He was very pleased with the quality of the work. His words:

"Very impressive! The thin rings neither lost their shape nor twisted during the curing process.

Although tempted to install them now, I decided to wait for the wing."

Originally Posted by rnl
- Over a period of months this Rennlister received numerous broken promises but Ocarbon failed and refused to provide the CF coating on the part;
Simply not true. No promises were made about the timeframe for the wing because of how complex it was. I provided estimates to him and we were on track to meet them. I also provided pictures of the project and the progress we were making and kept in contact with the customer constantly.

Originally Posted by rnl
- Ocarbon refused to refund the credit card payment unless the part could be sold to a third party;
The customer emailed me about a week or so ago and stated he wanted a refund. I explained to him the difficult position he put me in. We don't have a refund policy on custom parts of this nature. Sadly, I've had a few people order custom parts (usually its like some crazy colored fabric that they then end up regretting ordering) and they try and return it or get a refund halfway through the work. I can't afford to just make custom parts for people and then refund them when they change their mind, particularly parts that I'm doing at a discount.

I did tell him I would be willing to work with him though, given that he did own the core and and had paid for the work. I tried to come to a reasonable compromise but he went ahead with the chrageback anyway.

Originally Posted by rnl
- Ocarbon either sold or retained the part as it was not returned.
Part is sitting in my office, as I'm still unsure what to do with it given the circumstances.

Originally Posted by rnl
I posted here to warn my fellow Porsche owners of someone who I am of the opinion is dishonest and disreputable business owner preying on folks with more money than sense when it comes to their cars.
We sell hundreds of parts a year to hundreds of customers and have been doing so for the last 10 years or so. Not every transaction goes smoothly. But I wouldn't still be in business if I took advantage of every customer. I lost money on your transaction, I'll lose money on this one. It happens and is part of business. I make up for it with all the other satisfied customers I do have.

It's my opinion that you're being dishonest about my business practices in an effort to defame me.

I have no problem with you voicing your displeasure about my company, particularly the transaction you had, as long as you are honest about it. But you need to stop making posts that are blatantly untrue.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:13 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

As you well know and as was quoted by you, I was simply stating my opinion - an opinion I am freely entitled to express.

Of course, my opinion of as to whether you are a trustworthy and honest person will certainly change if for example, you ship the part back to that other customer as an example for all who read this thread of your honesty, forthrightness, integrity and virtue. If that happens I would certainly consider our transaction to be merely a glitch in what you seem to be claiming to be a perfect business performance.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

This is becoming tiresome, Richard.

Originally Posted by rnl
Of course, my opinion of as to whether you are a trustworthy and honest person will certainly change if for example, you ship the part back to that other customer as an example for all who read this thread of your honesty, forthrightness, integrity and virtue.
I explained to the customer that it was within his right to do a chargeback and I would not fight it if he did it, but once he did so he would tie my hands in regards to helping him further. The money is now in limbo. It gets removed from my bank account by default when any customer files a chargeback, regardless of who is at fault. It will remain in limbo and will be until his credit card company and my merchant figure out what to do (which could take anywhere from 30 to 90 days). He chose to do the chargeback anyway.

Even once that gets sorted its tricky, because I can't simply just "ship the part back" to him. We've invested countless hours and hundreds of dollars in materials to make it for him. Since he did the chargeback, I no longer have the money, so shipping him a completed carbon fiber part isn't a solution, in my opinion. Furthermore, I can't return the part to it's original form as its been wrapped in carbon fiber. Stripping the carbon fiber, epoxy, and clearcoat off would almost certainly render the part useless, as it is weak foam. It had chunks broken off once already during shipment and will almost certainly incur similar damage if I try and pry hardened epoxy and carbon from it.

Complicating matters even more, is this customer has decided to not communicate about this issue directly, apparently, and is now doing it through PMs with you.

