Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leasing, build vs dealer stock?

Old 09-20-2014, 02:38 PM
hjles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leasing, build vs dealer stock?

After screwing around for too long looking for the perfect used car, I have decided to lease a new Targa 4S. The numbers work, and I am excited to get started. I have a couple questions, though.

1) Any significant differences between a 2014 Targa 4S and a 2015 Targa 4S?

2) If I find a car already on a dealer's lot I can get it ASAP, but if I have to order a car, how long (approximately) will it take? 4 months? 5 months? Winter's here are pretty awful, so I guess if I can't get the car now to enjoy the last few months of the driving season, I would rather take delivery in the spring.

3) Obviously color is a personal choice, but I love Mahogany Metallic exterior with Luxor Beige (possible two tone) interior.

This car is pretty close to ideal:

http://www.jimellisporsche.com/certi...12481/info.php

Sadly, Porsche lease terms on used cars are very unfavorable, they won't give you less than 12,000 miles a year, and they force a low residual, so the car linked above won't work as a lease.

4) Which brings me to my final question about this car:

http://brumosporsche.com/new/Porsche...93039/info.php

This car is almost perfect for me, but doesn't have Sports Chrono. I'm not really in love with the dial on the dashboard, it's fine I guess, but I would really like to have the 'Sport' and 'Sports Plus' buttons. This car does have sports exhaust, though.

What would I be missing out on with this car, which doesn't have Sports Chrono, vs. the same car with Sports Chrono?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 03:47 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw this Targa at Brumos on Jun 7. It was their first Targa. It had just been delivered and had not been prepped so we could not drive it. It is beautiful.

My 991 has no Chrono or Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE). Before buying my boring basic C2 I drove 991s with both. Contrary to most folks, I have the basic C2 because the Sport setting in the base C2 was perfectly satisfying for me and the Sport Plus did nothing more for me. Moreover, the same is to be said for PSE. Call me brain-dead if you wish.

Drive both and see if the difference is significant enough for you to be worth the extra money.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hjles
After screwing around for too long looking for the perfect used car, I have decided to lease a new Targa 4S. The numbers work, and I am excited to get started. I have a couple questions, though. 1) Any significant differences between a 2014 Targa 4S and a 2015 Targa 4S? 2) If I find a car already on a dealer's lot I can get it ASAP, but if I have to order a car, how long (approximately) will it take? 4 months? 5 months? Winter's here are pretty awful, so I guess if I can't get the car now to enjoy the last few months of the driving season, I would rather take delivery in the spring. 3) Obviously color is a personal choice, but I love Mahogany Metallic exterior with Luxor Beige (possible two tone) interior. This car is pretty close to ideal: http://www.jimellisporsche.com/certi...12481/info.php Sadly, Porsche lease terms on used cars are very unfavorable, they won't give you less than 12,000 miles a year, and they force a low residual, so the car linked above won't work as a lease. 4) Which brings me to my final question about this car: http://brumosporsche.com/new/Porsche...93039/info.php This car is almost perfect for me, but doesn't have Sports Chrono. I'm not really in love with the dial on the dashboard, it's fine I guess, but I would really like to have the 'Sport' and 'Sports Plus' buttons. This car does have sports exhaust, though. What would I be missing out on with this car, which doesn't have Sports Chrono, vs. the same car with Sports Chrono? Thanks
I ordered a Targa 4S just recently. To answer your first question, there is no appreciable difference between MY14 and MY15 Targas. The 15s have the rear camera option that was introduced through the model range (big whoopie). The big question comes with what will happen with the MY16s, since there is an expected facelift. Most likely the Targas may receive an overhaul consistent with the lift, but other people who have experience with Porsche's mid-cycle overhauls may have more input on how the lifts are implemented through the 911 range (I.e., will it be range wide or with each model successively). I'm betting on the former.

Your second question is tricky. The Targas are a rare breed so they don't have as many allocations and dealers that do tend to sell them quickly and with little discount, although if you shop around you can probably find a dealer with the right timing for the allocation for you +/- right price. For an ordered car you will likely have to wait couple months which will put you into winter unless you're lucky.

My opinion on the last question is purely technical since I don't have my car yet but I would definitely opt for the sports chrono because it is one of he few options that increase performance and will increase the 'fun' factor of driving the car.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

After screwing around for too long looking for the perfect used car, I have decided to lease a new Targa 4S. The numbers work, and I am excited to get started. I have a couple questions, though.

2) If I find a car already on a dealer's lot I can get it ASAP, but if I have to order a car, how long (approximately) will it take? 4 months? 5 months? Winter's here are pretty awful, so I guess if I can't get the car now to enjoy the last few months of the driving season, I would rather take delivery in the spring.

3) Obviously color is a personal choice, but I love Mahogany Metallic exterior with Luxor Beige (possible two tone) interior.

Sadly, Porsche lease terms on used cars are very unfavorable, they won't give you less than 12,000 miles a year, and they force a low residual, so the car linked above won't work as a lease.

This car is almost perfect for me, but doesn't have Sports Chrono. I'm not really in love with the dial on the dashboard, it's fine I guess, but I would really like to have the 'Sport' and 'Sports Plus' buttons. This car does have sports exhaust, though.

What would I be missing out on with this car, which doesn't have Sports Chrono, vs. the same car with Sports Chrono?

Thanks
For a $100k+ car, you should get the car you want, find a dealer with a spring allocation and do european delivery... you wont regret it.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Quite correct!!!!!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Thanks
You *could* look into adding Sports+ aftermarket, I believe that Suncoast had a kit (which requires returning the ECU for reprogramming) that would
enable you to have the button without the wart (clock)
Old 09-21-2014, 08:48 AM
hjles
Instructor

Thanks for all the feedback, my local dealer is checking into their allocations, and will hopefully have an answer for me on monday.

Just to be clear, the car without 'sports chrono' will still have a 'sports' button, just not 'sports plus'?

Also, I had read about the Suncoast kit, but couldn't find any information that it was for 991s? I can only find a listing for 997s.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great color combo. But the light color of the dash has an objectional reflection on inside of windshield, especially in sunlight. I would order car with 2-tone interior, either Black/Luxor or Espresso/Cognac.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:12 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Sport Chrono is a total waste of money, so you should skip it. Seriously. Don't drink the cool-aid. Ditto on the PSE.

That aside, I also think that if you're spending north of $100K, you should not settle for what's on the lot. Order what you want, exactly, no compromises.

And the two-tone interior is gorgeous and worth the money. Go for it!

FWIW, four out of the five (who can remember?) most recent cars that I've bought new were all ordered. My 911S, a C6 coupe, 535i, 335i. A Panamera slipped in there somewhere off the lot. A new A6 has been ordered and will be here soon.

I think I ordered my 911 in late January and it arrived the last day of March. So just a smidgen over 3 months.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:23 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't find a significant discount on a 14 there are a lot of reasons you should opt for the 15.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:55 AM
hjles
Instructor

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
If you can't find a significant discount on a 14 there are a lot of reasons you should opt for the 15.
OK, I'm clueless, can you list some of the reasons?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leasing, build vs dealer stock?