Porsche with Sport Exhaust Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:15 PM
bisel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche with Sport Exhaust Assistance

Hello All,

I am in Scottsdale, Arizona and am seeking a person with a modern Porsche that is equipped with the Sport Exhaust option. The purpose is to assist me with the validation of a product designed to manually control the exhaust bypass valves.

I already have a product for other vehicles, however, I cannot promote it here until I can verify that it will function correctly on the Porsche. I have high confidence it will, but need the assistance to prove it out. If I can prove it out with your assistance, I will then sign up for sponsorship here in Rennlist.

If anyone with a PSE equipped Porsche is in the Tucson or Phoenix area and would be interested in getting a manual exhaust bypass controller at no cost, please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm confused - isn't that what the PSE button does - manually control the exhaust valves?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:05 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Now I'm confused- isn't that what the PDK paddles do- manually control the transmission?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I'm confused - isn't that what the PSE button does - manually control the exhaust valves?
Yup.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe he means someone with the standard exhaust. Perhaps he has a dingdong that allows it to go braaaaap.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM
bisel
Track Day

I hope I am not confused ...

When you press the PSE button, I believe that you then enable the exhaust bypass valves to be opened, however, it is my understanding that the vehicle ECU still maintains control of the opening and closing. Is it not correct that when you press the PSE button, the valves remain closed at idle and do not open until predetermined thresholds are reached of engine RPM and vehicle speed? So, at idle and putzing around the boulevards, your valves are still closed. With the standard PSE option, you do not have full control of the exhaust bypass valves.

If I am mistaken, then I need to order a nice plate of crow. But if I am correct, what I offer is a simple plug and play device that allows the driver to assume full manual control of the exhaust bypass valves and not leave the decision to the vehicle's ECU.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-17-2014, 09:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

^Steve, how do you like your crow? Deep fried? Sautéd? Blackened?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:15 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

As I understand it, the exhaust valves are open when PSE is on. Yes the ECU may regulate the valves a little, but not much, and I don't see any value in this manual device. A tough sell when the PSE is already incredibly good.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

On the 991 S with the factory PSE the valves open automatically on cold startup and stay open until the cold idle drops then closes automatically. If you then press the PSE button it opens the valves and they are open regardless of RPM or at idle until you press the button again to close the valves.

On the GT3 the valves stay closed at lower RPM even if the the PSE button has been depressed. Creates backpressure to optimize torque at lower RPM although some owners defeat the valves so it stays open all the time!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,745 Likes on 4,765 Posts

And here I thought OP was going to do an aftermarket mod that would keep the PSE button 'on' as a default when starting the car.

Oh well ...
Old 09-17-2014, 11:07 PM
bisel
Track Day

I have developed this product for Ferrari. On Ferrari's, there is no "exhaust" button. The ECU controls the valves and they open around 4000 RPM or so.

As one person explained, there seems to be minor differences on Porsche and how the ECU controls the valves. What I need to determine is if there is power delivered to the vacuum solenoid valve. I expect that there is one one side. The ECU likely controls the ground side of the vacuum solenoid valve. If there is power there, then the device I developed will open those valves regardless of the PSE button.

Am looking for someone who wants to assist me to determine if that is the case. With help to get to the vacuum solenoid valve, I can determine if the device will be able to give you control the valves. Otherwise, i might have to get some crow meat.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Some of this depends on the model.....

991 Carrera Stock: No valves, just a regular pipe

991 S Carrera Stock: Has bypass Valves WITHOUT the PSE. They are "ON" at idle, "OFF once you step on the gas, and come back on at 3,300 RPM.

Porsche Sport Exhaust: On both Carrera and "S" has the "on" and "off" switch to control the sound level.

So, it depends on the model you are targeting. To me, it sounds that what you are developing applies best to a 991 S without PSE.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:39 AM
bisel
Track Day

I need to get better educated on Porshe's ... thank you all for the advice.

Now, just to get someone in Arizona with a Porsche to step forward. Either that, or I am going to have buy me a P-car.

Thanks,

Steve

Originally Posted by drcollie
Some of this depends on the model.....

991 Carrera Stock: No valves, just a regular pipe

991 S Carrera Stock: Has bypass Valves WITHOUT the PSE. They are "ON" at idle, "OFF once you step on the gas, and come back on at 3,300 RPM.

Porsche Sport Exhaust: On both Carrera and "S" has the "on" and "off" switch to control the sound level.

So, it depends on the model you are targeting. To me, it sounds that what you are developing applies best to a 991 S without PSE.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:56 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bisel
I need to get better educated on Porshe's ... thank you all for the advice.

Now, just to get someone in Arizona with a Porsche to step forward. Either that, or I am going to have buy me a P-car.

Thanks,

Steve
I honestly think this product is of little value for Porsches - The only model it would benefit is the non-PSE carrera S. And there's not enough out there for it to be worth your time. Just my $.02
Old 09-18-2014, 05:13 PM
bisel
Track Day

Thanks for that, Sean. You are probably right. I have posted this message on other forums as well and no takers.

Anyone else share this opinion? I certainly would rather focus my efforts where it will do the most good. I have a long client list of Ferrari owners and since there are more P-cars than F-cars, I was hoping to expand my potential audience.

Thanks to you all ...

Regards,

Steve

Originally Posted by sgroer
I honestly think this product is of little value for Porsches - The only model it would benefit is the non-PSE carrera S. And there's not enough out there for it to be worth your time. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Porsche with Sport Exhaust Assistance