Originally Posted by rnl
If that happens I would certainly consider our transaction to be merely a glitch in what you seem to be claiming to be a perfect business performance.
I've never claimed to have a perfect business performance. I am a human who makes mistakes almost daily. However, I own up to my mistakes and attempt to make them right the best I can. I got you a full refund and your parts returned to you. I'll get things sorted with this customer as well.

I still don't understand why someone who purchased something from me over a year ago, got a full refund plus 5% and brand new parts returned to him, has such a vendetta out for me. Had I kept your money and/or your parts, it would make total sense that you'd invest so much time and effort "warning" others about my business and repeatedly defaming me. But I didn't. And yet you continue...
Old 10-15-2014, 06:35 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Matt,
How well can you match OEM Carbon fiber in a 991 Turbo S? I have the CF trim in my car, and was thinking of maybe having you do a couple of interior pieces, like the fuse panel covers and the inner door sills, 4 pieces total. If you could work me up a quote and PM it to me, I would appreciate it.

Funny, but manufacturers making the inner sill covers in CF will sell you a driver side sill cover, but they don't make the passenger side in carbon fiber for the Turbo, only for the Carrera. The Turbo passenger side sill is not the same as the passenger sill on the Carrera. It doesn't have the umbrella holder opening.
We sure can match the OEM trim on a 991. We could do the fuse panel covers and the door sills. I'd need you to email me at matt@ocarbon.com with your VIN so I can get the correct pricing on the cores we'd need to wrap these parts.

Let me know.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess I spoke too soon what I said "glad that's over".......

Last edited by Michael_s; 10-15-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
I guess I spoke to soon what I said "glad that's over".......
Wishful thinking.

Time for bed, kids . . .
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 PM
nh4
Instructor

Matt,

When do you expect to have pics of the red reflections fabric parts you started this thread off with installed? I really like the look, I'd just be really interested in seeing some photos of what they look like installed.

With regards to the back-and-forth going on... Do you require cores to be donated with an order? I understand not donating one means you'd need to get one from somewhere else and would likely increase cost.

Thanks,

-nh4.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:32 AM
930GT1
Rennlist Member

I feel compelled to respond to the numerous inaccuracies with ocarbons's facts in the hope that future Porsche buyers will NOT make the same mistake that I made in choosing this company.

I finally decided to "contest the charge" last week after getting the run-around for four months with my ocarbon CF overlay wing project. This order was simply not worth wasting any more on my time. Yes, I did receive some headlight rings that were well done but I will be selling those since ocarbon did not deliver on the matching wing. The real issue here, however, is non-delivery of a CF overlay service on a donated part that has a value well in excess of the project cost of $1,500. Ocarbon will cover their costs and then some...

In my opinion, Porsche buyers should stay clear of ocarbon. Here are some of the many inaccuracies contained in ocarboins's posts:

- The wing shipment did NOT create any delays since the wing arrived within a week of my June 2nd payment to ocarbon. The wing blade was drop-shipped directly from Techart and arrived on June 9th.

-This NEW wing was new, flawless and UNBROKEN and replaced the broken wing that I had received on the east coast on June 4th. Techart is known for its quality products and the wing material composition is a hybrid composite polyurethane. Techart allowed me keep the original wing which.

-Delivery promise #1: June 2, 2014: "I don't think it's possible to have it done the first week of July. I think probably middle or end of July is a little more realistic, possibly slightly longer if we run into snags. But this assumes that you get it out to us quickly."

-Delivery promise #2: September 15, 2014: "Hopefully pretty quick here in the next week or two, we have it sanded down once, going to put a little more epoxy on it, sand it down again, then clearcoat."

-Delivery promise #3: October 6, 2014: "I anticipate the wing will be done in the next week or so. Unfortunately big, complex pieces like this often need more work to be done correctly. Right now, the edges and sides still need a bit more epoxy."

Quick Reply: oCarbon.com - 991 carbon fiber project thread